My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I did some work on my 1993 Troybilt Echno horse (6hp) Tecumseh H60 engine. I rebuilt the carb and ran new fuel lines. I did a bit too much disasebly and unhooked the linkages for the carb taking off the shrowd.

so I had it working last season, but had to use the throttle to control engine speed manually. the govenor was not speeding up/slowing down the engine as you started/stopped tilling.

I could have not gotten the linkages in the right holes, but I thought i did. or perhaps i have to litte or to much wrap in the spring (throttle?).

If i manually pull the govenor lever it moves easily and speeds up the engine so that is not frozen, it just isnt get enough pressure to move it easily.

Anyone know what holes the linkages should be in? Any ideas what to adjust?

Thanks, Pat

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
these things are a nightmare...

As far as I can remember, on these, the throttle/carb linkage goes into the top hole, farthest from the carb, on the outer tab on the control panel...And then the governor arm runs behind the carb, and hooks into the center, nearest hole on the control panel. So when the throttle level is lifted UP..it tightens the spring between the tab and lever..and pushes the throttle open...forcing the governor to compensate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Red. You have a good memory to remember which holes to use. I found a picture in the tiller book that showed that linkage and you have the correct holes. I had the govener hole wrong so i fixed that. However it stil does not adjust the engine speed unless i move it by hand. While working it is pushed all the way back (i.e. slow). it does not move forward when it starts working. If engine is stopped, i can move it fairly easily.

I am wondering about the speed control spring. I removed this and see there is no tension on it. It is basically doing nothing. Is that correct? Or does it need to be wrapped around a turn. Of course that seems like it would have a lot of tenion then.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks Red. You have a good memory to remember which holes to use. I found a picture in the tiller book that showed that linkage and you have the correct holes. I had the govener hole wrong so i fixed that. However it stil does not adjust the engine speed unless i move it by hand. While working it is pushed all the way back (i.e. slow). it does not move forward when it starts working. If engine is stopped, i can move it fairly easily.

I am wondering about the speed control spring. I removed this and see there is no tension on it. It is basically doing nothing. Is that correct? Or does it need to be wrapped around a turn. Of course that seems like it would have a lot of tenion then.
It wouldn't hurt to try to put a little tension on that spring to see if it helps. I am wondering though if it might be something wrong internally though with the governor gear assembly?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
The governor is designed to slow the engine down, not speed it up. The throttle plates should be pulled towards 'open' the more you move the control from idle or slow position. They are spring loaded to pull on the throttle lever, and would grenade the engine if the governor was not working.
The governor 'governs' or 'rules' the rotational speed the engine is allowed to turn. When the rpms increase, the governor gets stronger, and pulls harder against the above mentioned throttle spring. The governor should always win, or you get the chunks of rod prize in the crankcase, or hole in the block clue that something has gone rong.
If the governor doesn't start to pull immediately after you start the engine, it is dysfunctional. If the throttle plate is not pulled to 'wide open' when you move the control with the engine not running, the control / spring are not working properly.
Once both work right, the engine should fire up, and settle to a speed, and not go into runaway rpms, nor fall on its face.
tom

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
The Tecumseh big block (6 - 10 HP H & HH) has what it referred to as a reversed governor, so it is a bit harder to adjust. The governor is located in the PTO side housing with a large C-shaped arm attached. On the top of the arm is a short lever that attaches with a screw. To adjust the governor, loosen the screw and change the position of the the short arm in slight increments. Do this with the engine shut off to avoid a mistake runaway. The big block governor works backward to the small block governor, hence the name "reversed".

Small block engines (H 35 - H40, HS series) have the governor mounted in the base, with the arm coming out below the carburetor.

Throttle cable attaches to the governor via a spring. When you adjust the throttle cable to full throttle, the spring that puts tension on the governor to over ride the constant pull of the governor to return the engine to an idle. If the spring is not putting tension on the governor to pull the throttle open, then it will not work properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts