My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I’ve eyeballed that a few times. It’s a pretty cool set up, one you don’t see very often.. and it’s only one town over! I just know it’s not big enough for what I need a BH for. I have my heart set on a 1 or 2 series someday. My plan all along has been to end up with a X595 for lawn and snow duty, and a 1-2 series TLB for the serious work. This purchase was the first step in that plan. Next year.. hopefully.. I’ll sell the X748 once I find the right deal on a 1-2.
Just for my education and maybe a few others. I’m confused. Why buy an X595 and sell the X748? They look like the same tractor with the X748 just being newer. What capability or feature do you get with the X595 that you don’t get with the X748?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice catch. Cleaned up and looking good! Around here meatballs put up ads on CL and don't respond. You got lucky on two counts!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just for my education and maybe a few others. I’m confused. Why buy an X595 and sell the X748? They look like the same tractor with the X748 just being newer. What capability or feature do you get with the X595 that you don’t get with the X748?
@FTWingRiders - Also i'm curious why you'd sell an x748 and keep an x595 as @RT3360 is.
You’re right.. Almost the same machines, same Yanmar, same K92, same dimensions, the X595 has a slightly stronger hydraulics, which it moot as I increase them anyway.

Two factors... and these are just purely my personal preference..

the X595 is MFWD.. I like being able to switch from 2-4wd.. I know the HFWD is a nice system, nothing wrong with it.. but when I mow, I like 2WD. I feel, IMHO, the X595 is the ultimate.. 2WD mowing in the summer, then you have 4WD for snow duty. I don't need a loader on it.. Its either going to be set up for mowing with deck and Hydro Tilt dump MCS, or a cab and 54" blower for winter.. thats it. That is the roll my 455 does now... quite well actually with only 2WD.. go figure....so selling it to buy the X595 is really just a luxury for me as I've always admired them. That why I bought this one even tho it needs some love.. low miles and a decent price so it still leaves me ahead in my book.

My X748 was a deal I couldn’t pass up for the money... 173 hours with a model 45 loader, cab and blower. But at the time it was a compromise for me.. hoping I could live without a 1 series with a BH.. I realize I can’t.. need a bigger tractor, and it does't make sense removing and selling the 45 loader just to keep the X748 once I buy a 1.. I know myself and will still be yearning for the X595..lol..so I'll sell the X748 as a pkg.

So by selling my X748, which is a higher resale than the x595 or the 455 for more profit I hope, I’ll have more money towards the 1-2.. I’ll buy used when I find that right deal.. it’s coming.. there’s have been a LOT of them sold new in the last couple years.. there’s a low hour tractor out there with my name on it for half off a new one.

So.. in a nut shell.. it really just me being me.. 😜

Ohh.. and as to the hood, I haven't done it yet, but I hear Mothers polish and a gentle touch with a buffer should work nicely.

Reactions: rkr7519 and CCMoe

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was surprised when I heard you bought a X595 and not a 1025. Now I understand the master plan.

Out of curiosity, if going bigger for tlb, why not bigger than a 10 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3,088 Posts
I was surprised when I heard you bought a X595 and not a 1025. Now I understand the master plan.

He may as well get a 3 series with an extended backhoe with a thumb. Also a cab with AC, Heat, Sirius radio, CD player, an extra third, fourth, and fifth valves, and a TV with a three year subscription to the Playboy channel.:rolleyes: You only live once, may as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Well... thats the master plan, Just maybe not the smartest!!! Haha!! The biggest reason is physical size.. I have a lot of trees as you know... in fact Halloween has started here.. and trying to take a larger machine thru where I want to go could be a challenge.. as well as storage etc. I’m HOPING the 1 will be sufficient.. but suspect I’ll end up looking for a 2025 TLB. I’m not looking to move mountains, just be able to dig some holes and play in the dirt.. basically a toy to play with in my retirement, and maybe hire myself out for those small-midsized jobs everyone has. Gotta stop watching TTwT. :LOL:

He may as well get a 3 series with an extended backhoe with a thumb. Also a cab with AC, Heat, Sirius radio, CD player, an extra third, fourth, and fifth valves, and a TV with a three year subscription to the Playboy channel.:rolleyes: You only live once, may as well enjoy it.
Fo big or go home!! That’s my motto!! Haha!! You should see the espresso maker I have on my Goldwing! A 3 series.. sigh.. wouldn’t that be nice, and I’d be happy with only a one year subscription to playboy channel!! LOL!! Well.. and I said above, I’m aiming for a specific category and ability in my ultimate duo.. my wife says I have “tractor issues”.. maybe.. but like you said, you only live once, enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems like a 2025 would be perfect. A little stronger and not much bigger than the 1025. It will probably come down to finding a good deal. Hopefully there will be lots of 1025's out there in a few years.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
What type of jobs do you have planned for the backhoe? I've seen a lot of YouTube videos reviewing backhoe attachments on small Deeres and Kubotas, and the consensus seems to be that their utility is limited, and most people run out of projects for them.

I have rented a Terramite backhoe a few times. I was using it to pull oak stumps and boulders to prep (and later to enlarge) a garden and playground area in my backyard. As big and heavy as that unit was, it was underpowered at times.

And, the power of the backhoe was useless if you were trying to move something really locked in place (like a stump with uncut roots), it would tend to anchor itself with the bucket and move the machine around (which is an eye-opener experience if you're not expecting that).

I'm not trying to talk you out of this purchase, I'm really curious about what the sweet spot is for these small backhoes in New England (granite-land).

I'd love to own something the size of a Terramite, but don't have the budget.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
FTWingRider,

I like your explanation of the 595 assets, the on/off of front wheel assist would be a nice commodity.

CCMoe

·
Registered
470 Posts
FWIW, I have used a rental mini excavator. It might make more sense to rent one for a weekend and save $4k on the price of the tractor.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What type of jobs do you have planned for the backhoe? I've seen a lot of YouTube videos reviewing backhoe attachments on small Deeres and Kubotas, and the consensus seems to be that their utility is limited, and most people run out of projects for them.

I have rented a Terramite backhoe a few times. I was using it to pull oak stumps and boulders to prep (and later to enlarge) a garden and playground area in my backyard. As big and heavy as that unit was, it was underpowered at times.

And, the power of the backhoe was useless if you were trying to move something really locked in place (like a stump with uncut roots), it would tend to anchor itself with the bucket and move the machine around (which is an eye-opener experience if you're not expecting that).

I'm not trying to talk you out of this purchase, I'm really curious about what the sweet spot is for these small backhoes in New England (granite-land).

I'd love to own something the size of a Terramite, but don't have the budget.

Mike
it’s true.. there is a limit what the scuts can do..and as long as you recognize that then you can keep the disappointment to a minimum.. LOL. I just need more than the 45 can do.. I’ve got 10 acres to play with.. with a number of trails we use I want to expand and maintain.
The terramite is a sweet machine, I’ve seen them in action!

FWIW, I have used a rental mini excavator. It might make more sense to rent one for a weekend and save $4k on the price of the tractor.

yeah, that’s a fact.. and I’ve been known to not follow the easy path.. lol. I have umpteen projects that I want to pick away at, and having my own allows me to work a few hours when I have time. I know of a few that I’ll have to plan to rent a larger machine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Today was fluid day. Got the engine and hydro changed. Also replaced the couplers, added a quarter turn valve, and the rear aux hydros.
F1CB9481-CF18-4724-938B-823608FCE8EF.jpeg
F35708B1-8542-4F12-B775-509D1F9D1ED5.jpeg
88338ED5-F5C9-4F38-A1FE-2C98F74EEAF8.jpeg
18BE145D-9EF0-4F8E-AC27-1BC13996EA2D.jpeg
772B8763-05DA-4D19-90CF-3892682E5E88.jpeg

Reactions: No Quarter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tonight I finally had a moment to read through the weekly MTF email and wow! That looks really nice! I just picked up a rescue today and was happy about it. But now I feel that I may need to up my game. Alot! Thanks for all the pictures, it's an inspiration.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Tonight I finally had a moment to read through the weekly MTF email and wow! That looks really nice! I just picked up a rescue today and was happy about it. But now I feel that I may need to up my game. Alot! Thanks for all the pictures, it's an inspiration. View attachment 2473790
That looks like a nice candidate for an overhaul! That has power steering? I really like the 400 series.. Thats about what my first 425 looked like when I brought it home. I don’t try to make Them “concours” perfect... I’m going to use them,but I like going thru and bringing it back to a good “10 footer”.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It’s funny how a few new parts makes Such a difference.. got the cab brackets with new SS hardware installed and the floor and seat pans on. Got the new lights for the rear on but forgot to take a pic before I shut the lights off. Hope to get it out for a test run tomorrow

395918F2-7D45-4830-BEEB-E54C09F88F22.jpeg
B23DAFBF-1654-4B52-9F65-8C2C4C00BCBD.jpeg
CBDFFAE5-F78C-4595-A845-9EA4EAF73189.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
It is amazing how much plastic degrades over time, and isn't easily restored.

We've all seen some incredible restorations here, new paint and decals can really make machines look new, but the plastic is still a tough nut to crack.

Mike

·
Registered
470 Posts
I work for a laboratory that tests plastics. One of our most profitable tests simulates weathering. We have chambers called weatherometers. They have xenon arc bulbs that cost thousands to simulate sunlight and also humidity and rain cycles. The auto industry has a strong focus on maintaining appearance. The additives to make plastic UV stable are expensive. I think JD could spend some more on their resin and have better durability, but it’s always a balance.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Sound like a pretty fun job!

Mike

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lookin good. What do you use the rear outlets for and is that a JD kit?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts