My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. As I might have mentioned in the past, I’ve always had a soft spot for a X595... don’t need one, as my 455 and X748 have been faithful steeds for me... mowing, snow removal, loader and fork duties all completed without any issues or hiccups... however... I’ve always like the x595s.. selectable 4wd, red cap, those awesome Curtis cabs, etc.. I was close a few years ago with a X585, but it wasn’t a diesel. So I’ve always perused the CL listings. There’s been a honey of a X595 on there for a few weeks. 140hours, mint with loader and blower.. of which I need neither, and a whopping price of $14k!!! Nope!! Then last Monday this popped up.

497F531D-FA29-4A4F-B56F-22DE49EF35FB.png

I couldnt resist, and with the wife’s blessing I took the 2 hour trip. 405 hours with a Curtis soft side cab. Got there to check it out, fairly regularly serviced, but not loved by no means... kept outside for the most part. Oxidized hood, Rusted ports, gross seat and years of grass underneath.. the cab not much better with faded vinyl on the doors, Missing rear panel and front skirt. And never hooked up for the wiper and heater.. Sigh... Great condition my butt..
Going to walk away, but he threw out a price, nope..then he dropped some more..

Did I mention the soft spot I have for the x595 yet? So another look at it... ok, the engine is pretty clean, like clean. No leaks that I see, Runs nice.. drives nice.. even the deck's quiet.. hydro is smooth and it shifts from 2-4wd like the butter they do.. All it needs is love, right? Sooooo..... I get followed home once again by an "easy refresh" as I tell my wife..

15FC855D-5A12-4634-8DAF-4C5695270D7F.jpeg

E7A3D686-F4FA-4575-9408-49A8B5609757.jpeg

96B75E95-4053-42B1-8FEF-80DA2C0A9A8D.jpeg

C106AF65-75F8-4D73-A2EA-4DEB6883BB15.jpeg

9BF245D0-A67D-4C0D-B447-A38E771E3BBB.jpeg

Even Scooby has a look of doubt on his face... Too late now, gotta push forward at this point.

Spent a few hours last night tearing it apart, but first that cab needs to be removed.. I'll deal with that later as I promised my wife this was going to be a replacement for the 455, so this needs to assume duties fairly quickly.

FACA94A6-CE7A-41D5-8A34-7C4A5F41C909.jpeg

Lucky for me it had the prerequisite nest under the seat...ugg..

C4DEE694-9261-4211-8841-DFFE4D051741.jpeg

So I spent this morning sweating my butt off with a power washer, Simply Green and a brush..

D2E33BB1-2632-465C-A537-52BEDC62BC98.jpeg

DB4C06F9-44F3-49F4-8AC8-52BC948CACAC.jpeg

Those cab mounts are the stupidest design.. big grass catchers.. those will get the wire brush and a coat of Por-15..

I'll continue in the next post as I'm sure everyone loves pictures like I do..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So by noon and drenched in sweat, gunk and God knows what, and I'm thinking.. what was I thinking?!!? I've got no time for this.. it's fall and I have a million other projects I need to tackle Now, but there only one way to go.. forward. It actually starts cleaning up decently.. and I'm making my mental list of things to order.. need to hide THAT list from SWMBO!! HAHA!!

F68C0AC6-6D9C-45C7-9AED-1E3FAC324DCA.jpeg

B24FE09E-32CA-491D-B404-45F8827C0B2F.jpeg

8CCC9142-2561-4DD4-AF55-DA874A4AE534.jpeg

I was surprised by the fact there there was almost no oily residue in the run off.. and I did power wash up under the front.. I believe the hours on it.. its tight, but boy.. was it dirty!

9682380F-E095-49EC-9A57-7B7C71622142.jpeg

I tear into the deck, as I want to use a PF and convert my Hydro tilt dump MCS to this bad boy.. oh crap, theres another list from AUXHYD I need to place.. Got to grind some of the nuts from the mulch inserts, but otherwise I've seen worse.. has a newer belt and the spindles all seem smooth.

WHY DONT PEOPLE CLEAN OFF AND UNDER THE DECK AFTER USE!!!... Sorry, had to get that off my chest..

I'll undercoat this bad boy with Por-15 also..

59CE6F8B-F61B-4312-8A89-6B46E3697D74.jpeg

EC7944D4-AC79-4141-97EF-15E8B7D56D59.jpeg

E5F3B9EC-A0AF-4197-931E-38E7BC874D5A.jpeg

Anybody have a Powerflow and sprocket they're looking to move on?

So its all in the shop on the lift.. just placed orders for too much from a bunch of venders..

Seat warehouse..
EBay..
Green parts store..
JD parts..
auxhyd.com

Yikes... might go a wee bit over the budget I "mentioned" to my wife.. Oh well.. let the fun begin!!

95D74ED9-4396-4593-81B6-BD7A5DDB7693.jpeg

Going on a motorcycle trip with my step-son this weekend so hopefully they all start showing up shortly..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sure looks like it cleaned up nicely. Should be a fun project.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
That cleaned up rather nice.

I see you noticed the look on Scooby's face as well. I saw him there, and thought "Yeah, here we go again.... ANOTHER one....." :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I’m feeling better about the overall condition.. I just wish they kept it undercover and out of the sun. All those knobs and parts to make it look as good as it can are pricey!
And yeah.. Scooby and my wife had the same look on their face! Haha!

and a pic as to why you should tear apart any new to you machine.. this was under the cover..

168492DE-9E5D-42E7-BCE2-BC78A561A365.jpeg

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks! I’m feeling better about the overall condition.. I just wish they kept it undercover and out of the sun. All those knobs and parts to make it look as good as it can are pricey!

and a pic as to why you should tear apart any new to you machine.. this was under the cover..

View attachment 2472825
For the life of me, I can't understand any first owner of a unit and keeping $15k-$20K worth of equipment exposed to the elements and not take care of it.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Congrats on the new machine, that's awesome!

And agreed, I can't understand why someone would leave expensive equipment exposed. That's a big investment, I'd sure want to protect it!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Congrats on the new machine, that's awesome!

And agreed, I can't understand why someone would leave expensive equipment exposed. That's a big investment, I'd sure want to protect it!
I suppose it's a matter of scale. Maybe he had other, even more expensive tractors/cars/trucks/whathaveyou that took up all his storage space....... Or, maybe he was just an idiot. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
I suppose it's a matter of scale. Maybe he had other, even more expensive tractors/cars/trucks/whathaveyou that took up all his storage space....... Or, maybe he was just an idiot. :D
Tarps are cheap. That could be the very least they do. And I would agree with the idiot comment. :LOL:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tarps are cheap. That could be the very least they do. And I would agree with the idiot comment. :LOL:
If I had only known, I would have bought him a new tarp every month, and it probably would have saved me money..:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
If I had only known, I would have bought him a new tarp every month, and it probably would have saved me money..
That's a good point, this is kinda on you :) Not perfect, but my last one lived under the deck, under a tarp. At least it was somewhat protected.

·
Registered
390 Posts
would have bought him a new tarp every month, and it probably would have saved me money.
🤣 I use one of the Amazon covers. It’s not a barn or garage, but it keeps the weather off. We live in the country and get the occasional pack rat in the yard. I keep rodent traps set under the hood because I see evidence of activity, and they’re too destructive left unchecked.

That tractor cleaned up super nice. I don’t know a lot about that series, but it looks like it’s lacking mostly cosmetic needs and elbow grease. Sounds like you got it for a great price (it’s nice to get a seller that will wheel’n deal) and you’ve got it looking great already.

·
Registered
478 Posts

and a pic as to why you should tear apart any new to you machine.. this was under the cover.

View attachment 2472825

That's why I removed and left all my covers off on top of my deck when I bought my mower. All they do is keep everything in there.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Yours is looking awesome! I've never seen that much grass stuck to the underside of a deck.
I hear what your saying about the amount of work that goes into removing the deck, fender, fuel tank and cleaning the tractor, not to mention the time and mess that it makes. I just did this to a gt235 that I picked up. I would never let my tractor get like that. Most people just don't care.

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Looking great so far!

Mike

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics and the motivation to get rid of everything I own that doesnt have a spot in the garage. Looks like you will have a solid low hour platform for a fraction of new when you are done. Dont see too many 4WD diesels in that price range to begin with let alone legit low hour.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
The tractor is looking great! It's amazing what a thorough cleaning will do. Looks like it will be a capable, solid piece of equipment for you!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts