My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Certified Technician
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one in my shed I got for parts like 15 years ago, forgot i had it. Had spark, missing the loop handle, plug boot, some bolts, av rubbers were all trashed.

Pulled it aoart, piston scuffed badly, rings shot, bore was savable. So i put in new rings, cleaned up the bore, piston, new intake boot, impulse line, carb, fuel line and pickup. Both filters, swapped the points to an electronic module. New caps, plug wire and boot, 4 new av rubbers, new bolts and a used handle. It did start briefly but the recoil broke so I'm waiting on one of those. I wish id never found it 馃檭

Parts collector
My business partner is looking for an .029 if you know where there are any. ;)

Certified Technician
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My business partner is looking for an .029 if you know where there are any. ;)
Curious why an 029 specifically, they were good saws but their power to weight was not the best compared to models like the 026/ms260 039/ms390, 036/ms360/361.

I see a metric ton of 029s and 290a though.

Registered
I found one in my shed I got for parts like 15 years ago, forgot i had it. Had spark, missing the loop handle, plug boot, some bolts, av rubbers were all trashed.

Pulled it aoart, piston scuffed badly, rings shot, bore was savable. So i put in new rings, cleaned up the bore, piston, new intake boot, impulse line, carb, fuel line and pickup. Both filters, swapped the points to an electronic module. New caps, plug wire and boot, 4 new av rubbers, new bolts and a used handle. It did start briefly but the recoil broke so I'm waiting on one of those. I wish id never found it 馃檭 View attachment 2499550 View attachment 2499551
Awesome. It has been decades since I've seen an 031; we sold a boatload of them back in the day. The pulp wooder's in our neck of the woods loved them until the 028's took over.

Registered

Registered
I have an 031av. I bought it new in about 1978 or so. I hsd piston problems with it years ago which I fixed. Runs pretty good most of the time. A decent backup saw for me now. How hard is it to put electronic ignition in it?

Certified Technician
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an 031av. I bought it new in about 1978 or so. I hsd piston problems with it years ago which I fixed. Runs pretty good most of the time. A decent backup saw for me now. How hard is it to put electronic ignition in it?
Wasnt bad, mine had the blue box style condenser so im not sure if it's different but i popped off the flywheel, pulled my condenser out and chucked it, used a dial caliper to mark 1" advance on the stock timing mark on the case, removed the timing key and advanced the timing 28" or 1inch. Then installed the flywheel back. Pulled the kill and trigger wire up and out...snipped them off, used the wire nut to tie the coil wire, kill wire and module wire together...then grounded the other wire to the case.

About 25 minutes...the timing advance on mine is because the module doesnt have the delay the points did.

Registered

Certified Technician
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, I always liked the Z06. It is a real one and not badges and wheels? :censored:

Just dicking with ya.:sneaky:
Oh yeah, real Mccoy, got some texas speed goodies, mgw shifter, R1 brakes, ls7 clutch...love it

Reactions: c5rulz

Registered
I did a little search and found the videos. Helpful. Would the same module work on an 028?
Where do you get the module and what to ask for? I may go back to the videos and write it down to order.

Certified Technician
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Finally got it functioning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts