My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big flatbed arrived yesterday and the fellow rolled it off.
Cut a few acres of very high grass down to 4 inches. Nice quiet machine and very powerful.
I have a few questions -
I am not used to this type of transmission. I had a wheelhorse - put it in gear, let off the clutch and go. This has a 'go-stop' pedal. So,,, what is stopping the tractor when I take my foot off? Is there a brake that is always on?
The white gas tank in the rear - this thing wiggles around in a box sort of structure. I can move it around just by pushing it - it also moves the gas cap a little since they are a single unit - seems to have about 1/4 inch of play. Is this normal?
Do you fellows follow the break in period of 8 hours - did you change the filter and oil?
I have to run out to the garage every hour and sit on it - I feel like a kid. I am still getting used to the shape - it looks more like a space satellite than a tractor, but still good looking anyway.
Thanks,
rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice ride! Congrats!!

I am not used to this type of transmission. I had a wheelhorse - put it in gear, let off the clutch and go. This has a 'go-stop' pedal. So,,, what is stopping the tractor when I take my foot off? Is there a brake that is always on? ]
Basically, when you take your foot off the gas you're putting it into Neutral. If you're on an incline, it'll roll, until you push the brake.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I am not used to this type of transmission. I had a wheelhorse - put it in gear, let off the clutch and go. This has a 'go-stop' pedal. So,,, what is stopping the tractor when I take my foot off? Is there a brake that is always on?

Do you fellows follow the break in period of 8 hours - did you change the filter and oil?

A hydrostatic tranny is basically a hydraulic pump. the forward pedal opens a valve which channels fluid under pressure to an impeller which is connected to the axle by gears. The harder you push the pedal, the further the valve opens, the more fluid is channeled, the faster you go. The reverse pedal does the same thing, but channels the fluid to the opposite side of the impeller, making it turn the other way. This is overly simplistic, but basically what happens. There is an internal brake that the brake pedal operates, but usually you'll only use it to park the tractor on a hill or something. Removing pressure from the forward and reverse pedals will bring you to a fairly quick stop.

I'm not familiar enough with the X3xx layout to know what you are referring to about the tanks.

And yes, I would follow the break-in procedure, if for no other reason than to preserve all warranty conditions.

Enjoy your machine; from the pics, looks like you already are.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU :goodl: and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Registered
25 Posts
A hydrostatic tranny is basically a hydraulic pump. the forward pedal opens a valve which channels fluid under pressure to an impeller which is connected to the axle by gears. The harder you push the pedal, the further the valve opens, the more fluid is channeled, the faster you go. The reverse pedal does the same thing, but channels the fluid to the opposite side of the impeller, making it turn the other way. This is overly simplistic, but basically what happens. There is an internal brake that the brake pedal operates, but usually you'll only use it to park the tractor on a hill or something. Removing pressure from the forward and reverse pedals will bring you to a fairly quick stop.

I'm not familiar enough with the X3xx layout to know what you are referring to about the tanks.

And yes, I would follow the break-in procedure, if for no other reason than to preserve all warranty conditions.

Enjoy your machine; from the pics, looks like you already are.
OK, your answer was way better than mine :thThumbsU

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great information on the transmission. It's hard to imagine the pressures involved inside that box. Yes - it's been a hard two days of mowing to bring the lawn back to order, and great fun doing it. I'm hoping the grass will grow quickly this week so I can mow again. I WILL change oil & filter when it hits 8 hours. Thanks again -
rich

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice looking tractor. Enjoy! :thThumbsU :greendr:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The gas tank moving around sounds odd?I will check mine when I get a chance.I have barley had a chance to try mine out.To busy on the big John Deere's planting season is late this years.I have 2.5 hours and waiting for the grass to grow and time to mow.Yes change the oil and filter at 8 hours the first time.My dealer stressed this when it was delivered.The braking action is normal.Only time you need to use the brake pedal is to start the tractor and to set the parking brake.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
congrats on the new ride... it looks like you put a big dent in that tall grass...

gotta closer pic of your machine?:wwp:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
congrats on the new ride... it looks like you put a big dent in that tall grass...

gotta closer pic of your machine?:wwp:
Hi John - will take some better photos in the morning. All that grass is GONE.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't you just love breaking in new metal?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It gets better each day. Almost 7 hours now in three days - and looks like fresh oil and a filter tomorrow. This engine is a beautiful thing. No trouble at all hauling wagons full of branches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts