My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather being fair today I decided to get all the Lawn Boys going for the springtime. Cleaned them off, installed new spark plugs in them and all fired up with 3 pulls or less. All sound good and sound. Can’t wait to start cutting with them soon!

Left to right: ‘70 5239 Deluxe, ‘72 7260A Deluxe, ‘73 5022 Bricktop, ‘75 5273 Solid State, ‘84 7072, and ‘97 10227 Silver Series. (Off camera is a 5004 C series that’s waiting on an engine)

·
5,307 Posts
Very nice group!! Love the 5273. The one I have has been claimed by my wife as hers. You have an engine coming from Scott for that 5004? Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Wow! That's a real nice line up! Did you crank them all up at once? I think the most I've had running at once was 5 or 6. It's quite a sound when you get that many going at once, sounds like an old WWII aircraft radial engine awaiting takeoff.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! That's a real nice line up! Did you crank them all up at once? I think the most I've had running at once was 5 or 6. It's quite a sound when you get that many going at once, sounds like an old WWII aircraft radial engine awaiting takeoff.
Thank ya Lawnboy77! I did for all the pre-complicance models! I didn't feel like clamping down the bails on the 7072 and 10227. They did sound like an airplane now that I recall. All were wonderful starters which is was a first for me in a while!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice group!! Love the 5273. The one I have has been claimed by my wife as hers. You have an engine coming from Scott for that 5004? Bill
I have to say that the 5273 is one of my fave mowers to use. It's a great little mulcher and runs really good. I think all time fave is my 19 inch 5022 bricktop since it seems the lightest of them all. And yes the 5004 will be getting an engine from Scott! He had a complete motor and did an all around tune-up service. It should run and look really good after it's all painted and put together soon!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
When we were mowing lawns with 3 - 4 Brick tops, I did not want self-propelled as they were too slow and clumsy.
Brick tops, those things were light and easy to push.
Walt Conner
I never liked the SP mowers either, especially compared to the brick top pushers. I honestly think that even after 40 or 50 years of evolution there is still nothing on the market that compares to the old bricks. I will admit that I haven't tried the new battery operated models yet though.

·
5,307 Posts
Rex! Thanks for sharing that video. Just something therapeutic about watching a guy mowing a nice lawn with an old Bricktop. I will assume that is the St. Augustine grass you have talked about. Looks like a bit of a workout pushing even the Bricktop through that stuff. We have some Zoysia grass here in the Midwest that is very dense and the mower does not roll near as well as on a Kentucky Bluegrass blend. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Rex! Thanks for sharing that video. Just something therapeutic about watching a guy mowing a nice lawn with an old Bricktop. I will assume that is the St. Augustine grass you have talked about. Looks like a bit of a workout pushing even the Bricktop through that stuff. We have some Zoysia grass here in the Midwest that is very dense and the mower does not roll near as well as on a Kentucky Bluegrass blend. Bill
Yes Bill, that's the St. Augustine at our old house. Overall I really liked that lawn, but I didn't care for the steepness of the front lawn...and yes it was a real workout on the days when I would mow up and down the hill, as opposed to traversing that front lawn. The great thing about St. Augustine is that it will grow weed free if fed and watered properly, it is so aggressive that it will literally crowd out anything else, the downside is you are mowing much more often than most other grasses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there! Nice to see so many old machines still being put to use!
We have a 1974 Lawnboy Model 5023 - I wrenched the handle off last season at the attachment points. Any idea where I can grab a new handle? I love this machine - starts everytime!!

·
Administrator
20,993 Posts
Think that a handle will be pretty easy to locate. Probably used on many models. Check Craigslist for anyone having a dead LB to sell cheap/give away. Also, right here on this part of MTF we have a "For Sale/Wanted" thread. Make a post there with what you need. What state are you in?

·
5,307 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum! Here is a link to the for sale/wanted section.

Walkbehind For Sale & Wanted

On a side note I also have a 5023 from 1974. Generously given to me by another member. So light and fun to use. Starts with just a bump of the starter. As mentioned, those handles should be easy to find. Not sure what on yours is actually bad. Can you post a picture? Unfortunately shipping from the US to Canada can be pricey. Maybe one of your countryman will respond with some help. Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts