My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 816S that I burned the coil up on, got the new coil and spark was restored. I went ahead and buzzed the flywheel nut off and the keyway wasn't sheered so I knew it was sparking when it should. Then I started back on fuel. Cleaned the carb out again, blew compressed air through all the passages and stuff. Then I blew air back through the line going to the tank and let it run until clean gas was coming out. Then slapped it all back together with a new filter and started cranking on it. First it would only run with the choke on, then after messing with the main jet for a bit I was able to get it running with no choke but it would die at anything less than half throttle. Then I got a new spark plug just because and messed with the carb some more, mainly setting the idle speed screw a little higher and it was running pretty good for the most part.

When I took it for a spin I noticed it was making a bad rattling noise which at the time I thought was coming from the trans, but after going back today and getting video it seems like it's coming from that clutch on the left side. Only in high range too. I think it has a bearing? Low range sounds a little weird too but if that's the only noise it made I probably wouldn't have been so concerned. I'm not sure what these clutches are supposed to look like as far as wear either.

Right side:

Left side:

Here's the video, the time stamps where you can really hear it are :42, 1:09, 1:36 and 2:05.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That must be a 16hp Briggs thing...mine does it too. Mine seems to be from the forward clutch, but it's internal to the trans.

It's odd because my dad's 8199kt with well over 3k hours is absolutely quiet...and it's not had an easy life.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone elaborate on this? Should I be concerned or is it normal and I should just ignore it? Is this a thing where the unique way such a large single cyl engine fires wears out these transmissions? I can't seem to wrap my mind around why this would be specific to the Briggs models. I guess I'm reluctant to just start putting this thing to work if it's just going to get worse and eventually fail.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Look at the thread about my 8162-B, a lot responded its normal and not to worry about it.

Did you change the transmission oil? I eead one persone found that to help immensely...did nothing for mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,192 Posts
From your clutch pics, unless you can take up more slack by pulling the forward (right side) clutch assy. away from the plate by hand with the tractor in neutral, it looks like there is too little gap between the clutch, and the plate. The gap looks more the way it should on your reverse (left side) clutch assy. The gap between the clutches, and plates should be 0.20 thousandths, adjusted all around the circumference of the clutch assys. They are adjusted by loosening/tightening the 2 nuts on the threaded rods.

Have you greased the three small rollers in the plate? No guarantee that any of this is contributing to the noise, but it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I thought .060. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,192 Posts
This is what appears on page 6 in my 810-816 Owners Manuel. Headered: "Forward-Reverse Clutchs":

"Gap-.020-.030 inch (Even gap all around) Readjust clutchs when gap exceeds .050. Adjust by tightening nuts on studs. Be sure nuts are tightened equally."

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine even states to use the key as the gauge when adjusting clutches...but that's an 8123.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have a service bulletin somewhere on why they widened the clutch gap (late '70s, I believe). As I recall they said it was for "smoother engagement." Let me see if I can dig it out tomorrow.

Of course, they could've changed their minds again a couple of years later.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Gravely change their minds? Nah! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was all set to just ignore that noise and move forward with adjusting every little thing according to the operator's manual. Then I took a rear wheel off to adjust the clutch gap and saw it was missing a roller. (both sides were)

Then I took it off and spun in by hand. Also, it looks like there's no clutch left on this one, it was the one on the left.

It sure sounds like the noise I'm hearing, and the other one isn't much better. I assume I need a new one since it's completely worn out but can I just replace the bearing on the other one?

And I also spent a little time cleaning, it's in pretty decent shape.

I still need to clean more, just ran out of purple power.

·
Gravely1964
3,843 Posts
Bad clutch bearing, well makeing noise anyhow. My 818-t is makeing some noise too now. Yes the bearings are replaceable :fing32:

I went threw this with my 82 8163-B

Heres where the saga started bad clutch wheel hubs keyways and all. Starts at post 43 if the formats are off :hide:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/615313-8163-b-2-plus-score-3.html

But some parts some tlc and she's a keeper :thThumbsU

Nice machine, I am some what wanting one more 800 machine before I call my rider collection complete 2 of each series :thThumbsU

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
Be careful with that Purple Power. It removes anything silk screened on the tractor and it can etch paint.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Be careful with that Purple Power. It removes anything silk screened on the tractor and it can etch paint.
Yea, I quit using Purple Power, except parts that are prepped for paint.

The etching Purple Power does is like doing a final sanding that is perfect for paint adhesion, :fing32:

Instead, I clean with Greased Lightning, I get it in 5 gallon jugs at Lowes.

No more etching,,, :hide:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oops, I did see some of the shifter plate paint rinsing off so I went fast and light with it. So did I ruin the original paint in any way? Is greased lightning any easier on raw aluminum? (Not that there's any on this, just wondering for general purpose)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's my first dumb question of the day. When a clutch is worn out do you just replace the whole hub or can you, idk, jb weld new clutch material onto this one?

If you just replace it entirely, what's the preferred avenue for that, eBay? Or Richard's perhaps? New bearings don't seem like they'll be too bad but what am I looking at spending to replace that worn out clutch?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts