My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need all advice I can get right now. I just got home from buying a used engine from an older guy who builds them & repair.

I thought I bought a 350777 18hp briggs? My old one had oil cooler and 15 tooth starter and plastic fins on top flywheel to start with.

One I got home had the 18hp top cover BUT had 1/4inch nuts to shim the top screen up to fit on the CAST IRON FIN flywheel??
And NO oil cooler at all?
AND a 16 tooth starter??

I need to know the bore & stroke so I can compare them to make sure OR any other ways I can be sure what I have??

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Well, if you don't believe the tins are right for the engine, then measuring bore&stroke will tell you if you have roughly the right motor, crankshaft pto length/diameter will also help.

·
4,236 Posts
The tag with the model # is gone? If you didn't pay much I would talk to the guy and if he is resistant....just let it go...if you paid a good buck for it....raise ****...did he advertise it in a misleading manner?...or is it just that you thought it was what you wanted, and turned out otherwise?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tag with the model # is gone? If you didn't pay much I would talk to the guy and if he is resistant....just let it go...if you paid a good buck for it....raise ****...did he advertise it in a misleading manner?...or is it just that you thought it was what you wanted, and turned out otherwise?
Heres what I did
I put both engines [I have another REAL 18hp briggs here] up so I can fill combustion chamber with oil and measure it--Made sure there EXACTLY same setting up-right and did this 3 times and each time my REAL 18hp took more oil to fill chamber so it has to be a 16hp correct?

I wrote the guy 3 times explaned everything and ask if he could explane All he wrote back is "if your not happy bring it back"

So for $300 bucks it,s going back --Unles you guys can tell me something I missed??

I,m up now at 3AM can,t sleep--Dont believe this!!!

·
2,465 Posts
I guess I don't see a big problem...? Evidently there was some confusion, and the guy is offering your money back.

No harm, no foul?

I certainly wouldn't be losing sleep at this point, life's too short. :trink39:

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Two weeks from now, this will not seem important. It is not worth obsessing about how 'some people' make stuff up when trying to sell things. You should be getting a full refund, which is better than a lot of people end up with.
Just be glad of that, and that you found out quickly enough to not waste any more time and emotion on the misrepresentation.
tom

·
4,236 Posts
OK...300 bucks....you are not satisfied, the guy said he would take it back?...Take it back get your refund...and that's that....It does not sound as though he intentionally screwed you...and it is not difficult to confuse the sizes of engines if he tags are missing...as others said...this is not a life changing experience and it can work out well if you just take it back to him...good luck...You do sound like Captain Queeg, though...proving by geometric means the difference :tango_face_wink:...although that was a little bit ingenious of you

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,971 Posts
I need all advice I can get right now. I just got home from buying a used engine from an older guy who builds them & repair.

I thought I bought a 350777 18hp briggs? My old one had oil cooler and 15 tooth starter and plastic fins on top flywheel to start with.

One I got home had the 18hp top cover BUT had 1/4inch nuts to shim the top screen up to fit on the CAST IRON FIN flywheel??
And NO oil cooler at all?
AND a 16 tooth starter??

I need to know the bore & stroke so I can compare them to make sure OR any other ways I can be sure what I have??
Well a 350777 would be a V twin Vanguard and would be worth $300 in good running condition. Your "real 18 hp" apparently a single cylinder, from your description, would be a B&S Intek. Big difference there. In both cases the model number would be stamped in the valve cover.

Walt Conner
k

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
One more opinion. If they guy refunds the money, take it back and find another. Get something you feel good about owning, even if a few more bucks.. Just isn't worth the worry. Just my opinion. Hope this works out for the best for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take it back and get your money back or if he has something that would work to your liking go for it. Just be a little smarter or pay more attention on what you are buying.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well a 350777 would be a V twin Vanguard and would be worth $300 in good running condition. Your "real 18 hp" apparently a single cylinder, from your description, would be a B&S Intek. Big difference there. In both cases the model number would be stamped in the valve cover.

Walt Conner
k
thanks alot guys--Just got back and got money back--He would not even come out to see me face to face had his dummy helper come out hand me 300 and Not a word said--He knows what he,s doing to people

My other 18hp is a V-Twin also and a Vangaurd thats how I can compare them

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot guys--Just got back and got money back--He would not even come out to see me face to face had his dummy helper come out hand me 300 and Not a word said--He knows what he,s doing to people

My other 18hp is a V-Twin also and a Vangaurd thats how I can compare them
I think you guys might like this?? I had Cora wright him last week about a engine just to see if he says same thing to her WELL---Like I said I took back the 16hp today [one he tried to sell as 18hp] And now he e-mails Cora and sent photo just now saying he has a 18hp to sell her now he just got in ---She just e-mailed him and let him know that she knows me and knows what he tried to pull [and yes it,s same motor I took back] ---I could not sleep if I did people like that.

On top of that the plug wires were all ate up from mice and one side was leaking oil AND the one plug wire was so caroated the end broke off,,,,

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think you can find a lot of briggs with same displacement with a different hp sticker. I have 2 vtwins with exact same model and type. Both in white outdoor riders. One says 18.5 hp and other says 20.

·
4,236 Posts
I think you can find a lot of briggs with same displacement with a different hp sticker. I have 2 vtwins with exact same model and type. Both in white outdoor riders. One says 18.5 hp and other says 20.
Kohler too...specifically the JD STX 38 has a 12.5 HP CF12.5-1215 engine....the STX 30 has CF12.5-1216S...9HP engine...but they are exactly the same other than the tag
Since the guy who sold that engine to the OP seemed so willing to just refund his money I did not originally think he was a scammer

However.....I am confused by the OP's timeline , though...he said in his first post which was just yesterday, that he just got home with the engine and discovered the discrepancy...however in his last post ...he had someone contact the seller last week...then his discussion about filling the combustion chamber...then a forum member points out that the model# originally mentioned would have 2 combustion chambers...to which the OP responds that he also has the 18HP 2 cylinder....so how did he mix this up?...something does not sound right here

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kohler too...specifically the JD STX 38 has a 12.5 HP CF12.5-1215 engine....the STX 30 has CF12.5-1216S...9HP engine...but they are exactly the same other than the tag
Since the guy who sold that engine to the OP seemed so willing to just refund his money I did not originally think he was a scammer

However.....I am confused by the OP's timeline , though...he said in his first post which was just yesterday, that he just got home with the engine and discovered the discrepancy...however in his last post ...he had someone contact the seller last week...then his discussion about filling the combustion chamber...then a forum member points out that the model# originally mentioned would have 2 combustion chambers...to which the OP responds that he also has the 18HP 2 cylinder....so how did he mix this up?...something does not sound right here
Been Eaton at me--I am really getting tired of this sight in many ways--The guy tried to sell me a 16hp from craftsman and you guys stick up for him?? Says alot about you ??
Only mistake I put in writing this is [I said 18hp instead of 16]two hours after I dropped off the [16hp] he wrights Cora saying he has a 16hp to sell her, one SO You TELL ME?? He did not have one before????? heres e-mail; I have a 16 hp ready to go now for $300 exchange .]

Why I had Cora wright him I had this little voice saying to check him out and I should have listen to it!!!

I ALSO wrote 3 e-mails explaining all I found and ask [Nicely] for an explanation ALL HE WROTE WAS BRING IT BACK FOR REFUND!] You want that e-mail too?? He covers his but cause now I can,t slam him on line because he,s such a nice guy and gave money back to me, CANT YOU SEE THIS??

·
Registered
432 Posts
Been Eaton at me--I am really getting tired of this sight in many ways--The guy tried to sell me a 16hp from craftsman and you guys stick up for him?? Says alot about you ??
Only mistake I put in writing this is [I said 18hp instead of 16]two hours after I dropped off the [16hp] he wrights Cora saying he has a 16hp to sell her, one SO You TELL ME?? He did not have one before????? heres e-mail; I have a 16 hp ready to go now for $300 exchange .]

Why I had Cora wright him I had this little voice saying to check him out and I should have listen to it!!!

I ALSO wrote 3 e-mails explaining all I found and ask [Nicely] for an explanation ALL HE WROTE WAS BRING IT BACK FOR REFUND!] You want that e-mail too?? He covers his but cause now I can,t slam him on line because he,s such a nice guy and gave money back to me, CANT YOU SEE THIS??
I do know from experience that the blower shroud has to be matched to the type of flywheel fan (cast iron vs. plastic) otherwise some modification will be necessary to make the screen fit. It has nothing to do with the rest of the engine. If someone is trying to swap the shroud that has a big sticker that says "18HP" or whatever then this is the problem they will run into.

In real-life usage, I have not seen a noticeable difference between the 16HP and 18HP Vanguards. And the oil cooler is optional. You can buy a new takeoff setup on ebay for $20. The difference in starter gear depends on the flywheel gear material (plastic, aluminum, steel, etc.). These engines are very customizable so you can get an 18HP without an oil cooler, add one, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts

You didn't have a good feeling about the seller's intentions but went ahead and purchased an engine from him anyway. You discovered something that lead you to believe he misrepresented the engine that he sold you so then you took it back and got a refund. At this point you can forget about that transaction ever occurring, as he has his engine back and you have your money back. I get that you're upset because the guy might be a shady crook, but why waste time and energy worrying about it? His possibly shady business practices no longer affect you so just let it go. There will always be people out there that are looking to deliberately rip you/me/others off with a product or service, it's our job as buyers to be diligent about such things. Relax, have a drink and let it go. :trink39:

·
4,236 Posts

If you are mad at me ...yell at me...not every one...but read your own posts...you started about 2 days ago...saying that you just got home with the engine...then later you said that you had Cora ( your wife?) write to him last week,,,,but the way you worded it....it sounded like Cora contacted the guy after you had brought the engine back...you give a model # which one of the more savvy guys on here recognized as a 2 cylinder engine, but you referred to your little investigation on it as a 1 cylinder engine ( "so I can fill combustion chamber with oil and measure it.... indicating just one)...then you made some reference to already owning another engine....so your story is a little hard to follow the most important thing is that you got your $$$ back and you don't have to deal with him any more...as someone else suggested, if you still need that engine, do a little more background check on what you need so it does not happen again....maybe ask a future seller to have it running for you so you can gt a better idea of what you would be buying...best of luck with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.