My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of the Johnny Bucket Jr. and Johnny Plow Jr. for my X500 a couple of weeks ago. A knee replacement kept me from doing any assembly right away, although I did manage to unpack the parts. I ordered
• Johnny Bucket Jr with 2x Turbo Power dump
• Johnny Plow Jr
• Tooth Bar
• Bucket Doubler
• Joystick and joystick enclosure.
• Brush Guard brackets

Wow, is this stuff top quality! I’ve been reading posts from others who purchased before, and I don’t think anyone had anything negative to say about the entire sales end or the product. I see why. The first thing I noticed was that UPS had managed to shake a couple parts together enough to scratch the black paint off. I sent a note to John, who responded immediately regarding the best matching paint (It is Rustolium Painters Touch Semi Gloss black for anyone interested).

I have a mechanic friend who took pity on me, and volunteered to come over on a Saturday to ‘help’ me assemble the bucket. The instructions have an entire page on identifying the lift vs. the dump actuators. Not needed, as John actually packed each in a separate box, marked, and with the hardware for each inside. My friend took his time, and had the entire bucket assembled and installed in about 4 hours. We had two questions on assembly that weren’t clear in the instructions. In both cases, I sent John an email, and he responded within an hour! Although I am still limited in mobility, I can drive, so I took the bucket for a spin.

As the picture shows, John threw in 10 yards of mulch (JUST KIDDING FOLKS). I had a chance to use the bucket to spread a couple of cubic yards of mulch and it is an absolute dream for my purposes. First time in my life mulch was moved, dumped, and spread without my touching a shovel or wheelbarrow. I used it to clear some funky spots in my driveway, too. This thing is just plain fun!

Thanks to Houseboy for the tips on installing the Joystick using the mounting holes in the deck. I’m 6’3”, and was concerned that mounting it under the steering wheel would be problematic, so on top is perfect for me. I can reach it easily.

We didn’t assemble the plow, as there doesn’t seem to be any snow on the horizon here in Virginia. Not sure we ever will based on the last couple of winters, but I couldn’t pass up the free shipping and interchangeability, and now am ready if and when it does snow. My knees won’t allow me to hand shovel anymore, nor operate a walk-behind snow blower. With a 150’ crushed rock driveway, the plow made the most sense.

One other thing. I had a problem using the bucket – unique to my special X500 set-up. I wasn’t sure that John could understand the issue, or accommodate me in resolving it. After my first inquiry, John started an email dialogue with me, asking follow-on questions, and asking for pictures. I must have sent him a couple dozen by the end. John worked on this issue from when I asked, straight through the weekend, Saturday and Sunday included! His solution is to make a special bracket for my problem, on his time and at his cost! In the end, he THANKED ME for helping him resolve the problem.

Real Customer Service, at reasonable prices, right here in the USA. I LOVE IT!
I took delivery of the Johnny Bucket Jr. and Johnny Plow Jr. for my X500 a couple of weeks ago. A knee replacement kept me from doing any assembly, although I did manage to unpack the parts. I ordered
• Johnny Bucket Jr with 2x Turbo Power dump
• Johnny Plow Jr
• Tooth Bar
• Bucket Doubler
• Joystick and joystick enclosure.
• Brush Guard brackets
Wow, is this stuff top quality! I’ve been reading posts from others who purchased before, and I don’t think anyone had anything negative to say about the entire transaction, beginning to end. I see why. The first thing I noticed was that UPS had managed to shake a couple parts together enough to scratch the black paint off. I sent a note to John, who responded immediately regarding the best matching paint (It is Rustolium Painters Touch Semi Gloss black for anyone interested).
I have a mechanic friend who took pity on me, and volunteered to come over on a Saturday to ‘help’ me assemble the bucket. The instructions have an entire page on identifying the lift vs. the dump actuators. John actually packed each in a separate box, marked, with the hardware for each inside. My friend took his time, and had the entire bucket assembled and installed in about 4 hours. We had two questions on assembly that weren’t clear in the instructions. In both cases, I sent John an email, and he responded within an hour! Although I am still limited in mobility, I can drive, so I took the bucket for a spin.
As the pictures show, John threw in 10 yards of mulch (JUST KIDDING FOLKS). I had a chance to use the bucket to spread a half cubic yard of so of mulch and it is an absolute dream for my purposes. First time in my life mulch was moved, dumped, and spread without my touching a shovel or wheelbarrow. I used it to clear some funky spots in my driveway, too. This thing is just plain fun!
Thanks to Houseboy for the tips on installing the Joystick using the mounting holes in the deck. I’m 6’3”, and was concerned that mounting it under the steering wheel would be problematic, so on top is perfect for me. I can reach it easily,
We didn’t assemble the plow, as there doesn’t seem to be any snow on the horizon here in Virginia. Not sure we ever will based on the last couple of winters, but I couldn’t pass up the free shipping, and now am ready if and when we do. My knees won’t allow me to hand shovel anymore, nor run a walk-behind snow blower. With a 150’ crushed rock driveway, the plow made the most sense.
One other thing. I had a problem using the bucket – unique to my special X500 set-up. I wasn’t sure that John could understand the issue, or accommodate me in resolving it. After my first inquiry, John started an email dialogue with me, primarily asking follow-on questions, and asking for pictures. I must have sent him a couple dozen by the end. John worked on this issue from when I asked, straight through the weekend, Saturday and Sunday included! His solution is to make a special bracket for my problem, on his time and at his cost! In the end, he THANKED ME for helping him resolve the problem.
Real Customer Service, at reasonable prices, right here in the USA. I LOVE IT!

Attachments

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Good to hear the JBjr is workign for you. Thanks for the review! Any more photos? Shadow looks like a good dog, too. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
John Scheele makes a fine Product.
Glad You Like it your JB Jr :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Looks great! I would love to have one of those myself. Would a X340 handle one ok?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I picked mine up at his shop so I got to meet him. Nice guy. Yes, good service. I've had mine a short time but have worked it hard. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
All I can say is its the best attachment I have ever bought for a garden tractor, period!
Love my JB jr.!!!!!!!!!!!:bananapow

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Looks VERY nice. Congrats!!! :congrats:

Super looking pooch too.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I had the JBSR and it worked great and built to last. It's a great product IMO. slkpk

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I had one and It was fantastic. Sold the tractor so I had to get rid of it. Nice heavy build quality, and very useful. Just dont forget you need rear weight, or it can bend your spindles, break your front axle, make steering difficult, and put stress on your frame. Personally I would recommend four suitcases for the back of your x500, and might also include rear wheel weights. Remember the bucket is self has weight alone even empty, best to take the stress off your machine. Your wallet will thank you.:goodl:

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Can you take a picture showing how you mounted the joystick?

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
does anyone happen to have a link as to where one would purchase online and also get a little more information on it?
also, if you don't mind me asking what is the total dollar amount with everything needed?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pictures courtesy of Houseboy, who shared them with me while I was installing..

Also, parts he used -The larger dowel is 1.25" and the smaller is .50". Attached them to an 8" piece of metal strapping you can find back in the lumber section of Home Depot.

Attachments

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Customer service like that always makes me smile, it seems so hard to find these days. Hope you feel better soon, I always enjoy seeing pictures of other people's projects because they help give me ideas.

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
lcornice had his top-mounted on an X530 at one time as well. I think he mounted his similarly to yours, i.e., using dowels. He posted pictures, but I can't find them. Maybe they are in an archive section? :dunno:

Google is your friend, check out these two links for more info and videos:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...96,d.b2I&fp=e7eb8696dcaa4a4b&biw=1232&bih=951

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=187403

NICE, thanks for the links.
My questions have been answered and now I have a NEW item on the WISH list.
:praying:

Shhhhh, don't tell the War Dept. :thanku:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had one and It was fantastic. Sold the tractor so I had to get rid of it. Nice heavy build quality, and very useful. Just dont forget you need rear weight, or it can bend your spindles, break your front axle, make steering difficult, and put stress on your frame. Personally I would recommend four suitcases for the back of your x500, and might also include rear wheel weights. Remember the bucket is self has weight alone even empty, best to take the stress off your machine. Your wallet will thank you.:goodl:
Excellent advice on the weights! The total weight of my configuration must be over a couple hundred pounds, just John's equipment. Even mulch weighs a bit, when you grab this big a bucketful at a time. I'm using 2 suitcase weights and a bucketful of sand in my JD single bucket holder behind the seat. If I decide to work with dirt, I'll need to augment the weights.

Even with that, I've had to engage the X500 differential lock a bunch of times, just navigating around/among my hills and slanted areas. I'm no expert, but the experts on this forum convinced me that I needed a more robust rig for this heavy duty application. Hence, my trade back in January of my X320 for this X500. Thanks for that advice. I just finished a 2-3 hour effort toward my mulching project. The X500 transmission sounded happy - I'm thinking I would have been straining the X320 asking it to work this hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts