My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
ok so i guess i will use the 2 posts the only thing is at the bottom of the right side post i will need two 3/4 or 1/2 ports and one would have to be above the other, or a single port with a t fitting for the suction and crossover tube? isnt a whole lot of space under the lift cyl mounts.

also the suction line from the previous owner was 1/2 npt adapter to -12 jic stuff with 5/8 inside dia. i have a bit more of the same size hoses and fittings from the ransomes that i can use for crossover tube and suction line should be big enough right?

hah now i almost feel like making the posts integral to the sub fame would have made alot of this simpler but then it would have been harder to mount to the tractor

·
21,713 Posts
While you can't actually see the hoses in this pic, there are 2 of them coming off the back of the few inches of horizontal addition to the posts that tuck under the foot rest. One is 3/4" suction line up to the pump and the other is 3/4" pressure line between the posts. The crossover hose has a tendency to hang down almost to ground level and I wanted it strong in the event that it hooked on something. It never did in 22 years of service.

Where you put the ports for the crossover is not as critical as having them in the first place. The preferred position is an inch or so above the port supplying the pump so the pump tends to draw cooler fluid. With the side by side arrangement on my installation, I included baffles to direct the warmer return fluid up the post to keep it separated from the cooler supply fluid coming down the post.

I thought about making both posts integral with a solid connection, but rejected the idea for the same reason that you have done, even though that loader has not been off the tractor since it was installed in 1984.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
well got a bunch of work done on the loader pretty much have all the welding done and fittings lined up just gotta prime/paint all the parts and put it together power steering is going to be a future upgrade. I also picked up a massey mf14 yesterday for 500$ its a pretty stout machine with a heavy duty 2 speed hydro and came with a snow blade and hydraulic lift seems to run pretty good. dang maybe i should swap the loader to it in the future also bonus because the toro greens mower I have for parts has the same kohler 14 on it so thats cool

·
21,713 Posts
The truth be known, the MF14 is a superior platform for the Wright Way over the Kubota. It has the same hydro/final drive as the MF1655 that I did my best to destroy without any real luck for 22 years, and is heavier and wider than the G3200. Any of those points is a serious plus in favour of the Massey. Taken in total, there is no question.

For loader work, manual transmissions take second place to hydros every time. The only thing better than the hand controlled hydro in the MF14 are the foot controlled identical hydros in the next generation of MF GTs, the MF1450-1855.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The truth be known, the MF14 is a superior platform for the Wright Way over the Kubota. It has the same hydro/final drive as the MF1655 that I did my best to destroy without any real luck for 22 years, and is heavier and wider than the G3200. Any of those points is a serious plus in favour of the Massey. Taken in total, there is no question.

For loader work, manual transmissions take second place to hydros every time. The only thing better than the hand controlled hydro in the MF14 are the foot controlled identical hydros in the next generation of MF GTs, the MF1450-1855.
Lol just what he wanted to hear this close to completion. Although, Tudor is right

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Crazy idea massey with power steering, loader and kubota diesel power! Wonder if the little z400 would be enough to run the hydrostatic.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Crazy idea massey with power steering, loader and kubota diesel power! Wonder if the little z400 would be enough to run the hydrostatic.
The easiest way to compare that is to find the motor specs for what you have in each and compare horsepower and torque output. Diesel motors are inherently more powerful per cu. in. than a gas motor of equal size

·
21,713 Posts
Lol just what he wanted to hear this close to completion. Although, Tudor is right

Subframes are easy. My Wright Way was originally on a GE Electrac. I installed it on a new subframe on a MF 12 for 7 years, then bought a MF1655 and built a new subframe, posts and bracing for the loader to fit on that tractor.

For the upgrade in platform, this would be time and money well spent. It can still be used on the Kubota while prepping the Massey, and, like me, find the deficiencies in the first installation and get them corrected for the second.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well heres a pic of the mf14 with the new kubota rear wheel and tires. 24x12x12 on12x10.5 rims i believe what a great fit and it widens the stance a bunch. Looks badass! Gotta do a 4bolt hub/ spindle upgrade and then i can mount the fronts. This is gonna be a sweet machine. Also wondering if i can tap into the stock hydraulics to run the power steering stuff. Also another cool feature is i built a sleeve hitch years ago for a sears gt14 and saved it , well it looks like it should fit on the mf14 and be able to use a hydraulic ram instead of the actuator.

Attachments

·
21,713 Posts
The MF 14 hydraulics will also support power steering. The norm for that tractor is to lift the 3PH or sleeve hitch with a cylinder T'd into the deck lift cylinder lines and using a mechanical locking bar to allow the opposite cylinder to operate correctly.

Several owners have added a second valve set to run the cylinder for the 3PH.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well looks like ill be swappin the loader to the massey its gonna be a better setup just getting ready to service the hydro and wondering what the best fluid is i was going to use dexron but heard 10w40 or 15w40 is good for warm climates and heavy use. Just dont want to use something that's gonna reduce the life of the hydro. Whats in it now almost looks clear like hydraulic fluid and smells burnt but im hoping for the best maybe 15w40 for me? Might be used a little in the winter but we really dont get much snow here on Vancouver island

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well looks like ill be swappin the loader to the massey its gonna be a better setup just getting ready to service the hydro and wondering what the best fluid is i was going to use dexron but heard 10w40 or 15w40 is good for warm climates and heavy use. Just dont want to use something that's gonna reduce the life of the hydro. Whats in it now almost looks clear like hydraulic fluid and smells burnt but im hoping for the best maybe 15w40 for me? Might be used a little in the winter but we really dont get much snow here on Vancouver island
You could look into permatran XL which is what Agco(parent company to MF) ships with their SCUTs. I'm sure Tudor could give you a more freely available and highly qualified alternative whenever he reads this

·
21,713 Posts
I've used Dexron in my MF1655/FEL for 22 years with no problems in temps ranging from -34° C to +32° C (-29° F to +90° F). It has the same hydro/final drive as the MF14. I also use it for the FEL.

Alternates such the multi grade motor oils as has been suggested to you for the mild climate of Vancouver Island are also acceptable, as is Type F ATF and synthetic multi grade motor oil. Once up to temperature, most dino oils have about the same viscosity. It's the effort starting the engine while also turning the hydro and the auxiliary pump for the loader at sub freezing temps that makes the lower viscosity fluids more enticing. That's not really the same concern for you as it is for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
After a bunch of thinking I decided to finish mounting the loader to the kubota. If it breaks then I'll have an excuse to swap the diesel into the mf14 plus i think the kubota front axle is already good for loader duty as it has real bearings and 1 inch spindles. Well see how it works. Anyways i did a bunch of painting and mounted the new tires and started putting it together. Pretty stoked to get it going.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Definitely has similar looks to the case. I like those tractors aswell haha actually like them all. Looking at the front end with the new tires being 1 inch wider they contact the frame at full lock. Going to reduce the travel by welding some little blocks for the steering stops to hit. Slowly but steadily getting it together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well its running just finished everthing and fired it up worked right away!! Super excited to put it to work have a plan for some raised beds and backfilling will be fun now!! Heres one quick pic before i put the wheel weights and go play in the rain!!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 78 Posts