My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
makin noise!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Tractor2:i just got a H16 XL (1658) cheap from an auction, i'm planning to put a snow plow on it and pull a trailer and a drag in the summer. there doesn't seem to be nearly as much info on this model. it looks like the XL was only made in '78-'79, is that correct? also what transaxle is used in this model, it looks a bit different than the one in the tube frames? is the fluid level on the transaxle suppose to be checked with the engine running or off? and what fluid can i use in it?

sorry for all the questions. like i said, i'm planning to put a snow plow on it (that i got cheap at another auction, $1). i have no idea what this plow is from but fitting it doesn't look to be too hard. it has no deck with it and i don't have need for one right now, but i would like to try to use the hydrolic lift arm to raise and lower my plow. i may also enter it in a GT pull if the opertunity comes around.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That tractor uses an eaton 11 transaxle, the tube frames use an eaton 10. You check the fluid level with the tractor off. I used this stuff for fluid when I had tractors with eaton 11 transmissions.

Good luck with your tractor!

Jason

·
makin noise!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks jason, that will help alot.

one other question, it has the origanal Tecumseh OH160 and the breather on top of the valve cover is not connected to anything, is it suppose to be? in parts diagrams i found online it looks like the rubber boot is suppose to connect to a pipe, but they don't call out the pipe or give a good picture of it, it is always on the back side of the piture.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't think it needs to connect to anything. I was thinking it may be some sort of compression release thing. If it is running OK like that then I would not worry about it.

Jason

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is a breather tube The rubber boot connects to the tube The tube has a bend on it and runs down the side of the cylinder There is a bracket that holds it to the cylinder that is prone to failer If you need one pm me and I will see if I have a usable one to sell you I live in the kenosha area where are you located

·
makin noise!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's just the crank case breather, nothing to do with compression release. it runs just without it, as one would expect. just didn't know if it should connect to the air cleaner or somthing like that. that's how it's done on automobiles.

if the missing tube is just to route vapors to the bottom end then i see no reason to replace it.

i live about 30 miles north of Eau Claire, my family lived in Kenosha for awhile when my dad was just a child.

·
makin noise!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The XL's were made from '76 to '93. http://sonnysbolens.com/manuals/xlseries.htm link for manuals.

Jason
yes the XL's were made throughout that time period, but a little searching on sonny's site confirms that the H16XL was only made in '78 and '79. 1658-01 = 1978 and 1658-02 = 1979. other years eigther had a manual trans (G prefix)or different engines (different suffix).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
yes the XL's were made throughout that time period, but a little searching on sonny's site confirms that the H16XL was only made in '78 and '79. 1658-01 = 1978 and 1658-02 = 1979. other years eigther had a manual trans (G prefix)or different engines (different suffix).
Oh, OK. I thought you were referring to the entire XL series.

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts