My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1970 LawnBoy 3056 running this weekend after spraying the governor with a little WD40. Starts up first pull with a couple pumps of the primer button.

I mowed some grass that was between 6"-8" high without an issue. Didn't even phase the engine speed at all. I noticed that the grass looked sorta chewed off which I attributed to an old rusty blade. I took it off and sharpened it then put it back on. Went to some knee high grass and it didn't seem to be mowing any better. I checked the blade again and the rotation and guess what... I HAD THE BLADE ON BACKWARDS. I cannot believe that this thing was mowing through knee high grass without blinking with the blade backwards.
High some grass with the blade on correctly and wow does it mow nice.
It is like a mini brush hog. I cannot believe how well it cuts for a 39 year old mower.

I think I am hooked on these Lawn Boys. This mower will replace my Walmart special trimmer mower. Now i need to find a Lawn Boy with a 21" deck to replace my Craftsman bagger. Any suggestions?

To sum up my investment in this mower...

LB 3056 - FREE
Recoil spring- $12
Float-$8
Fuel Bowl Gasket - $5
Spark Plug - $3
Condenser - $10
----------------------------
Total - $38

·
Registered
594 Posts
NICE find. Glad to hear another LB story that started with a freebie. Before you know it,...... you will have a couple....then they feed after midnight, and well......we all know what happens then.

A garage full of green things with a strange noise and look to them......LOL

·
Registered
373 Posts
For a good cheap (or free if you are fortunate) 21" Lawn-Boy, I'd look for a 7268. '78-'82 is the years they were made. 21" staggered wheel push with the first of the F-series engines. They're torquey and smooth running, though a little more "gurgly" than a D-series. The air vane governor is more responsive to changes in load than the old mechanical type. They'll really snort under load, and have a sound all their own.
Otherwise, a 7264 with the D-600 engine is also a good choice. They're smooth and blissfully quiet with their big dinner plate size muffler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts