My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has been on Craigslist for a while now and initially I said I wasn't going to buy it because I thought the price was too high, but the price came down some so I figured I would grab it. It's a 22035 and the serial number puts it at a 1991 model year. It is complete and came with two baggers, two mulch plugs and a replacement chute door. The seller said he thinks the engine has bad crank bearings, though he couldn't confirm it, but he included a good engine in the sale (and I also have the same one on my 16585).

IMG_20191214_163746452-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191214_160507597-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191214_160558288-1603x2137.jpg

The engine still turns over fine, though I've made no attempt to start it. It was stored inside and looks to have been well maintained. There is no rotten gas in it, the air filter looks almost new, and it's got an NGK plug in it. The fuel filter is on backwards, but it's the thought that counts right? :ROFLMAO: It was covered in a thick layer of greasy dirt, so I spent a half hour or so just quickly wiping it down with some degreaser and here's how it came out.

IMG_20191214_163701308-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191214_163714691-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191214_163740196-2137x1603.jpg

I'm pretty excited to start working on this one!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow that's a lot of wear on the sides of the deck. Evidently someone wasnt a fan of weed whacking. If it does need an engine swap remember that the commercial recoil is taller and the cup will need to be swapped over.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
congrats -you got a real comm toro. amazing mowers. the very best comm mower ever made. seems like you have a good parts stash now. don't sell the other one as you will kick yourself if you need an expencive rare part someday. ihave seen only one Suzuki fail from bad bearings and it was straight gased, it still ran but was noisey, I have never seen an engune with such stout internal parts as these suzuki

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that's a lot of wear on the sides of the deck. Evidently someone wasnt a fan of weed whacking. If it does need an engine swap remember that the commercial recoil is taller and the cup will need to be swapped over.
Yeah I would've liked to have seen the sides not all scraped up, but the deck is still plenty thick there and it doesn't affect the function of it. Plus there are no holes or cracks in the deck so it could be worse. I plan on stripping the provided replacement engine down to the short block and swapping everything over from the commercial engine, so I will swap the cup and recoil. I might replace the pull rope too just as preventative maintenance.

congrats -you got a real comm toro. amazing mowers. the very best comm mower ever made. seems like you have a good parts stash now. don't sell the other one as you will kick yourself if you need an expencive rare part someday. ihave seen only one Suzuki fail from bad bearings and it was straight gased, it still ran but was noisey, I have never seen an engune with such stout internal parts as these suzuki
Thanks, it is a pretty cool mower. I have built up a fairly large hoard of parts for these Suzuki engines. I did tear apart one of the junk motors I had to get a look at the internals and they are very ruggedly constructed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you're going that far don't forget to replace the fuel line grommet that goes into the tank. I've had them go bad on my com toro and my exmark walk behind. It's not fun when you go to shut the fuel off and the line pulls out. Plus it's a fire hazard.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going that far don't forget to replace the fuel line grommet that goes into the tank. I've had them go bad on my com toro and my exmark walk behind. It's not fun when you go to shut the fuel off and the line pulls out. Plus it's a fire hazard.
Sounds like a smart idea, I'll be sure to order one. I've been using Gil-Con Tool on Library Road lately but Jack's online seems to be a little faster and marginally cheaper. And I don't have to drive out Rt. 51.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like a smart idea, I'll be sure to order one. I've been using Gil-Con Tool on Library Road lately but Jack's online seems to be a little faster and marginally cheaper. And I don't have to drive out Rt. 51.
[/QUOTG
Gil-con is terrible. Go see Tom at crossroads. He's much more pleasant to deal with and their prices are much better. My wb belts, toro parts and lb stuff is more often in stock at crossroads too.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gil-con is terrible. Go see Tom at crossroads. He's much more pleasant to deal with and their prices are much better. My wb belts, toro parts and lb stuff is more often in stock at crossroads too.
Cool, I'll definitely try them out.

I guess everything is relative. The "big" Toro/Stihl/Cub Cadet/Husqvarna dealer out my way is J&D Tractor and they are awful. The guys at the counter are always curt and act like you are inconveniencing them, they never have anything in stock, and their prices are astronomical. I've had them tell me that parts are NLA meanwhile I have the same part up on my phone on partstree that says "in stock" and has a price. The last time I was in there a few months ago the guy at the counter scoffed and rolled his eyes when I asked him to double check a part number for Briggs carb kit. I walked out and I won't go back.

I've been trying various places since then but I guess I'm so used to dealing with J&D's crap that I probably don't even notice when some of the other dealers are lousy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cool, I'll definitely try them out.

I guess everything is relative. The "big" Toro/Stihl/Cub Cadet/Husqvarna dealer out my way is J&D Tractor and they are awful. The guys at the counter are always curt and act like you are inconveniencing them, they never have anything in stock, and their prices are astronomical. I've had them tell me that parts are NLA meanwhile I have the same part up on my phone on partstree that says "in stock" and has a price. The last time I was in there a few months ago the guy at the counter scoffed and rolled his eyes when I asked him to double check a part number for Briggs carb kit. I walked out and I won't go back.

I've been trying various places since then but I guess I'm so used to dealing with J&D's crap that I probably don't even notice when some of the other dealers are lousy.
I don't know any good dealers in the north hills so I cant help you there. I don't have any experience with JD dealers but they sound like the Ford parts departments I deal with. Fletcher's in Greensburg is good (I went there often while I was a student at St. Vincent) and Hepler's hardware in Youngwood are my choices besides crossroads.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know any good dealers in the north hills so I cant help you there. I don't have any experience with JD dealers but they sound like the Ford parts departments I deal with. Fletcher's in Greensburg is good (I went there often while I was a student at St. Vincent) and Hepler's hardware in Youngwood are my choices besides crossroads.
Yeah the North Hills is pretty sparse for good mower places. There used to be a great shop really close to me, North Hills Sales and Service, they dealt almost exclusively in Lawn Boys and later Toro and Echo. The older guy who ran the shop retired and IIRC his son had some medical problems that prevented him from taking over. That was the only place around here that I really liked to deal with.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread until now. I was just looking at his Craigslist ad on Friday so that must’ve been right before you bought it lol. That is a super nice machine and it looks to be in great shape for its age. The LH side of my 10651 deck is worn to the thickness of a razor blade but it doesn’t really hurt a thing. I am on a totally different end of town so can’t really speak for dealers in your area. I did see a Suzuki powered toro (pretty sure it was a homeowner model) up at Exton yesterday I’m tempted to bring it home now lol.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somehow I missed this thread until now. I was just looking at his Craigslist ad on Friday so that must’ve been right before you bought it lol. That is a super nice machine and it looks to be in great shape for its age. The LH side of my 10651 deck is worn to the thickness of a razor blade but it doesn’t really hurt a thing. I am on a totally different end of town so can’t really speak for dealers in your area. I did see a Suzuki powered toro (pretty sure it was a homeowner model) up at Exton yesterday I’m tempted to bring it home now lol.
Yeah he dropped the price down to $100 so I figured it was worth it. I picked it up yesterday morning. The deck still has some thickness around the bottom, it's just that lip that is worn away. As bad as most of the dealers are around the northern part of town, I'd rather just make the 45 minute trip to Exton. The homeowner Toro models are pretty nice, especially the rear bagging ones. I've got tons of parts for these if you decide to pick up that one at Exton.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worked on this for a little yesterday fixing the chute door. I tried to swap the plastic door into the metal housing but it won't work. The door is just slightly too big. I could easily file either the door or the chute housing down a little to make it work, but I'd rather just swap the whole assembly over to the plastic one, so that's what I did. Then I test fit a mulch plate and a grass bag. They seem to fit well. The chute is missing a small spring/clip on the non-handle side of housing.

Chute-
IMG_20191216_115455566-2137x1603.jpg

Mulch plate-
IMG_20191216_115440033-2137x1603.jpg

Bag-
IMG_20191216_120046293-2137x1603.jpg

One of the grass bags that was included does not work, it is for a push model and has a different shaped door and frame. The self propelled bagger has a corner cut out of it to make room for the transmission and belt. Seems odd to me that they would go to the trouble of designing two different bags for self propelled and push mowers. Other than the one corner they are the same, and I can't imagine the push bagger holds much more than the self propelled bagger. Just an observation I found interesting.

Different bags-
IMG_20191216_121115468-2137x1603.jpg

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I took the engine off of the chassis today and inspected the "replacement" I was given, and unfortunately both of the motors that came with this mower are junk.

IMG_20191216_201039662-2137x1603.jpg

They are good for parts, but both of the short blocks are junk. I'm not really upset, I half expected that to be the case. I knew that the one was, the seller disclosed that. Still I have the engine that is on the 16585 which runs fantastic so I'll probably swap all of the commercial parts over to it and put it on the 22035, then put one of the junk motors on the 16585 and sell it really cheap for parts. Here are some pictures!

Exhaust port of the "replacement" engine-
IMG_20191216_201133835-2137x1603.jpg

Crankshaft of the original engine. Look how discolored it is-
IMG-20191216-WA0004-1728x973.jpeg

And best of all, look what I found inside of transfer port of the original engine-
IMG_20191216_203821758-2137x1603.jpg

What is it? Oh a throttle plate!
IMG_20191216_203925907-2137x1603.jpg

Is the carburetor missing the throttle plate? Nope! o_O :LOL: this cracks me up.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a good suzuki commercial if you need it.
I may take you up on that. I have to decide if I really want to keep the 16585 together or not. I would kind of hate to break it down for parts just because it is in such nice shape. I will let you know for sure.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
was that motor straight gased to do that to the crank? looks like it got hot. I have a a briggs 12 horse that's survived inhaling its carb throttle shaft screw 2x and still runs

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i wouldn't worry much about the bags on these . these mowers are lousey baggers. I NEVER bag with mine. I I need to bag I use an ariens or snapper. that's interesting about the bags being diff, explains why the sp bag has a decal saying power bagger

1 - 20 of 49 Posts