My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older brother helped a friend clean out his cellar,and they came across an old snow plow for a Craftsman lawn tractor--model # 486.254071-KBGE....
...looks like the one I had awhile back that I think fits the silver 80's "LTV" type lawn tractors...it has a "C" channel with a 1" rod welded across it for the push frame,and the plow wasn't used that much,judging by the lack of wear and rust on it--had a slight kink in one side my sledge straightened out in a hurry!..

I was in the process of adapting a plow/bucket onto my Suburban I made out of a John Deere blade that I had used previously on my Yard-Man,and I got the thrust bars finished yesterday,and the winch mount that slides into the mule drive slot..still have a ways to go before I can use it,still need to wire the winch up,mount it,etc...its disgusting to see how fast the 4 hours between noon and 4 pm fly by this time of the year!..feels like I spend hours working and accomplish nothing!..:mad:..

While I had the thrust bars I made that pin to the lower tabs on the front axle and run back to the rear deck/snowblower mount,I slid the c-channel from this plow under the tractor to see if could be adapted ---and I found it will be pretty easy,I used a pair of U-bolts (AKA as muffler clamps!) to attach the 1" round stock cross bar to the square tube bars I made from street sign tubing ,and it appears it will clear the steering linkage just barely,so that made me feel good,that I have the choice of using either plow setup--this one has a single coil spring so it can "trip",where as the J-D blade on the plow scoop thing is a solid one that wont give any if it strikes an immoveable object...that one will get the most use in slushy icy snow,when the plow with the spring might flop over too easily...the Craftsman blade is much thinner than the J-D one and I think if I bolted them both together,they still would be less rugged than the factory plow that came with one of my Suburbans!..

Now,if I could only eliminate the "weak" half moon shaped peice that always tends to bust on the Suburban plow before I ruin the existing one somehow..dont appear easy to make a thicker one fit or work using the factory latch setup..for now,my vise grips on the angle lock pin seem to be working to prevent it from angling itself as I plow!...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Sweet! Gotta love free stuff!

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Free is the best. Once it's done it'll be fun trying it out. Hard telling not knowing but we could get a lot of the white stuff this winter.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in no hurry to try the plows out,beleive me!--if it decided not to snow much at all this winter,I would shed no tears...despite having 2 plow trucks and no less than 5 tractors with blades or snowthrowers,I'm not "ready" for the snow or the cold!..they ALL need work and money,and I have zero to invest to fix all they need...I'm hoping if I have at least a couple things "ready",I may luck out and not need them this winter...

·
kccraftswoman
680 Posts
tractor-holic i agree i am not ready either still need to get baby up and running(fix motor , do oil changes for winter operations ,install snowthrower and put on new cutting edge on thrower) and cross fingers that i can make some money to finish the lift assy for the blower. Tootles:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot:050::050:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Yup, we've already had 2 big storms here and I still haven't gotten my Craftsman with the blower ready. Almost, though - this weekend I dug it out of the snow, pulled the bagger and deck off, and pulled the bad transaxle out. Repaired a broken bolt in the replacement transaxle then installed it. I wised up and put the chains on the rear tires before putting them back on the tractor. That worked pretty well. Put the wheel weights and weight tray on as well as the mule drive. Swapped on a new belt for the mule drive first, the one I was using last year had a chunk missing from it. Dug the blower out and brought it around front where it is easy to get to now.

All I have left to do is the head gasket and change the oil but then it should be ready.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts