My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm a Lawn-Boy fan for life now, but, I've always been a 2 stroke engine fan(especially outboards) so how could I pass this up? It's a 20684 and I ended up shelling out $35 for it. It was surprisingly clean for setting so many years. I opened up the carb and it was really full of gunk. Got it running, it runs good but will not throttle down, I think I bent a spring while cleaning the carb so i'll check it out tomorrow. I'm also going to have to get a belt for the self propelled, it slips pretty bad. The cables are REALLY stiff too, so gotta get some lube on them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Check the idle adjustment screw on the carb. Some previous owners crank that all the way in to fix a dirty carb that won't idle and leave it. Mine had that problem and once I backed it out it idled down fine.

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the idle adjustment screw on the carb. Some previous owners crank that all the way in to fix a dirty carb that won't idle and leave it. Mine had that problem and once I backed it out it idled down fine.
Will do, I have had a few engines like that, people think it's okay to rev them to the moon and leave them like that:banghead3

I can't wait to get this mower 100%, from what i've seen so far the engine is very strong.

I gotta fix my LB soon too, hasn't been down for 2 days and I already miss it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Will do, I have had a few engines like that, people think it's okay to rev them to the moon and leave them like that:banghead3

I can't wait to get this mower 100%, from what i've seen so far the engine is very strong.

I gotta fix my LB soon too, hasn't been down for 2 days and I already miss it.
The Zuk is a good motor no doubt. Falls somewhere just about a very healthy F power level. Much better on fuel and vibrations and a sweet sweet sound.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
there is lots of travel on the belt adjuster-might just need a tweak.never remove carb unless ness. try to clean with carb on -you have to bend the linkages to remove them and then adjustment is diff as you have discovered

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice Mower!!

I have two of those stacked in the corner of the garage!!
One was my first mower that i got for FREE in Jan 2009.
Which started me on this little adventure..

They are on my Winter Time Project to-do list..

They multiple like rabbits.. be careful!!

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well got it running great today, I ended up cleaning the carb one more time (and it needed it). Runs great now, and thanks for the tip about adjusting the self propelled, it works great now too. Only problems I have is that the belt/self-p cover bolts have broken off...and the tank leaks around the seam:fing20: not sure how I'm going to fix that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great find. Those Suzukis seem to be very popular.

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started cleaning it, didn't have enough time to detail it like I wanted, but it's okay for now. I'm starting to really love this mower, cut with it for a few hours and it ran great! (Also tryed out my Amsoil saber in it, that's doing good too)

Took a few pictures, and a video, the sound in the video doesn't do this thing justice(my camera is VERY outdated) it makes 2-stroke music.

And I still need to figure out how to stop the tank leaking, i'm sure that others have encountered this problem, I guess i'm using the wrong search terms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZNH7nZx7oY

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Nice looking Toro...I've heard of the tanks leaking before. Dry it out really good and leave the cap off, wipe the outside seam off with lots of rubbing alcohol and spread a thin layer of "pliobond" on the seam and it may hold till you find a new tank.
Pliobond is sold at Ace hardware stores in the glue/adhesives section and is gas/oil resistant and stays softer while holding back the leak...try it.:trink40:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Chris,

you got it running really nice! Has that nice run down after the throttle drop. Good job tuning!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I really like these toros as well, great looking mower.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great find, one of the best-cutting mowers ever made. The deck is in really good shape. I'm loving my 4-stroke Toro. I'd like to find a two-stroke version one day also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts