My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I sold a Duraforce-powered LB tonight and took $25 off the price since he gave me his Toro Super Recycler. It was bought new in '99. He gave me the original receipt and owner's manual. Cosmetically, it is in great shape. The engine had some bad knocking sounds every so often when it runs though. It has an overhead valve 6.0 Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine. Seems to be a pretty high-end engine. It also has a three speed trans. I checked the flywheel key to see if it was broke (messing up the timing), but it seemed ok. Are there any common things that go wrong with these engines?

Please let it be something simple! :praying: I've been wanting a Super Recycler for a while. I only mulch my grass and am looking forward to see how it performs.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, we've been super busy lately getting ready for company this weekend.

·
2 stroke addict
1,101 Posts
that should be fine for the 6hp, i know that is what I set the last 17hp I worked on to, I cant find specs for the 6hp.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
I usually set those to .004 . Those motors are great but if you dont keep a check on the valve adjustment they can literally take themselves apart. While you're working on it, pull out the pushrods and give them a look. If one end looks worn flip them around, some heads have guides that eventually wear down one end of the pushrod. Flipping them over extends the life of the pushrod and takes away the chance of it seizing or bending due to the wear.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice about the pushrods.

I think the noise might be coming from the BBC, but I'm not 100% positive. When I engage and disengage the blade, it makes some clanking sounds and a loud squeel when I shut the engine off. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems like the blade might be slipping. I only mowed a couple of passes, but it seemed like it didn't seem to be cutting all the grass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts