My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a John Deere STX46 lawn tractor for 100% Free the other day, the PO told me that the steering was out, and that there was something wrong with the ignition switch. I pulled the "dash" off and got to the steering gears, the teeth on the steering shaft are worn about 1/2 worn inwards and the cresent moon shaped gears are nearly gone in the middle (steering wheel going straight) is there anyway that I can weld the gears back up to correct size/height and grind it etc. OR do I need to buy used or new parts? Its in good shape with the 46" Black deck and Hydro trans. The hood isnt broken but its not connected to its hinges. Its got the 15HP Kohler Command. Any help? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Nice find :fing32: Free is always for me. So where are the pictures? I would just replace the parts but I don't see why you couldn't weld and grind if you really wanted too. You can lookup the parts on JD's website and if you sign up for a username you can check prices. Or go to keepingitgreen one of the sponsors. https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned I looked it up for you its about $87 in parts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the price info! I'm going to go over to my uncles and see if he can help me weld them back up, he's pretty good at welding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts