My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got it this evening. It is a model M21EMR. It has 3 speed self-propel, electric start, and Fresh Lube. It has 5 HP. It runs and mows great! And it always starts on the first, if not the second pull. As for the elctric start, the battery and bracket or case for the battery is missing. I have a battery, not sure if it is good or not. I got a mulch plug with this one. I tell you what, these M's are some of the best Lawn-Boy's along with the C's. So, I have 2 M's now, plus a bunch of M parts. And I plan to acquire more M's. Here are pics of the newby to me M21EMR and my M21ZMR with this one, which needs some parts (M21ZMR.)

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow. Parts are getting really pricey for these babies. I cant believe how much they want for cables on these.....but I do like the mulching like they say.
Nice find.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Parts are getting really pricey for these babies. I cant believe how much they want for cables on these.....but I do like the mulching like they say.
Nice find.
:ditto: on that parts issue! And thanks for the comment. They cut and mulch like no other Lawn-Boy! How much were one of these new?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I must be the only person that was disappointed with my M. I ended up getting a 10525 to replace it after I fixed it up. If I wouldn't have actually made money on the M, I'd have probably kept it, but it just seemed too clumsy and heavy to do the tasks I wanted it to, it didn't mulch as well as the staggered deck (another place I seem to be alone), and side discharging was a cruel joke to put it nicely.
It also seemed to use much more fuel than the F or DuraForce engines, and didn't have the low-end "grunt" of a reed valve engine.

Just my own observations...I'd still like to get another one if I could find one in nice shape, but it'd be more of a collector piece than a "daily driver". It was an example of over-engineering at its finest. Light years ahead of anything else on the market, but on the flip side, sort of a "me too" machine that looked to be direct competition against the Honda mowers of that time.
A staggered deck mower with an M engine should have been offered. That might have been the best of both worlds, and may have been a very good seller.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
No other Lawn-Boy sounds or cuts like the "M" IMHO. I have three now and I don't expect to be getting rid of them anytime soon. Those "M" mowers leave the best looking cut I have ever seen! I paid $45 for one and the other two were free, which is in my price range. Nice looking M's you have there, enjoy the best Built LB ever made! IMHO

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No other Lawn-Boy sounds or cuts like the "M" IMHO. I have three now and I don't expect to be getting rid of them anytime soon. Those "M" mowers leave the best looking cut I have ever seen! I paid $45 for one and the other two were free, which is in my price range. Nice looking M's you have there, enjoy the best Built LB ever made! IMHO
I agree with everything you said! The Lawn-Boy M's are the best and run and cut great along with some nice features and unique looks. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
i have to agree on the m being over enginerred . when i was first starting my biz -i looked at a brand new m and passed on it cause it was too complex and bought a honda instead.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree on the big and clumsy. I want to convert my transmission if I can......mine has the old style 'good luck' pull back. As for the mulching, I used it on semi-wet 6-7" grass yesterday, and man it ate it up. I like it because is doesn't load up on the blade like my Toro......the Toro need's a better mulch plug design.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow. I can't believe what people let these mowers go for. I got mine for $20!
I want to get rid of my DF as well.......Not liking the surging/steel deck. I think someone else would have more love for it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Back in around '97 or so, I paid $175 for my M21ZMR (premix engine) and had to buy new drive wheels for it, and I also bought the side discharge chute (that I used once because of how pathetic it was), mowed one season with it, and traded it in on a new 10525, and I got $350 for it on trade! Of course, it looked brand new so I got top buck for it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had the M's out for a big mow and those things are the best mowers I have ever used, along with my Toro! They powered through very tall grass with no problems and no bogging out! I love these M's. Great machines for sure.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Hmmmm maybe Ill give a shot at an M engine on a 10515 deck... just wonder about the pulley and belt setup on it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
What makes the M have more grunt than a Duraforce? Does it have an uber long stroke?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmmmm maybe Ill give a shot at an M engine on a 10515 deck... just wonder about the pulley and belt setup on it.
I'd think the biggest challenge would be the exhaust. You'd have to either cut a hole in the deck to let the bottom-exit tailspout poke thru, and then you'd have the issue of making some sort of little deflector underneath to keep grass and debris out.
Otherwise, if one was really creative and had a nice welder and possibly a plasma cutter, the exhaust spout could be relocated to exit above the deck, similar to a DuraForce. The spout would have to be cut off the bottom of the muffler, that hole welded shut, and a new hole cut in the front and the spout welded to it.
With a plasma cutter, the piece cut out of the front could be used to plug the hole in the bottom, or another piece of metal could be fabbed up and welded in place.
Complicated as it might sound, this in my opinion would be the path of least resistance to making the exhaust work. Cutting a hole in the deck would be a bit more challenging to get it to look and work right, if you ask me.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
I see, I dont own an M and actually thought it exited out the top like the Duraforce. I guess that would be no fun to circumvent.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What makes the M have more grunt than a Duraforce? Does it have an uber long stroke?
An M is more reliable in my opinion and M's don't surge like crazy as a Dura Force does. To me, the M series is the perfect lineup of mowers to me.:fing32:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts