My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my neighbor asked if I was interested in a trailer he had. Long story short I bought it last weekend for $30. It does need some work though and it has been rolled over. Also if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how to build a tounge for it I need some help on learning how to make one.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I can't see the steering linkage it's behind the axle. The kingpins are in front, that is where I would hinge the tongue to swing side to side the tie into the steering linkage behind the axle. This could be a flat steel bar or 1"x 2" tubing around 12" long. Then hinge on to the front piece for up and down movement. A 1" black pipe would make a good strong tongue.
then weld on clevis type hitch for the hitch pin.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,104 Posts
For what it's worth, in this neck of the woods, a steerable 4 wheel attachment is referred to as a wagon. A trailer while it may have four wheels does not have any steering. Doesn't make any difference to your question, but might capture the attention of more people who can help.

First legitimate question; do you have access to a welder? You can probably fabricate a tongue and the steering linkage from some angle and a section of pipe. Otherwise, you might find a complete tongue at a farm auction for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the lack of information. I forgot about some of the stuff I should have originally mentioned.

It is set up so that the steering linkage is behind the axel. I will also need to straighten the rod that connects the spindles together becasue it got slightly bent from when it was rolled over.

Also I do have acess to a stick welder at work. I don't have much experience with welding but I don't want to learn more about how to do it. I also have a few friends that know how to weld pretty good.

Another cool feature of this wagon is that it the bed can be lifted to dump it. There are even the mounts for a hydraulic clyinder. :woohoo1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts