My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my mom ended up talking me into taking a kitten home and now I really wish I would have stuck to my original idea. I got a barn kitten, so any knowledge on this cat is very little besides it eats, drinks and poops. A vet trip is in the books for the next couple weeks but right now litter box training is my number one priority. I need some tips on this, I have had a cat in the past but I didn't train her and I was only 4 when my last kitty was litter trained. I also have not chosen a name yet, I'm going between molly and moline (Minneapolis moline).

:thanku::thanku: any tips welcome!

I will get a picture of her later.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Good for you bill. :fing32:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
usually just show them the box and they figure it out:fing32:

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
usually just show them the box and they figure it out:fing32:
:ditto: that's been my experience just set them in the box and they pretty much take it from there.If you do catch them getting ready to go potty in the floor just quickly put them in the box and usually that will only happen a time or two before they figure out the litter box is the proper place to go.good luck!:fing32:

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, I got her in a big dog kennel right now because I can't watch her every move. She is acting like a monkey climbing and doing the monkey bar thing, I put a few toy mice and stuff in there and she seems content them so far. Maybe she will get tired and not run so fast, my mom lost her within a minute of getting her in the door but her meowing was a dead give-away to her location thankfully.

now I'm off to let her out to play.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Congratulations on the new fuzzy companion! Like folks have said, box training comes natural to kittens. In May when I brought home the six week old trio of littermates, I opened the carrier door in their room and they started making the exploratory rounds. Each one of 'em KNEW what the box was for even though at the vet's they only had shredded paper to use.

BTW, I did a bunch of research on "kitten nutrition" since it had been 13 years since I raised kittens. It seems that the best all around bet for an essential kitten (until 1 year) all around food is a specially forumulated dry "kitten chow" (such as Purina Kitten Chow). Right now I'm mixing in about a tablespoon of regular wet cat food with the chow (just to make sure nobody gets "finicky" later on!:D) at each meal. Kitten chow has special amounts of the nutrients that growing cats need for the first year.

And like Monsterj sez, I'm trained already since this time it's 3 against 1!:)

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They can't train me! and now I'm going into protection...

right now she's eating what we have left from my last cat but I plan on getting some kitten chow.

:thanku:

·
Registered
484 Posts
My vet wants us to use the special food she sells, but$$$! Failing that, Purina One is the next best, and avoid the seafood flavors as they seem to contribute to urinary tract infections. That does seem to work, as my current guys have been fed by those rules with no problems. The litter box seems to come naturally to them, just let her know where it is a couple times.
Glad to hear you have a new friend.

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
Bill--In your picture, there almost looks like there is another kitten behind yours. Did your family get 2?

She sure is cute. Is she a bit afraid of people right now? It won't take long for her to get over that, as soon as she realizes that she can train you to cater to her needs. As far as a name goes, there's also Minnie!

You have a lot of advice from the folks already, but along with all the food and litter tips, don't forget to add a lot of love. Enjoy your new little buddy.

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts
Congrats on the new buddy (buddies?)! I agree with Brad - looks like a pair in the pic!

Mowin' Man :trink39:

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Hey Bill, congrats on the new addition!!!

I can tell you are really a cat person and this little bugger got lucky being 'owned' or owning you.

good deal.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only got the one in front, the other 2 are up at my grandfathers farm. We got them for free from a farmer an hour north of us and my mom picked this one for me and here she is now trying to eat my brunch as I type. I didn't want to bring her home but my mom talked me into it, I know I will end up liking her but what I wanted was an older cat that was settled down and now I already like her so I'm in trouble I guess.

I am a cat person all around and over again, I like dogs but they want constant attention and are always under your feet when you are busy. Cats are pretty good at taking care of them selves, they are independent until they want something but you can always go pick them up and give them attention. Cats also don't dig put holes in your yard that will make your back hurt when your done and don't leave land mines so your mowing experience won't get smelly.

I have settled on a name, she responds to molly and I wanted to keep Moline in it so her name is now Molly Moline.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now I have two choices, get rid of Molly or get into more fights with my grandmother. She just got back in town and she was not even in the door before she started yelling at me telling me how it was my fault that my cat was let out by her at night and how it was my fault the gate was open and how it will be my fault when this one disappears.than she went on to tell me how worthless I am and some other stuff about my terrible cleaning abilities when I spent all day today cleaning the upstairs. It is sad in my opinion on how nice she can be until your in the same house, than its **** and if you plan on surviving you better get ready to fight and you better get hard and have no feelings.

Oh well, I guess molly will end up locked down stairs or in my room for awhile until she leaves town again.

That's enough of my problems though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts