My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a complete newbie here. I won an x304 through a sales contest I won with our company. I am going to pick it up today. I have been push mowing a 0.75 acre lot with a large 30 degree grade, so this will be a good upgrade for the lawn.

However, I am in Northern Illinois and we have gotten a fair amount of snow the last 2 years. I am trying to find a low cost entry level snowthrower for my x304. Is the Bercomac the way to go? Or should I get a JD? What about used equipment? I can only seem to find 2 used Bercomacs.

Will be tough to cough up over $1000 for a snowblower attachment to this. What should i do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi,

I am a complete newbie here. I won an x304 through a sales contest I won with our company. I am going to pick it up today. I have been push mowing a 0.75 acre lot with a large 30 degree grade, so this will be a good upgrade for the lawn.

However, I am in Northern Illinois and we have gotten a fair amount of snow the last 2 years. I am trying to find a low cost entry level snowthrower for my x304. Is the Bercomac the way to go? Or should I get a JD? What about used equipment? I can only seem to find 2 used Bercomacs.

Will be tough to cough up over $1000 for a snowblower attachment to this. What should i do?

Thanks!
Honestly? I'd buy a nice walk behind unit unless your driveway is quite long. Less wear/tear on the X304 and just as capable. For me, using the walk behind is a good reason to get out of the house w/ the girls are driving me crazy - I'm happy it takes longer then the tractor mounted one.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you have a lot of snow to plow I would trade it on a bigger deere. Not sure your trany will hold up on the x304.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you have a lot of snow to plow I would trade it on a bigger deere. Not sure your trany will hold up on the x304.
If he's blowing the snow it should hold up just fine. If he's pushing the snow, maybe not. However, the biggest culprit to transmission failure is heat, and its not very hot out when you are working in the snow.

·
Registered
812 Posts
See if the JD Dealership where your company got the tractor will let you upgrade. WIN/WIN situation for both. You get a garden tractor for aroiund $1500.00 that will withstand at least the snow and they make some extra dough. Don't know if I would cut a 30 degree grade with anything other than a push mower though. Maube get one of those commercial grade walk behinds with the sulkie(?).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just an idea.... sell the 304 and buy a good quality self propelled walk behind and a walk behind blower. - I will admit plowing with a tractor is fun. I am sure "blowing" with a tractor would be just as fun !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts