My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is the wrong place but the weather says this is the right time to get (and post pics of) this distant second cousin to Lawn-Boy. And at such a great deal I couldn't resist it on multiple levels. I have a '67 or so 17' Grumman square stern canoe my dad bought new and this 3 hp was perfect for it. The cork float appears to have become saturated and needs replacement so I'm working on that. Easy fix. $25 was a steal for an outboard of any brand, running or not.

From what I read here and there, OMC built the Sea King through its Gale division for Montgomery Ward for a few years. Mine is a 1953 according to what I can find out on the model/serial numbers.

When I turned on the petcock fuel would squirt out the top of the carb like a drinking fountain. It's a 16:1 so rest assured ODF, Croc and es bob...its first running tank will be BeNol. In fact it has a half tank already, waiting for the carb. Enough rambling, here's a couple pics. If you guys know more about the OMC/Gale thing, feel free to correct or add anything, I'm just going from memory and what I read on some random sites...

The sides are with it, just not on it right now since it's in "service" mode.

Much thanks to my neighbor with his vintage Starcraft aluminum boat and Chrysler outboard for giving me a spot to hang it and work on it. Great places to live depend alot on having great neighbors too.

Have the carb off obviously but this thing is in really good shape mechanicaly and decent cosmetic shape too. Not bad enough to warrant a resto. Just a good servicing and a tune up...can't wait to plant it on my Grumman and make my kids laugh if nothing else.

Pretty simple and basic.

Sorry for the long post, just kind of thought you guys might appreciate it. It's a small engine anyway...
Hope you all are having a great weekend...

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
That is a kool lilttle kicker! Good find! Never experienced or used it, but I always read or at least heard that castor, though a great lube, doesn't burn clean and leaves a lot of residue behind?. Thought it was best suited for high rpm protection/racing where tear downs and rebuilds were frequent. You guys SURE you want to be using this stuff so much? Please educate me if I'm wrong or misinformed about this stuff.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, just realized it was you echoman who was talking about the Legend stuff, not es bob...sorry! Just celebrating my find a bit...:trink40:
memory gets hazy at times you know...

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
No sweat! Looks like a water cooled engine also, right? That is kool and unique for the age and size of it.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Your right on the Castor Echoman, it didn't burn that clean and it did leave a lot of residue behind, hence why the engines did have to have frequent rebuilds. But, we are running Klotz BeNOL racing castor, which is a very high quality degummmed Castor oil, and it burns a lot cleaner then the Castor oils of yesterday. Here's some info on the oil itself if you'd like to know about it.

http://klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=6

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
OMC bought Gale in the late 40's to get the engineering of the lower gearcase. They built Gale, MW and Wizard outboard engines and some LawnBoy mowers in the 50's I had a 1957 MW 12 hp outboard in 1982 that was equal to a 1964 15 hp OMC outboard.
Dave

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Also, nice find there Jim, I always liked those little outboards. We have a Gale made outboard in my grandma's basement, it was sold by Goodyear and it even has the yellow and blue color scheme.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Makes a **** of a weed whacker!

·
Registered
373 Posts
One of my co-workers inherited an even older Evinrude outboard. We figured it's from the early '40s. It's a water cooled 1 1/2 HP single cylinder, and it has just a simple venturi carb...No throttle plate, and only a metal slider that covers the intake as a choke. The speed is controlled solely by advancing or retarding the spark. We got it running a while back, and it sounded pretty good. Since then, he tried to fix a very minor fuel leak at the carb inlet, and snapped the brass fitting off. :( It shouldn't be a difficult fix, but it hasn't been touched since that happened.

I've searched eBay and the like, but I can't determine what the exact year of this motor is, or what it's worth. It's in excellent shape with all the original decals and paint intact. Restorable, or useable as-is. I'd give it a 7 on a scale from 1-10.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
That is cool! I wish I had a little aluminum boat for something like that. Keep us posted on how it gets you around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an outboard almost identical to that. My dad come home with it about 1987 or so, and I think dad told me it was from the early 50s. Fuel tank, engine, and lower unit looked identical (at least to the best of my recollection.) Mine didn't have the recoil start though. As I recall, the lower unit was lubricated with grease, rather than hypoid oil.

I remember putting that engine, along with another 3 hp (a 1965 or so Johnson sea-horse with the down-ward angled weedless prop) on a 12-foot jon boat. The pair of 3-horses managed to push it up on plane. I would have run 24:1 TCW-2 oil in it at the time,never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's in very good shape. It's taken a lot of sun rays over the years so it's faded but that adds to the cool. For a 56 year old outboard it is in great shape. No offense to anyone 56 and above since, if everything goes as planned, I'll be 56 someday myself...

Still working on the cork thing. Monday I'll call a local old timer boat guy my neighbor knows. Says he'll either have it, know where to find it, or how to make it. I'll be out on the lake in no time. Up at the farm there's a pond that was dug in a circle so it's kind of a circle track. We canoe and paddle boat around it and it's pretty relaxing. The little 3 horse ought to liven it up a bit and do its part to rid the place of a couple mosquitos with the smoke. Heck I'll even be able to fish in the river now! Good times. Thanks for the looks and comments everyone...

·
Lawnboy fixer & user
530 Posts
When I was 14, my first outboard was the 12hp SeaKing similar to what you have, except 2 cylinders. Yours probably has bushings throughout, with no rollers or ball brngs. The water pump is kinda wierd in those, so make sure you're pumping water out the exhaust. (Your cylinder is gold 'cause it got overheated at some time) Also, carb repair parts 'may' still be available. Pretty simple in there, huh?

Have fun!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Never experienced or used it, but I always read or at least heard that castor, though a great lube, doesn't burn clean and leaves a lot of residue behind?. Thought it was best suited for high rpm protection/racing where tear downs and rebuilds were frequent. You guys SURE you want to be using this stuff so much? Please educate me if I'm wrong or misinformed about this stuff.
Today's castors are designed not to jell and gum up like the old days. Just don't mix them in your gas can or in the tank with other oils. That's where jelling occurs with modern castors. Their biggest downfall is the cost. 32:1 is probably too rich for modern castors. I've been running at 40:1 but not enough to make a good call as to whether that's too rich yet. I wouldn't switch from your Legend though. Sounds like great oil Echo.

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
That is so cool !!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts