My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Case 444 today. Not in the best of shape, but with a lot of elbow grease and some TLC, I think I will have a very nice machine. This will be my winter project. Complete frame off rebuild. Already started removing parts.

Came with a tiller, three point hitch, deck, and has some other hitch in the back I guess Brinley or something of that sort. Wife thinks I am nuts. She can't understand why I keep bringing them home and never take anything away.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Tell her she should be happy that you are like that. After all, you dragged her home too and haven't dragged her away................................ so far....................that is.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been married 44 years to the same woman because I know just about how far to go and that is a bit too far.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
That looks alot like the 444 with 3pt, tiller, deck, etc listed on York CL for $400. If it is I hate you.:trink39:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
That appears to be a great buy and I will be looking forward to the restoration pics.:thThumbsU

Here is your dilema once she's back together and up and running you will fall in love with this machine and may even start to agree with your wife "its time to start getting rid of the others", but don't fret there will be more Case tractors in your future.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep! I already have a 222 that I really like. Very nice little tractor. Even has the original white seat on it in good condition. Those 16in wheeles on the back are really big. What do you call the hitch that is mounted on the back of mine? I also have the three point hitch too. I've got to hurry and paint the Ford LGT 165 I have torn down so I can start on this new project. Now if I could find a smow blower for it I could sell the WheelHorse and at least keep the wife happy.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
That looks like a fun a project and please keep us updated as you progress with it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Congrats km3h seemed like a really good deal :thThumbsU Does it run?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be a sleeve hitch. You can get a sleeve hitch adapter for the three point and then you wont have to switch hitches to use the tiller.
There is an adapter on the three point also. I was wondering what that was. Looks like there is a bar missing to raise and lower the sleeve hitch which would go back to the mechanism that raises and lowers the sleeve hitch. I will call the guy today and see if he has it. I was up on EBay last night and saw that there are loads of spare parts for it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Owners often remove the sleeve hitch lift bar and stick it in the garage somewhere. If all you paid for the package is $400.00 then you bought the 3 point hitch at current fair market value and the guy gave you everything else for free. That's how well you did.

If you parted that tractor out on e-Bay tomorrow, you could easily quadruple your money.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Owners often remove the sleeve hitch lift bar and stick it in the garage somewhere. If all you paid for the package is $400.00 then you bought the 3 point hitch at current fair market value and the guy gave you everything else for free. That's how well you did.

If you parted that tractor out on e-Bay tomorrow, you could easily quadruple your money.
Offered the guy $300.00 and he took it. Very nice old farmer. Spent about an hour sitting around talking to him. He has a barn full of various old tractors. He told me he was older than I was, at 73, and I told him since I was 74, he should give me a senior discount. He did.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks alot like the 444 with 3pt, tiller, deck, etc listed on York CL for $400. If it is I hate you.:trink39:
It is one and the same. Guy was really nice. Got it for $300.00. It is not fair to hate me just because I am beautiful.

If you saw it you should have known it would not stay around very long. **** if he had been asking more and stuck to his guns, I would have paid up. It is very solid, but needs to go down to bare frame and bare metal to restore. Right now I have to finish painting my Ford 165 and put it together before I start on the Case.

He said he had bought it to make a pulling tractor for his wife, and then she passed away recently and he lost interest in it.

Nick

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ask the seller if he still has the lift bar for the sleeve hitch laying around. He probably just forgot about it.

:trink40:

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
It is one and the same. Guy was really nice. Got it for $300.00. It is not fair to hate me just because I am beautiful.

If you saw it you should have known it would not stay around very long. **** if he had been asking more and stuck to his guns, I would have paid up. It is very solid, but needs to go down to bare frame and bare metal to restore. Right now I have to finish painting my Ford 165 and put it together before I start on the Case.

He said he had bought it to make a pulling tractor for his wife, and then she passed away recently and he lost interest in it.

Nick
I figured it was gone the moment I saw it. It was about 100 miles away from where I am I knew even if he still had it, alot can happen between my hitting the road and getting there. That was way too good of a deal to wait for me. You did well. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ask the seller if he still has the lift bar for the sleeve hitch laying around. He probably just forgot about it.

:trink40:
Called him today and he could not find it. Does not know if he ever had it. I don't think I will need one until the Spring so I am sure I can get one by then. Saw one on EBay and I will bid on it if it does not get too high. sometimes it is just as cheap to buy new.
Nick

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Take a measurement between your dash pedestal and the seat pedestal. If you have 13 inches, you have what we call a "short wheelbase 400". If you have 15 inches, then you have the long wheelbase 400.

Any liftbar you decide to buy must be correct for your wheelbase or you will have to modify it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take a measurement between your dash pedestal and the seat pedestal. If you have 13 inches, you have what we call a "short wheelbase 400". If you have 15 inches, then you have the long wheelbase 400.

Any liftbar you decide to buy must be correct for your wheelbase or you will have to modify it.
Thanks for that information. I will do that tomorrow.
Nick

1 - 20 of 55 Posts