My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Caring for pets while traveling can definitely be a challenge.

We have a Litter Robot, which is a nice self-cleaning litter box. They don't give 'em away, but we've had it for 12 years, it's been basically flawless. I'm cheap, and I would replace it in a minute when it fails. We empty the bag (which collects the used litter) once a week, with our 2 cats. There are no special consumables, just the clumping litter of your choice, and any old wastebasket liner bags. I have it on a timer so it shuts off overnight, to stay quiet.

Then we got them a Super Feeder automated feeder. We've had it maybe 4 years or so, it's worked great. You can use your own timer, so I use a digital one (more-precise control), and have it set to dispense 7 small meals during the day. You can use a WiFi-controlled outlet, if you wanted the ability to dispense food remotely. We added 2 additional food-holder cubes, so it holds a week's worth of food. Like the Litter Robot, it's been totally worth it. They no longer wake us up on Saturday morning looking for breakfast, they get breakfast even before my alarm goes off during the week. And their food schedule is always the same (even if we get home late from work), which can be helpful, as cats are creatures of habit.

They also have a simple water dispenser (looks like a Poland Spring dispenser bottle) that holds enough for a week.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them for a week, but we'll leave them for 2-3 days with no concerns. I think we've gone as long as 4.5 days. Last fall we were away for a week, a friend stopped by halfway through the week, topped off the feeder & water, and just ensured that everything was OK. They were fine. I think it's less-stressful for them than going to a kennel. They stay in their house, with their favorite sleeping spots, and their toys.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Sorry to hear of Murphy's passing, true friends no matter what.

CCMoe

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m very sorry for your loss. Just about three months ago we had to put our little Pom down. Hardest thing I’ve had to do in a very long time. I miss her terribly and still look and listen for her.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,220 Posts
I am so sad to hear about Murphy. He looks just like my 10 year old cat Sonny. I thought I was gonna loose Sonny 2 weeks ago, he suddenly stopped eating and drinking for several days, but he is pretty much back to normal. I inherited Sonny from my Dad when Dad went into the nursing home. You have my condolences.

·
Administrator
20,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Much appreciated.

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,982 Posts
Very sorry to hear about Murphy's passing, Brad. My condolences to yourself and Linda.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts