My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have our cat, Murphy, put to sleep yesterday. It was a very hard thing for us to do. Linda stayed with him in the room at the vets office. I could not and really feel horrible about that, like I was abandoning him when he needed me most. He was 18, and other than a couple little issues, in very good health. He had a problem remembering that he needed to use the litter box tinkle in. We'd tried everything and just could not get him back on track. He wasn't suffering from the issue that many cats have with a UTI, just think he may have had a touch of dementia or senility. Never a problem with his #2 duties.

He wasn't a real loving cat as far as sitting on your lap, but he loved to be by you if you were on the couch or would sit at your feet if you were in the chair. When we would go back to the bedroom to watch TV before turning in, he was right there claiming "his" spot right by Linda's pillow. Just an all around good buddy that I am going to miss terribly.

Good Bye, Mr. Murph, my old friend.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,870 Posts
Brad,
Sorry for your loss. Murphy is waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Sorry to hear that...

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
:tango_face_crying:

Brad, I felt your sorrow in your post, it is like saying goodbye to another family member. It really is. You had Murphy a long time and it's hard not to think of you and Murphy together in some form. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, it's painful to lose a pet (family member). While you'll never be able to replace Murphy, I hope in time that you guys can get another friend.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
You’ve lost a good friend, Brad. After 18 years it has to be tough. You and Linda have my condolences.

·
Super Moderator
26,422 Posts
Brad sorry to hear about the passing of Murphy. Our pets really get to us and we miss them just like family. We no longer have dogs because we can 't bear putting another one down, just too tough to do.

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Brad. Having a pet put down is never easy, especially since they become a part of the family. Like Tim, we have not had a dog since having to have our dog of 15 years put down about 25 years ago.

My condolences to you, and your family.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So hard to do. We recently had to do this with our beloved Sylvester. He came into this world wrapped around my wife's little finger. He left this world wrapped around her hand; his head wrapped around her little finger. He was 18. Really sad day, as we had to put down our beloved Boston Terrier at the same time, similar issues for both. Our Boston had been incontinent for over six months and then began having hip issues. He was 15. I still miss them both.

Be aware that there WILL be times that something will remind you of him, then the water works will start. Been there, done that.

My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm so sorry, that's hard. We love our cats dearly, they're furry little family members. If you decide that you do want another furry friend, I hope you find one that will make you both happy. Not as a replacement for Murphy, but as a new member of the family.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,896 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss Brad. Been there. Never easy. You made the right choice.
Murphy had to be confused about other things too, and cats like stability. Life gets scary for them when they don't understand what is going on.
Hope the loss goes easier for you as the days pass.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,667 Posts
My condolences on your loss also...there isn't much that breaks your heart more than losing a pet other than a human member of the family..:(

I have a cat named "Puff-Puff" that is about the same age as your Murphy was,she's been sick off and on several times in the past 4 years--she started pooping outside her litter boxes about 2 years ago,but still pees in them without fail so far..

I get aggravated having to put newspapers down and pick up after her,but she's been good about doing it only on the papers and in mostly the same place..

She was close to dying a few times the past few years,but recovered with some antibiotics and TLC...

I boil chicken thighs and cut them up ,she loves those and when she gets fussy and won't eat her usual wet cat food,I give her some tuna fish juice and tuna,or whitefish cat food--I know they say tuna is "bad" for cats,especially older ones,but the vet said to let her eat whatever she will eat,because they'll starve themselves ,and its better they eat "something" than nothing..she said "what is the right food for an 18 year old cat ?--anything it'll eat"!..

She has been doing fairly well lately,considering I was told 2 years ago at her last vet visit she "probably has end stage kidney disease" and that I'd be back soon to have her put down..she has a little trouble climbing up on the couch now,her legs are arthritic and spindly,so I made a "step" for her to climb up on to make it easier..she is much like your cat,she doesn't like being put in your lap,but will sit next to you and likes your company..
I dread the day I'll have to part with her--she was "mom's cat" and is my last living connection to her,she passed 6 years ago..she's been sleeping most of the time lately,only gets up to eat or go to the litter box..

I think her hearing is about gone too,she no longer hears me calling her,I have to clap my hands to get her attention..
I know she probably isn't going to last much longer,but I dug a grave for her 4 years ago,in case she passed while the ground is frozen,so far she's proved the vets wrong and has lived a lot longer than I thought she would..
I most likely wont have any more pets after Puff is gone,I do not want to deal with another loss,and its not fair to the pet if you cannot afford vet bills..

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's a tough aspect, and I absolutely recognize that there are different answers for different people.

For us, they've brought us so much happiness over 13 years so far, that (I hope) it far outweighs the sadness of eventual loss.

When that time comes, I'm pretty sure we'll look for new furry friends, even knowing that it will eventually have a sad phase. But in the meantime, they can bring years of happy times.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Not so funny how we miss our pets when they go. We have sent 2 dogs across the rainbow bridge in the last 2 years. Hate it.
I once read a quote that a small child had the best explanation = "They have given us all the love they possess and so now it is time for them to rest".
I am sitting here with a tear in my eye reading all of the nice comments. Only pet owners "get it".
The Missus and I had to go away recently for a time and left our dog with our friends the breeders and were not able to get her until the next day. Because we are ready to fully retire we have been discussing no more pets. 1 day was enough. I am sure we will find a travel companion now.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Administrator
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a tough aspect, and I absolutely recognize that there are different answers for different people.

For us, they've brought us so much happiness over 13 years so far, that (I hope) it far outweighs the sadness of eventual loss.

When that time comes, I'm pretty sure we'll look for new furry friends, even knowing that it will eventually have a sad phase. But in the meantime, they can bring years of happy times.
That's true. We have 2 more cats, Rudy and Harriet. Both are wonderful pals. Nice thing about it if we get more, they'll probably outlive us, even if we get one several years old. Could not imagine living without a cat or 2 to keep us young!

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
I'm sure that your other two cats are experiencing some sense of loss in their own way too. Animals sometimes know more than we think.
Animals always know more than we think... :tango_face_wink:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,667 Posts
They are smarter than most people!..

My cat's nose makes up for her failing hearing,I boiled some chicken for her earlier,and it wasn't 5 minutes before she was sitting right behind me looking for a sample!..she was sleeping soundly when I went in the kitchen..

I would have more than one pet ,if I had the means to afford the food and proper vet care,it is SO expensive now to take a pet to a vet,it wasn't this way in the past..and I was better able to deal with the trauma over losing them..my other cat Kit-Cat died in 2013 and I still grieve for him,and expect to see him come walking in the room..had him 11 years,and he was probably 10 when we got him..

I also do not enjoy the responsibility involved owning a pet--I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to my pets---you cant go away for more than a day without having to find someone to feed and water them,and I'd be worried they might mistreat the pet or let it get hurt or killed the whole time I'm away..

A neighbor hired a "dog sitter" a few years ago so she could go on vacation--the person did OK as far as caring for the pet,but they also went rifling thru her house and stole several items & cash she had hidden away ,that were not discovered missing right away...she couldn't prove anything, so the sitter got away with it..

One of my friends had someone come feed their dog while they were on vacation many years ago,and the dog ran outside before the person could close the door when they went in the house,and it ran into the street and got hit by a car,and it didn't survive..:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts