My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as much as I like my current Lawn Boy I want a mower I can mulch with or bag. most I really wanna spend is $400 because it just doesn't need to be used a lot. I work at the blue box and honestly don't think our Troy Bilts are bad but we don't have any in rwd and I sorta think fwd are useless. So I was looking at a dealer at Cub Cadets which seem to be built a little better than their red painted little brothers. I've heard that "real" Toro and Snappers are some of the best... I've looked at their websites but I can't tell which models would be their better ones and which ones would be dealer models. Whoever can chime in with some advice I'd appreciate it. Just keep in mind I dont want to spend more than $400 and I want RWD

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
So as much as I like my current Lawn Boy I want a mower I can mulch with or bag.

Ok, forgive me for asking, but why can't your lawn boy do both? They are one of the best mulching mowers that were on the market, and bagging is a couple minute switch-over to add the chute, hanger, and bag.

As for the question at hand, The toro pictured is decent... Hondas are also good, but "good quality" just barely starts at $400. On Toro's the one way I can tell a dealer model versus a box store model is the catcher bag. Dealer models have a BLACK bag, Box models, WHITE bag. As far as the true difference mechanically, No idea... I'd suspect better transmission and better engines.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, forgive me for asking, but why can't your lawn boy do both? They are one of the best mulching mowers that were on the market, and bagging is a couple minute switch-over to add the chute, hanger, and bag.

As for the question at hand, The toro pictured is decent... Hondas are also good, but "good quality" just barely starts at $400. On Toro's the one way I can tell a dealer model versus a box store model is the catcher bag. Dealer models have a BLACK bag, Box models, WHITE bag. As far as the true difference mechanically, No idea... I'd suspect better transmission and better engines.
Well perhaps it could I have nothing for it though. It's one I yanked out of my grandmas garage when I bought my house. Had nothing with it but the deck, 4 wheels, a motor and handle, lol. It's not a 2 stroke that everyone is in love with, it's a 4 stroke Tecumseh and I think I researched its manufacture date to somewhere in the late 1990's. Not really sure where to get parts for it if there are mulching kits available.

Going by your information - it appears all the Toro "Recylcer" models are white bagged and probably available at HD (some of which on HD's website I see some AWFUL reviews for which surprises me). It appears their dealer models would be the "Super Recycler" models. None of them really fall into my price range.

Can anyone give me some input on this mower - http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c.../self-propelled-lawn-mowers/sc-500-sc500-2013

Dealer tells me the drive system is serviceable, 3 year warranty is nice and the dealer is literally right down the street.

I'm also thinking about saying forget it and just buying this - but I'd have to buy it online and have MTD ship it since there are no dealers or retailers who sell this around me - http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/t...ion®-21-rear-wheel-self-propelled-mower-tb330

I've been selling the Troy's for 7 years and I don't see many problems with them, I think they're great mowers for their price point and seem to be pretty durable for what they are. Most of the returns I see on my Troy Bilts are "it wont start" which are almost always because a customer put bad gas in it... or they've NEVER changed the spark plug or oil or air filter because they thought they're maintenance free... :ROF

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
443 Posts
That Honda is probably the only mower in your price range I'd consider. Otherwise, I'd go used. Quality is hard to find in a new mower these days unless you're spending big.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't mean to paint a black picture but that Toro in the link won't last long. The transmissions are very cheap and use poor bearings and gears. I don't like Personal Pace but I'd suggest trying it before you buy. The Honda is the only mower under $500 I would recommend. It's not perfect but it's much better than Toro and the others. Cheap transmissions and thin decks are the usual problems.

I think most folks around here will suggest a used mower, especially if you want to keep the price down. The Toro's, Honda's, and John Deere's from 20 years ago are among the finest mowers ever made. You'd have to buy a $1000+ machine today to get something of equal quality. And I agree that your Lawn-Boy is already a good mower and you can set it up to mulch or bag.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mean to paint a black picture but that Toro in the link won't last long. The transmissions are very cheap and use poor bearings and gears. I don't like Personal Pace but I'd suggest trying it before you buy. The Honda is the only mower under $500 I would recommend. It's not perfect but it's much better than Toro and the others. Cheap transmissions and thin decks are the usual problems.

I think most folks around here will suggest a used mower, especially if you want to keep the price down. The Toro's, Honda's, and John Deere's from 20 years ago are among the finest mowers ever made. You'd have to buy a $1000+ machine today to get something of equal quality. And I agree that your Lawn-Boy is already a good mower and you can set it up to mulch or bag.
I did look online. The mulch kit will run me about $60 for the lawn boy. I don't know I'm undecided. I did get a call back from the Cub dealer where my friend bought his LTX1046KW a couple years ago and they'll have the SC500HW which I am interested in on Monday, so I may go look at it. http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...51_14101_1710151_33831_-1_33830_33831#reviews

I may just go with that but I'll have to see it first. I know what real true lasting quality costs, and I don't need to spend that much for trimming purposes when I have the X500 to handle 98% of the lawn cutting duties. My Lawn Boy currently sees about 15 minutes of work every other week. I have customers with Troy Bilts I sold them 5+ years ago still coming in every spring for new blades or spark plugs who say their mower is still serving them well, and I'm sure they don't take care of their stuff like I do, so I'm sure the Cub will serve me just fine if I go that route for $370. MTD may not make great riding mowers anymore but I still think their higher ended walk behinds are still pretty good. As good as a $700 Toro or $900 Honda? No... but if you maintain it they last. Heck I have a cheap $100 Craftsman trimmer that's almost 5 years old now and still runs like new... tell me 5 years ago had I asked and everyone here would have told me that would be a 1 season trimmer if I was lucky.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I did look online. The mulch kit will run me about $60 for the lawn boy. I don't know I'm undecided. I did get a call back from the Cub dealer where my friend bought his LTX1046KW a couple years ago and they'll have the SC500HW which I am interested in on Monday, so I may go look at it. http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...51_14101_1710151_33831_-1_33830_33831#reviews

I may just go with that but I'll have to see it first. I know what real true lasting quality costs, and I don't need to spend that much for trimming purposes when I have the X500 to handle 98% of the lawn cutting duties. My Lawn Boy currently sees about 15 minutes of work every other week. I have customers with Troy Bilts I sold them 5+ years ago still coming in every spring for new blades or spark plugs who say their mower is still serving them well, and I'm sure they don't take care of their stuff like I do, so I'm sure the Cub will serve me just fine if I go that route for $370. MTD may not make great riding mowers anymore but I still think their higher ended walk behinds are still pretty good. As good as a $700 Toro or $900 Honda? No... but if you maintain it they last. Heck I have a cheap $100 Craftsman trimmer that's almost 5 years old now and still runs like new... tell me 5 years ago had I asked and everyone here would have told me that would be a 1 season trimmer if I was lucky.
As for the "mulch kit" for your lawn boy, all you need is the mulch plate, it goes in place of the discharge plate, assuming that's all you have now, and they can be had for 10 bucks on ebay every day... The mulch "fan" that goes on the blade nut with the blade isn't a mandatory item, they will still mulch well if the fan is missing.

I agree with your end statement, it's NOT always the quality of the machine, but how it's cared for. There's guys out there that could trash a $1,400 commercial Toro or Exmark in a season if they abused the **** out of it, and there's guys that can run old craftsmans for 20+ years. Not knowing exactly how "hard" you are on things, most people are going to give advice erring on the side of caution and plead for you to buy quality. Granted, quality IS better, but for 15 minutes of use every other week? Yeah, don't go crazy!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I sell that awd husq along with a few other models. I haven't been impressed. I've returned about 4 husqvarnas this yr within 30 days of them being purchased for drive failures and another one a wheel fell off! The other ones that come back for other issues the wheels are so wobbly you'd think they're just a pass or two down your yard from falling off

·
Registered
261 Posts

That Cub pictured in the link is a very low quality box store model mower I have seen a few this spring that are less than a year old and already junk...they are all powered by a cheap honda clone engine, my local Toro dealer has the same mower in his showroom the only difference from the cub is that it is red and has the toro name on it. You can still get a briggs powered mower or some have started using kohler but stay away from the no-name honda clone.

Pictured below on the left is the exact same mower as the Cub you are looking at but it was sold under the Yardman name, every brand sells low end MTD built mowers. I took the cheap clone engine off the yardman and put on a briggs that needed a home so now it will last a while.

I consider the best rear drive mower for quality of cut, easy maintenance and reliability I would go with a used Snapper HiVac.

Attachments

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
Yea I sell that awd husq along with a few other models. I haven't been impressed. I've returned about 4 husqvarnas this yr within 30 days of them being purchased for drive failures and another one a wheel fell off! The other ones that come back for other issues the wheels are so wobbly you'd think they're just a pass or two down your yard from falling off
Interesting. I was just throwing it out there for consideration. I've never used one, but if it gives that much headache, then it's probably best to avoid it until the flaws have been remedied.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not surprised that AWD thing is a rolling repair bill. They seem to have enough trouble making one transmission work. But two...:swow:

You can probably get away with something cheaper if you're using it very little. I still suggest either the low-end Honda or your Lawn-Boy. Of course, proper maintenance will make any mower last longer. Still, some of these new mowers are so cheap that they quickly fail under normal use. It's not always safe to think that it will last if you use it lightly. An engineering professor of mine, of all people, bought a new Craftsman and the transmission failed on the first use! :swow:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
An engineering professor of mine, of all people, bought a new Craftsman and the transmission failed on the first use! :swow:
Well every manufacturer has a lemon off the line - in my 7 years selling what most here would call low end Troy Bilt walk behinds at the blue box I've seen 2 or 3 drive failures - but I also sell well over 300 troy bilt walk behinds every season - just my store alone, not counting what the neighboring stores sell. Really a pretty low failure rate for low end box store mowers.

I went ahead and ordered the mulch plug on eBay for my LawnBoy. I am going to see what I think before jumping and spending $370 I don't necessarily need to spend.

I really do like the lawnboy lol, and I never really did want to get rid of it. There's 2 things I'm not liking about it - the clutch will not always disengage so when I release the self propel lever and try to pull the mower backwards the rear wheels lock up. It may not be the 2 cycle everyone loves but I still like it for how lightweight and easy it is to use.

I really wish I could just get the thing completely restored to look like new, lol. Maybe I should ship it to Rick's Restorations in Vegas lol!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Usually when the rear wheels won't release and go backwards it is due to the drive cable being adjusted too tightly. What model lawn boy do you have?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Also, the wheel clutches may be acting up. Sometimes dirt works in there and the ratchets get stuck.

I think you're making a good decision sticking with the LB. Even if it doesn't work out you now have the mulch plug so the mower would be easier to sell.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I can't find any bagger parts or anything for it online... or really any parts at all anywhere. Seems as though a lot of parts have been discontinued, especially for the engine, for obvious reasons there being Tecumseh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts