My Tractor Forum banner

Good practices for gutters/drainage

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bontai Joe 
#1 ·
Hey guys, My house doesn't have any gutters on it, and I get water in the basement seeping thru the concrete block any time we get more than a light rain. It's not terrible, but it get about a 6foot round puddle on the floor every time it rains. I think gutters will help, but I was wondering if it would be better to run the gutter into Perforated PVC in crushed rock beds under the back lawn so it travels away from the house. I guess the only concern I have about this is will it cause my back lawn to be a swamp when it really rains out?

What have you all done for gutters and drainage? Pics are more than welcome, they are indispensible!

I wouldn't mind ripping up my back lawn with my potatoe plow to get this done :)

#2 ·
Are you thinking of one of those PVC catch basins buried in the lawn on top of and surrounded by stone? I would only use an in ground drain system if there was ABSOLUTELY no other way to get the water off the property, or at least permanently away from the house. I try to get the earth around the house itself to slope away for drainage. I have no gutters on my house and because of the massive amounts of ice damage I have seen done to other homes in the area, I won't put gutters up, but maybe this isn't a problem in your area.

#3 ·
well the little short piece of gutter I had last year fell off because of the ice dams I had last year- It's a catch 22- Ice in winter, wet basement rest of the year.... I really hope we don't get as much snow as last year, but I will be more diligent about keeping my roof raked this year

My yard right near my foundation is very flat, so I wanted to get the water away from the house. I was thinking more along the lines of 6" PVC pipe, like 6 feet with no holes, the 6 feet with holes in it like sewer pipe dug about 12" down in a bed of crushed rock (like a french drain) but have two of them- one off one corner of the house heading out into the back yard and one off the other back corner of the house, heading down and incline towards the road.

#4 ·
..........I was thinking more along the lines of 6" PVC pipe, like 6 feet with no holes, the 6 feet with holes in it like sewer pipe dug about 12" down in a bed of crushed rock (like a french drain) but have two of them- one off one corner of the house heading out into the back yard and one off the other back corner of the house, heading down and incline towards the road.
Sounds good to me. The best thing to do is direct the water away with no stops enroute. An incline down towards and joining with other drainage is always a good way to go. Just be mindful that any serious excavation might require permits, inspections, etc. And the new appearance of water arriving on a neighbor's property isn't a good idea either. Also if large amount of water are directed to the road and it freezes causing a safety hazard, then you may have bigger problems, so it's a balancing act, do what you need to to get drainage without causing yourself more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.