My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2007-08? Cub 6284 with 60" deck for my Dad.The tractor looks flawless and has around 215 total hours. The previous owner used it exclusively for mowing and snow removal (back blade on the 3pt). The unit is very clean and was obviously garage kept. No rust, no leaks, starts easy and the deck is really quiet. The dealer is asking $6999.00. Is this a good deal, bad deal?

Dad will use this 99% of the time for mowing (we've been watching for used 1782 SGT's, but some of them go well above 4000.00 dollars) I am familiar with the Garden tractors (I've owned an 1811, and 2072 SGT) Dad own's a 1641 and we jointly own a Cub 154 loboy. All of these have been great units.. and he would like to stay with Cub, but isn't ready to shell out the money on a Yanmar Cub. The sc2400 looks light weight compared to the 6284... yet the 6284 doesn't look as big as the sc2900. I guess the previous owner of this 6284 (dealer claims the guy keeps his stuff immaculant trades his units in every 3 years) traded it in on a cub yanmar 3100.

The dealer mentioned that the spindles on the deck need greased more frequently than a normal deck due to the 2000 rpm speed they run, other than that he claims this was the best cutting cub ever made? He also told me that this tractor with deck was around 16000 new 3 years ago? I just want as much feedback as possible so that I don't direct my dad in a wrong direction. He would also like a FEL, can a FEL be purchased for this unit? It has a valve installed.. but the dealer says they don't have access to a loader for this model anymore.

Again, I appreciate all the help. I know Dad would like to stay in this price range.. and it's hard to find a like new unit with low hours.. regardless of make/model at this price point ( I think the dealer will budge on price some, or possibly throw in one of their lightly used back blades or box blade). I have a lead on a Cub Cadet 1782 SGT.. which isn't like comparing apples to apples, but the dealer is asking 4000 for it.. and it only has a blade and deck and needs work (motor is being rebuilt). The 6284 seems like a good deal compared to it.

Thanks again,
Nicholas

·
Registered
37 Posts
Avoid like the plague!!!!!!

I looked at one several years ago before purchasing a JD 2305. Lots of problems, all of which can be found by doing a search on the web. An initial low purchase price can turn into a nightmare once you start having problems with the unit. A Cub Cadet dealer even told me that it was a lemon. Having owned IH Cub Cadets for years, I finally moved over to JD. When MTD took over Cub Cadet, the quality went downhill.

Good luck

Steve

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
5 & 6000 series Cubs are very troublesome and not cheap to fix. slkpk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will let Dad know, it's ashame since it's a great looking unit with low hours. I wonder if the PO was counting the days till time to trade this in? or what the real story is? Thanks again for your help.

Nick

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have been very pleased with the performance and reliability of my 6284. It was a tremendous value (tractor per dollar) vs green or orange tractors and does everything for me that those others would. I have encountered a couple of issues such as needing to modify the starter circuit (documented elsewhere in this forum), but that same problem exists in all of the brands - I've seen it discussed on their forums also.

Unless you are independently wealthy, I think one of the most important factors in CUT ownership is the ability (and discipline) to perform your own maintenance and minor repairs. These are serious machines and require more attention than your average lawn tractor. If you have to rely on a dealer for routine maintenance it will be very expensive regardless of brand. If you forgo regular maintenance you will pay for it eventually.

Like any tractor there are a few specific things to watch out for. Be sure that the filters are the updated design on the hydro. Use the correct fluid in your hydro. Check for loose fasteners often (especially the bolts mounting the loader to the frame), etc.

It should be pointed out that I use my tractor on my 40 acre hobby farm and that I do not consider my application as demanding as a commercial use. I do not consider the 6284 a commercial grade tractor - but then again I would say the same of most any other brand tractor in it's class.

I got my tractor with 12 hours on it for less than half what I would have paid for another brand used with 700 or 800 hours on it. I would agree that the Cub CUT is not as common as the other brands and parts are more of a challenge to obtain. Still I have located several very helpful Cub dealers and have not encountered any problems getting parts I have needed.

Part of the bad reputation was earned by the 5000 series which had some basic design flaws - mostly related to the hydro. The 6000 inherited a lot of unearned criticism from the 5000. I also think that the Cub CUT tractors suffered from the fact that many of them were distributed and supported by dealers that were primarily lawn tractor dealers. The percentage of Cub dealers that are really familiar with CUT's is low, but they are out there.

I did a lot of studying before I purchased my 6284 and was aware of all the advice to avoid it. Close examination of factual information gave me confidence in my decision and I have not regretted my purchase for one second.

JN

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
If you want to know my opinion of the 6000 series from Cub, just look back through my posts, go back to 2006 when I paid $29,000.00 for a BRAND NEW 6284 with a Backhoe, FEL and 3 Point Finish Mower. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Brett,

I figured you would weigh in here and I feel that you are particularly qualified to speak out on this subject. I can fully understand your position regarding the 6000 series Cub and I dare say I would not be as polite as you are had the same happened to me.

Like you my post is based on personal experience. Fortunately mine has been far better than yours. While you were cursed with some annoying issues such as burst hoses I think the fatal flaw on your machine was the failure of the frame at the point where bolts came loose. I have you to thank for making me aware of that problem since I did inspect my tractor and found them working loose also. I tightened them and now know to keep a close eye on them - something easy enough to do if one knows to do it. This is a routine that I have expanded to all major fasteners on the tractor and I now believe it is a good idea on any tractor.

You had a back hoe on your machine which I do not have on mine. Based on your experience and my own conclusions in general I would not recommend this model tractor for back hoe service, but then I would say that about that class of tractor in general. Still, the factory sold the back hoe as a factory option so I would have to agree that was a total failure on their part to suggest that equipment and the use it implies for that model.

You paid a very high price for your machine. Perhaps it was a competitive retail price, but I got my tractor for a fraction of what you paid in large part due to the damaged reputation of the Cubs (not the Chicago Cubs, though their reputation isn't too hot either). I could never have justified paying what you did for your tractor though that is in a big way governed by your need. In my case my need and budget was stretched to the limit looking for a well worn used CUT when I came upon the opportunity to purchase my 6284 with 12 hours on it. Though it came with no warranty I dare say I have had far fewer problems and issues with it then I would have had with any brand of tractor with 800+ hours on it.

Again, I have been completely satisfied with my 6284. Of course that could all change and I could be crying in my beer one of these days if it takes a giant dump, but that could be said of any tractor. I'm not gloating here. I do think of you often and the bad experience you had - no pity, but I often think how you certainly didn't deserve what you went through with your Cub. In a weird way it almost makes me feel guilty about how well everything has been with mine (is that screwed up or what?). On the plus side I guess things could not possibly ever be worse than what you have already been through.

JN

·
6,553 Posts
JN,

You hit on all my reasons that I was so furious. Yes it was expensive (any new machine is) and if they did not have a massive recall on these machines and a stop of production, they would have held their value better, which means you may not have been able to pick one up at such a great price.

The machine should have never been spec'd for a backhoe, certainly not my issue, but it sure did cause issues. I honestly think the thing that did more damage than the backhoe was the 60" 3 Point mower (easily 600lbs) it also was a Cub Cadet mower. And I don't think the 3PH could handle the strain.. Even though Cub spec'd all this stuff out.

I honestly think you learned from my experience with the critical fasteners and I think because of that, you will have many years of fine service out of the machine. But if a new buyer has any plans on adding a back hoe or a heavy rear implement, I'd pass on the machine.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I honestly think the thing that did more damage than the backhoe was the 60" 3 Point mower
Hmmmm......

I do a lot of mowing with my 3 pt 6o" finish mower and a 48" bush hog so I will have to watch things closely. I run several hundred pounds of suitcase weights on the front to counter balance the mower, so yes there is a lot of weight supported by the chassis. Further, the rear mounted decks are hung out far enough that the shock associated with running over rough ground is amplified and transmitted to the tractor.

I'm sure (based on your experience) that you can appreciate the fact that I watch everything carefully - especially the major fasteners. You have to wonder why there is no mechanical locking fastener used at these points such as the lock tabs that bend over the bolt heads. I have read that some other brands paint a white stripe across the bolt heads to make it easy to visually inspect them - a good idea. Some of the maintenance and inspection habits I have learned would be a good idea for any brand or model of tractor when you think about it.

One of my biggest scares with my 6284 was shortly after I purchased it and I was running the bush hog. At the end of my orchard it was necessary to make a sharp U-turn to return and run down the next row. The turn was made in a path that had deep ruts in it. Several times when turning the tractor would suddenly start to free wheel as if the hydro was slipping. If I reversed the tractor would move and then going forward would run fine again. After reading others discuss hydro problems (both with 6284's and other makes and models) I started sweating. Later I discovered that with the on demand four wheel drive if you unload a front tire it will cause free wheeling. Turning sharp over the ruts unloaded a front tire and created the problem. Adding front weight solved it.

Have a great holiday! Looks like we should be getting some nice weather this weekend here in the midwest. Yeah!

JN

·
6,553 Posts
Deere (or Yanmar) mark across the bolt head and surrounding metal with a white paint stripe to verify if the bolt has moved at all. I really like this idea. I don't know that lock washers would work in the loads that the fasteners are subjected to that attach the C channel frame to the Hydrostat. I think if anything, something like Safety Wire or may Stage-8 bolts might be a good idea.

You could easily order Stage-8 bolts of the appropriate size, and then just put a small blob of weld on the frame near each bolt so the Stage-8 lock would not be able to rotate past it.

You have a great weekend also!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dad was wanting something with a loader.. we went and he test drove the 6284, then the dealer made him an excellent deal on a new cub yanmar EX3200. I wish he would have taken the dealer up on the deal... but he passed because he felt that tractor would be to big to get around the trees on part of the property, and with an 8.2ft turning diameter it wasn't going to be sharp enough. All power equipment in Athens Ohio offered him the EX3200, with 60" mower, brush guard, turf tires, and loader for 14,500 out the door ! I thought this was an amazing price for a 32hp tractor. It's a really smooth running tractor.. but again.. to big for his needs. I think he's hoping to find a yanmar sx3100 with similar options for roughly that amount. Although, Dad really did love the lay out of the 6284. I have to say that the ergonomic's on it seem great, but the dealer told us that all the "problems" were with the 7000 and 5000 series.. and that this was a later model 6000 and had no problems during it's life. The tractor has a little over 200 hours on it.. and ran great. He did tell us that the spindles on the mower deck have worn out (the one in the center) 3 times.. but said it was because the PO could not access the center pulley to grease it?

Would you suggest this for mowing and maybe using a back blade? Does 6800 sound to high for this unit? it looks like brand new? and is really really clean.

I only found a few flaws.....

the light bulb housing on the left side is cracked where the bulb twists in. The piece is there and could be glued

The hood has a worn mark on the underside where the air filter and hood rub each other? The motor is really shakey at low throttle.. but I noticed that the directions on the hump suggest starting and stopping it at 1/2 throttle.. which the tractor seems to smooth out very nicely at this rpm.

When the deck is raised.. one of the pins hit the brake line/rod for the foot pedal.

Other than that the tractor looks great. I'm just wondering if he buys this, if the dealer will work with him when he goes to upgrade 3-4 years down the road?

Thanks again for all the feedback. I have read every thread each of you have posted. I really couldn't find much other information out there beyond the two of you. I think the 5000 series.. and the early 7000's really killed these units. I also think Cub threw in the towel once they started discussions with Yanmar (who makes a wonderful tractor). Actually.. to my understanding the Cub SX3100 is the exact same tractor as the JD 2720... but cost much less. They have the same dash, rear fenders, and I believe the motor and transmission are the exact same? go figure. The auto industry gets nailed for platform prostitution all the time... yet it looks like 90% of the tractor market is shared by each other? Kioti makes the Bobcat CUTS... Mitsubishi makes Mahindra's.. and so on and so on. It's sad.. but I think the 6284 was about as american as they came, to bad it didn't shine as an american product.

I will give dad a ring in the morning incase he wants to reconsider the cub...

Thanks again,
Nick
Nick

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, any thoughts on price for this unit? It really is mint looking.. assuming it doens't have any demons hiding below the surface..

Dealer won't negotiate below 6800.00, because thats what they have in it from the trade. The PO bought a cub SGT back in the mid 90's.. then traded it on a 7000 and had problems with the transmission, he traded it in on the 6000, then traded it on the sx3100. The dealer said he trades once every 3 years, and would supply us with all the service records along with the PO contact information to ask questiosn about the 6284.

They were asking 6999.00.. is 6800 to much? he showed us the paperwork to prove that's what they actually gave the PO.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
5,480 Posts
I would have to say that I would probably walk from this deal as the history of these tractors has not been very good. The newer Yanmars-Cub's seem to be bullet proof and since that is the case I would go newer. I have the fear that knowing the known problems with the frame that they are not the tractor you dad would want. I want to be able to use a tractor for what is designed to do and that is hard grunt work when needed and not having to worry that I might break the frame. Mowing is light use for the most part and to have as the dealer mentioned that it had 3 spindles replaced already sounds that there is a issue there. The issues in my eyes make this a tractor is not the deal for you or your dad..

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I would have to say that I would probably walk from this deal as the history of these tractors has not been very good. The newer Yanmars-Cub's seem to be bullet proof and since that is the case I would go newer. I have the fear that knowing the known problems with the frame that they are not the tractor you dad would want. I want to be able to use a tractor for what is designed to do and that is hard grunt work when needed and not having to worry that I might break the frame. Mowing is light use for the most part and to have as the dealer mentioned that it had 3 spindles replaced already sounds that there is a issue there. The issues in my eyes make this a tractor is not the deal for you or your dad..
:ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
790 Posts
This could be debated forever. There's a lot of advise here from experts that have never owned or even known anyone that has owned a 6284 and all their knowledge comes from what they have read online (a good source of information but also a great source of rumors and whining). I own a 6284 and could not be more happy with the service and value that it has provided me. I went into my purchase with my eyes open after having read other threads about the tractor and I could not have come close to buying as much tractor for my money anywhere else. I have had a few issues with my tractor that I have discussed in this and other threads but nothing I couldn't remedy myself. The money I saved let me buy a host of implements that I use all the time with the tractor and I am much happier than if I had spent all of the extra money on a new machine.

Now, for the other side of the story I strongly recommend that you carefully consider the experiences of Brett. I think that he has done a good and fair job of reporting his experience and it couldn't be any more different than mine. Brett really took a beating on his 6284 and I can't imagine having to go through what he did. Obviously some of his bad experiences were specific Cub issues, though I am sure that there are similar things that happen to other brands as well. In fact I think that the problems that Brett encountered were probably amplified by the way the factory / dealer network dealt with them.

In any case Brett speaks from direct experience - not hearsay. That's far better information than you will get from the many pilers on.

One very important issue that has not been discussed here is how willing and able are you and your dad at performing usual maintenance and occasional repairs? The more able you are to do these things the less important a lack of warranty and dealer support become. Regardless of make and model CUT's are equipment that requires routine maintenance. My brother owns a JD and he doesn't know one end of a wrench from another. He relies on the dealer for everything and boy does he pay for it! He doesn't use his Deere anywhere near as much or as hard as I do my Cub but I choke every time he tells me what the JD dealer charges to pick up and service his tractor. The JD dealer could teach Mercedes Benz dealers a few things!

I'm not qualified to guide you on the value of the unit you have been looking at. I'm sure it would help your decision if the dealer were willing to stand behind it with some type of warranty but I don't think you'll find many used tractor warranties out there anywhere. If you do tender an offer on it only offer what you know you will feel good about. Even if it seems like a great deal it is not the last tractor in the world. Still, it just may be an opportunity to purchase a lot of tractor for the money. If you do buy it take care of it and Keep us informed on how it works out. I will be happy to share my experience (factual) with you any time and others will too. Good luck to you and your father and send pictures of whatever you bring home.

JN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts