My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
JD318
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Home Depot today & noticed a nearly full case of Gen II LB oil in a can. Price--$2.74...had to buy one before I never see them again. Maybe because they're about a mile away from Toro/LB headquarters here in Bloomington MN.

Attachments

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,136 Posts
Ah you lucky dog, I am down to 8 cans left. Looks like I will be doing the switch to Valvoline. Right now I am taking deep breaths and savoring as much of this old lawnboy exhaust as I can. I have no idea what this Valvoline is going to smell like, but I can't see anything smelling as good as the old lawnboy oil. LOL

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Ah you lucky dog, I am down to 8 cans left. Looks like I will be doing the switch to Valvoline. Right now I am taking deep breaths and savoring as much of this old lawnboy exhaust as I can. I have no idea what this Valvoline is going to smell like, but I can't see anything smelling as good as the old lawnboy oil. LOL
If you absolutely can't find it locally watch eBay. Of course watch the PRICES, some people are nutso and think it's gold, but some DO have it listed for reasonable prices.

I can buy it here. Our home cheapo has a good case and a quarter on the shelf, and unless I buy it all and start selling it myself on here/eBay I doubt it's going to leave the shelf there very fast.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Our local True Value hardware store always has it, in both cans and bottles. Of course, I've switched to Amsoil, so I guess I don't care that much.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I can still get it for $1.79 for you LB oil'in junkies, so if you wanna pay the shipping, I'll hook you up with it. Jus let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A local car parts store has it in cans. Ace Hardware has it in both cans and bottles and right now the can is on sale 20 cents cheaper than the bottle, can $3.29, bottle $3.49, very expensive. As with all lubrication I usually use the cheapest I can find and lately that's been B&S 2-cycle ashless with stabilizer for $1.27 (8 oz bottle). I've seen several brands of 2-cycle oil for less than a dollar but the labels said nothing about a stabilizer.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
guys- need i remind you that the lawnboy oil isnt gone-they only switched to the plastic bottles.if i wanted to i can go and get about 20 bottles of lawnboy oil.they still make the 4 oz and they just came out with the 8 oz bottle.lawnboy oil is still in production...

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,136 Posts
guys- need i remind you that the lawnboy oil isnt gone-they only switched to the plastic bottles.if i wanted to i can go and get about 20 bottles of lawnboy oil.they still make the 4 oz and they just came out with the 8 oz bottle.lawnboy oil is still in production...
Yeah I know that, but it is not being sold anywhere near where I live. I would almost be williing to bet that the Texans living near or in the big cities like Dallas/Ft. Worth or Houston can't get it either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Still available around here. Bought two cans last weekend. They had two cases on the shelf. Also had the plastics bottles for one gallon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would almost be williing to bet that the Texans living near or in the big cities like Dallas/Ft. Worth or Houston can't get it either.
Odd since it's manufactured in Houston. Dozens of stores in Texas claim to have it on the shelf or will order it from their distributor with no shipping charge. However they just say Lawnboy oil so it might be in bottles, not cans. No more is being produced in cans. More expensive to make and more expensive to ship. Auto parts and hardware stores are better bets than big box stores.

McRae's, 1232 South Hampton Road, Dallas
Kaufman Hardware, 1200 South Washington Street, Kaufman
Midtown Hardware, 1502 Durham Drive, Houston
Beebe Lumber, 2411 W 6th Avenue, Amarillo
Hallaway, 2361 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio
McCoy's, 8212 S Presa Street, San Antonio

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,788 Posts
:lalala::Stop:It tastes better out of the can dangit, dont try an change our minds!

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,136 Posts
Odd since it's manufactured in Houston. Dozens of stores in Texas claim to have it on the shelf or will order it from their distributor with no shipping charge. However they just say Lawnboy oil so it might be in bottles, not cans. No more is being produced in cans. More expensive to make and more expensive to ship. Auto parts and hardware stores are better bets than big box stores.

McRae's, 1232 South Hampton Road, Dallas
Kaufman Hardware, 1200 South Washington Street, Kaufman
Midtown Hardware, 1502 Durham Drive, Houston
Beebe Lumber, 2411 W 6th Avenue, Amarillo
Hallaway, 2361 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio
McCoy's, 8212 S Presa Street, San Antonio
I'll check with a couple of MTF folks in Ft. Worth to see if it is available there if so that would work for me. I would not have to make a special trip since the wife and I make the trip a couple of times a year anyway. I live in Abilene and I am 3 hours from any decently populated town and Tractor Supply was the last place around here to carry it. Thanks Guys

McRae's in Dallas would work also, Thanks again

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I guess I was just under the impression that the "new" oil in the bottles was different. If it's not, then I don't understand all the fuss either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I guess I was just under the impression that the "new" oil in the bottles was different. If it's not, then I don't understand all the fuss either.
It's the exact same oil and it's got the exact same part number.

It does taste different in the can though. :)

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,136 Posts
Yeah its the same oil and it doesn't really matter to me whether I get it a plastic bottle or can, I'll be using it, but some other folks are collectors of the old cans. I just wanted to find a good source for the oil, so that I didn't have to pay the ebay prices.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What's wrong with buying it from a reputable online store? Cheaper than eBay and shipping's not bad if you buy a decent amount. Some places are even cheaper than this.

24 - 8 oz bottles $46.50 plus $8.53 shipping = $55.03 = $2.29 each
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=7006646

24 - 4 oz cans $42.96 plus $7.79 shipping = $50.75 = $2.11 each
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=7011943

Those cans are expensive! You get almost twice as much oil buying it in bottles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a sentimental fool about many things, but I'm thinking back to the days when regular 4 stroke oil came in cans. The plastic bottle was a big improvement.......

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I'd imigine the bottles are less of a mess. I just remembered, the other day, my first can of LB oil I've cracked open in years, it was about 100 degrees out, the cans were in a bag in the bed of the truck, and the thing sprayed out like a shaken beer! My hand, the garage floor... Didn't loose much, but had to do some clean-up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts