My Tractor Forum banner

Good mower choice for a YM2000D?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cbr_fx4 
#1 ·
I've got a 6' Caroni pasture flail behind my Ford 4600 and a DR 8hp string mower. Now I need something to fill the huge gap between the two. Mostly for pasture land that's pretty rolling, just want to keep it down for fire danger and to keep fresh growth on for the sheep.

Whatcha' think?

#3 ·
Budget? We don't got no stinkin' budget! :drunkie:

Seriously Mark, we're a small family farm, we watch every penny going out.

Anyway yes the mower we're looking for would be to use with the YM2000D, got a lot of areas where trying to move the Ford around is counterproductive but trying to mow down a 1/4 to 1/2 acre with the string mower is just too time consuming and not very fuel efficient. Getting a good match for the Little Green Giant would be useful.

Got anything in mind?

#4 ·
Well,

I'm thinking of how to match your 6' Caroni Flail mower with something adequate enough HP wise. I'd be guessing about how much power you'd need to use the Flail mower and it seems that's the maximum for the 20 PTO HP YM2000D...maybe even slightly too much.

I'd be considering a 5' rotary cutter (OK, Brush Hog) or a 6' finish mower as the perfect match up with a YM2000. Finish mowers work excellent, maintain acres very well and keep the property looking well manicured, but they do not work well for knocking down anything like 1 1/2" to 2" saplings or heavy growth. If your property doesn't need brush hogging, then the 5' or 6' finish mower is the way to go IMO....but, they are pricey :( if you go with brand new.

#5 ·
Yah, the Caroni does well behind the Ford but that machine has more than double the hp of the YM.

I think I may go for a the rotary cutter for the very reason I avoided them in the past. Before we got into the sheep I wanted to chew up the foliage so it would go back into the soil. Now that we've got the sheep I'm looking for feed and bedding. With the rotary I'll get a bit of a rakeable windrow that I can collect and then use for feed or as straw for the shed. So I'll start keeping my eye open for a medium duty 5' rotary.

Thanks Mark :trink40:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.