My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Just get a can of JD yellow and use a cardboard shield and spray it. It will be scratched in a few uses anyway. On the top, I would make them give me a new one but not on the trim edge. If you touch any concrete or steel post you will scratch that area. Beautiful tractor!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
While I don't think I would do that (ceramic coating) I found it interesting to read/see. Thanks for sharing.

That sucks on the design/construction of the shed. I made my "ramp" out of 2" rock left over from another project. I still have a gap of a couple of inches. Both my X300 and my X534 can navigate that without issue (as long as the deck is all the way up). They are tractors after all and capable of going across a less than perfectly smooth surface.
I do need to see if I might build a long ramp if maybe the tractor can go over the bump without additional ramps. The gap is a little more than 3in though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So I think I finally figured out the headlights. I wish they didn't have this cheaply made way to put the connector on the bulb so hopefully, that part holds up. Otherwise, the light output is much better than the first set and they are bright than the rear lights finally.

Some amazingly generic Chinese packaging.

These bulbs have 3 sides which with the way the plastic housings are made I think is one of the reasons they have more even output than the last set. They are also rated at almost twice the lumens as the last set. Although, who knows how true those numbers actually are.

Not so amazing cheap attempt at a connector. There is another company that makes a bulb that looks identical but it is an H11 instead of an 881 but the connector is part of the light heatsink. Still need to dig up an old set of H11 bulbs I have somewhere but I am pretty sure they use the same connector to the housing of the light and the H11 are just higher wattage. I don't think that matters at this point since running LED so I could probably even go with some of the 9000 lumen H11 LED bulbs if I wanted.

With the extra wire, something had to be done so that it didn't lay on the muffler heat shield

A few zip ties fixed that

Taillights - With the design of the rear housing these have a better dispersed light output vertically.

Headlights - Much brighter now with better throw. I am not sure if it is the front guard or just the design of the housing causing the cutoff.

In case anyone is interested here are the two bulbs I am using.

Headlight - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQGKCM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Taillight & Running Lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749G3M4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Itching to actually finally use this thing now if it would only stop raining I could actually get out and do that. My weight bracket should finally be here today but still waiting on the grapple to ship so I can get this thing out on the woods too. Hopefully, it gets shipped out before the end of the week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I was finally able to get the tractor dirty late last week and get some work done. Got to mow the lawn and the mulch kit is fantastic. I had no clippings left behind really and that was with some spots I was cutting 2-3in off. Also crazy that with a bigger engine plus an additional mower blade that the tractor seems quieter when running than my 185. I do need to find a solution to the rattle of the fulltime mulch kit though. It is a bit annoying.

I have to say being able to remove the deck quickly makes life so much easier. Pulling the spreader and not worrying about the deck bottoming out in the drainage ditch was really nice. One thing I noticed is the metal hookup on the metal plate of the tractor is rubbing the paint off so going to try and find a large nylon wash to use with it. I put down 400lbs of Milorganite over 22k sqft super fast. I used to hate using the pull behind spreader on the 185 with the hand control vs the foot pedals now. I know that is more than what it calls for but have seen good reviews of putting slightly more than called for down and I have seen good results doing it personally.

My Heavy Hitch weight bracket showed up finally. I had to do a small amount of work to get it to fit. Will have to touch it up with some enamel paint now that it fits. Overall though really happy with the piece. Seems really good quality and the design sits up higher than the JD weight bracket. Added bonus of the trailer hitch adapter so I can attach a carried to the back. Comparing between a regular aluminum rear hitch carrier for a car and the Big Tool Rack Yard rack with the addon chainsaw/tool carrier bracket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
😂 I do wish I had more grass to mow. I have already considered clearing some more of my trees on the sides of the front of my property so I can plant more grass. Although, I bought the property because of all the wooden land and separation it gets you from your neighbors on the sides. Already looking for more things I can use it for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Definitely, plan to offer to mow a couple neighbors lawns when the travel that do their owns but right now now one is traveling. That is awesome of you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My grapple also showed up last week. Super impressed by the design and engineering of this thing. Unfortunately, no close up pictures of it right now. Mark has asked not to have close up pictures posted as he is still waiting on his patents to be finalized on the changes. So these pictures really don't give up anymore information than the previous design.

I was able to drag this tree trunk section out the woods from a tree I took down a few years ago and didn't fully cut up at the time.

Then used it to transport a large amount of kindling across the property. Probably about 2-3 times what I would have been abler to carry myself. Made 3 trips like this to my dump pile next to my firepit.

Thankfully I can fit the mower deck in front of the tractor and get everything in the shed together with the grapple on the front. It is tight but at least I don't have to remove the grapple every day front doing work in the woods.

I had been using a moving blanket to remove the mower deck in my shed but it wasn't keeping it from sliding very well. I also didn't want to use it long term as I use it for a lot of other stuff. Ordered some foam pads that interlock to leave in the shed full time.
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
My grapple also showed up last week. Super impressed by the design and engineering of this thing. Unfortunately, no close up pictures of it right now. Mark has asked not to have close up pictures posted as he is still waiting on his patents to be finalized on the changes. So these pictures really don't give up anymore information than the previous design.

I was able to drag this tree trunk section out the woods from a tree I took down a few years ago and didn't fully cut up at the time.

Then used it to transport a large amount of kindling across the property. Probably about 2-3 times what I would have been abler to carry myself. Made 3 trips like this to my dump pile next to my firepit.

Thankfully I can fit the mower deck in front of the tractor and get everything in the shed together with the grapple on the front. It is tight but at least I don't have to remove the grapple every day front doing work in the woods.

I had been using a moving blanket to remove the mower deck in my shed but it wasn't keeping it from sliding very well. I also didn't want to use it long term as I use it for a lot of other stuff. Ordered some foam pads that interlock to leave in the shed full time.
[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you must have a driveover deck? I'd have no room to drag the deck out the side. That's why I have to remove my deck in the driveway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I'm guessing you must have a driveover deck? I'd have no room to drag the deck out the side. That's why I have to remove my deck in the driveway.
Yes I have the drive over deck. I drop the deck on the mat, back over it, then I lift the deck up to the first wheel lock position so I can roll it all the way forward in the shed. It isn't a perfect setup though cause I have to get the tractor out of the shed before I do all of this so I can carry the grapple and quick hitch out of the shed to mount after removing the deck. Working on trying to figure out some ways to clear up some more space in the shed to maybe make it an easier process. A lean-to expansion on the side of the shed might be in my future to store the extra patio chairs and a few other things.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
cccoltsicehockey .... If you have already raised the deck and locked the wheels, you can lift the front and stand the deck up, roll it toward the racks and strap it so it doesn’t accidentally fall. That will give you significantly more room in front of the tractor. It might be better if you backed in to put the deck front toward the doors, then drive forward off of deck after disconnecting and raising the lift arms. Then the deck can be rolled almost tight to the front racks before standing it up. The bottom of the deck also makes it easy to hook a strap to secure it. You may even find you can put the quick hitch and grapple on before driving out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
@RT3360 that is a good idea never thought about that. I had even done that when I coated the deck in the garage but for some reason never considered it in this instance. Will definitely save a few feet that way.

I will have to give driving over the deck and backing on a try. So far I have only done it the reverse so far.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
@RT3360 that is a good idea never thought about that. I had even done that when I coated the deck in the garage but for some reason never considered it in this instance. Will definitely save a few feet that way.

I will have to give driving over the deck and backing on a try. So far I have only done it the reverse so far.
X730’s tell you to back over the deck to put it on and back just enough to disconnect, then drive forward to get off the deck. It’s because the rear wheel diameter makes them go over the deck easier than the smaller non-driven front wheels. All wheel drive works both ways. FYI - Make sure you lock the lift arms up or you will find the auto-connect hitting things and make sure you pin the lock open when you lift or you will bend the latch and they are expensive to replace. Don’t ask how I know. It was that way when I bought it, but I found out why when I did it. It’s not a perfect design, but it does work. I posted about it a while back on MTF.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey
61 - 77 of 77 Posts