My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow tractor owners :)

My name is Djurre and i am from The Netherlands.
I own a house with about 5000 square meters of garden, mostly grass.
For Dutch principles this is a very big garden, because an average garden is about 100 square meters in my country.
Anyway, i like to buy an old mini tractor to pull my trailer to dump old leaves and stuff from my garden.
I found two tractors that i like allot.

The Jacobsen Super Chief Hydro 1450 and the Wheel Horse 800 3 speed manual.
At the end i bought the Wheel Horse because i like the manual grear and because of the condition it is in (loads of things replaced, new paint, stickers, double wheel etc)
The wheel Horse was slightly cheaper than the Super Chief.

I actually love both tranctors very much.
Maybe i like the Super Chief even a bit more because of its industrial looks :)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

One thing about the owner of the Super Chief has me wondered.
He said the Super Chief Hydro 1450 weighs 450 kg, or 992 lbs... is this true??

·
5,852 Posts
Nice tractors both of them...that is a hard choice...I think the Jacobsen might weigh about 485 pounds...the Wheel Horse without the extra tires I think is a little more, but they both look like they were well taken care of...the WH had 2 different engine configurations during its production, which do you have?....welcome and hope you find any information you need to keep it so nice looking

·
Super Moderator
16,284 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :)
1.2 acres is a Good size Yard for the Netherlands so I take it your On the Outskirts of a Town

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,601 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Congrats on your new WH, it's a beauty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is correct!

I am living in Friesland, a province in the Netherlands where we have enough living space left LOL.
Two years ago we bought our house there after living whole my life in towns and cities.
I never regret the move to the country, i love nature and the lack of too many people :)
I made a extension to the garage so i could put my other hobbies: old Jaguars/Daimlers and our old camper inside along with the Wheelhorse.

I made some LED lighting on the bumper from the Wheelhorse so that i have loads of light when doing gardening on the evening.

Anyway i'll hope you guys like the photo's i shared.

I'll hope to see nice lawn tractor photo's of other owners on this forum.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,601 Posts
Whew, serious man cave right there. I like your style. Your place is nothing short of beautiful, my compliments. My wife's family is from Holland. We plan on visiting in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
31,028 Posts
Djurre, welcome to MTF! That is a very nice piece of property and fantastic collection of cars and equipment. Got to visit Holland in 1986 for a week with some of our German friends it is a very beautiful country with a lot of history.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,053 Posts
Welcome to MTF from Michigan, the helping hand state. You have a nice country estate and a nice collection of vehicles and tractors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey guys, how are you?
I am going to use my Wheel Horse 800 3 speed but i have a question about driving it.
Can i hold my foot on the clutch/brake pedal when moving, and regulate the movement with it?
Or is it better to regulate the movement only with the gas lever and only press the clutch/brake pedal when i want to come to a stop?

Somehow it feels more safe to me to let my foot rest on the clutch/brake pedal so i can brake when i need to come to a stop fast, and it feels handy to regulate the speed with it when coming to a turn etc.

·
Administrator
5,587 Posts
The trouble with partially pressing the clutch pedal is that you are regulating the speed by the belt slipping. This tends to wear it out quicker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your replies guys.
I am using the Wheel Horse 800 for several gardening tasks now, i like it allot.
I am using it to roll my garden and to transport my trailer full of garden stuff.
I was wondering, how can i check the oil level on this Wheelhorse?
I don't see a dipstick??

·
5,852 Posts
WOW!..it is looking good...can you take a picture of the engine..can't really tell from this one how to check oil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts