My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gio that link should be a must read for tractor owners. Very good info. for new tractor owners just getting started. motobike i agree "Never enough Stuff"

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Good job, gio! I learned a lot from perusing that document! Most of the terminology I had already come across here, but still didn't know what some of the things were. I need to print that one!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice site; I want to get a chain harrow to use for pastures and driveway. Looking at a 6ft 3pt from ABI Attachments. More than I though it would cost but looks like what I need. How does everyone like them?

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
410 Posts
Nice site; I want to get a chain harrow to use for pastures and driveway. Looking at a 6ft 3pt from ABI Attachments. More than I though it would cost but looks like what I need. How does everyone like them?
Actually, I thought the $380 price for their 6-footer was pretty reasonable. Those things can be expensive. I like ABI's "chat" function, too. Pretty well-done website, IMO. Now if I could just get some of their toys .. :D

For pastures, the chain harrow would be great. In aggressive mode, it would scuff up the surface well for overseeding or general aeration. Quicker & much less aggressive than a disc harrow. In passive mode, the chain harrow would lightly cover most of the seed.

For driveways, I've seen about 4 or 5 different implements used: a box or scraper blade, a chain harrow, a landscape rake, and what EverythingAttachments calls a Land Plane or Land Leveler. Like everything else, the "best" one probably depends a lot on your surface material, how much of it you have to do, how good the operator is with a given attachment and how much time you want to spend at it. The box blade can do the job as could the chain harrow (if it's a dirt road or lightly graveled). The landscape rake I'm not too sure of; no experience with them but seems like it's not as aggressive a tool as the others. Could be wrong, though. Maybe those spring-steel tines are more aggressive than I think. The Land Plane is pricey but looks like a champ if road maintenance is your big need.

In any case, I personally believe a chain harrow's one of those tools that's worth having. It's just too handy a tool. That's me, though, and as is often said: YMMV (your mileage may vary)!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice find with good info for this "newb". ;)

Thank you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks, Gio. I read it all, then saved it to my computer. It gave me pause about getting a spreader, but I'm liking the disk bedder and bed shaper. Now, where to find them -- off to the implements threads! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
:thThumbsU Good information. All new tractor owners for the first time should see this information. Especially since it is free!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agreed! Good link my friend. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts