My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeez, Titleist balls at 50 bucks? They're nuts. What do you guys like besides good Finders? I had some Pinnacles that felt pretty soft, and I've also liked playing with Dunlop. Basically I really suck, so it doesn't matter to me that I'm not using the best ball. Most people play golf with me just so they can laugh. It's free entertainment for them. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
I haven'y bought golf balls in years. I hit my ball, chase it into the woods, and usually come out with 5-6 more. Titleist and Pinnacle are my favorites.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also, make sure you wash your balls often.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Jeez, Titleist balls at 50 bucks? They're nuts. What do you guys like besides good Finders? I had some Pinnacles that felt pretty soft, and I've also liked playing with Dunlop. Basically I really suck, so it doesn't matter to me that I'm not using the best ball. Most people play golf with me just so they can laugh. It's free entertainment for them. Thanks in advance.
Hey I'm only a 5 handicap: short, fat, blind, deaf & bald. :ROF My late golfing partner (God rest his soul) was a scratch player and he used lady Precepts; I tried them briefly but after 11 holes or so would have to get a new one out of the bag because they would loose their zing, probably from deforming. For years and years I used the men's hex dimpled Callaway blue (soft) but as age increased and swing speed decreased I switched to the Callaway Solaire and the rest as they say is history. Glad I stocked up years ago.
Btw, what's in your bag?

Also, make sure you wash your balls often.
Hey that's a fact, removing all dirt and crud from the dimples will keep the ball in flight longer and you'll have better control for sure.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Here's a list of really good golf balls I've used in the past that won't break the bank:
#1 Wilson Staff (Nifty 50 & Smart Core)
#2 Pinnacle
#3 Strata (Callaway)
#4 Top Flight (excluding XL)
#5 Precept

The Titleist ProV 1 is not on this list or the above post not only due to the price but I personally did not like it, nor did my old partner. I remember my old buddy "pawpaw" saying it was a really finicky ball to play unless you hit that #!*^ dime size sweet spot every time lol.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,089 Posts
Whatever Wally World has on sale, usually the X-outs, or the ones I find while looking for my lost ones.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
I actually play better with found balls. Since they don't cost anything, I don't worry about losing them.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
ProV1x,

The private club I belong to has an annual sale through Titleist. Buy 3 dozen get a dozen free with personalized # and personalized message. Got the new yellow ones this year.

I like Srixon Z stars a lot too.

Currently an 8 handicap.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ProV1x,

The private club I belong to has an annual sale through Titleist. Buy 3 dozen get a dozen free with personalized # and personalized message. Got the new yellow ones this year.

I like Srixon Z stars a lot too.

Currently an 8 handicap.
You are almost a pro with an 8 handicap

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You are almost a pro with an 8 handicap
Trending to 6 right now, will definitely be a 7 at the next cycle setting the index.:tango_face_wink:

The course I am now playing is much harder than the previous one. I had an average score of 78 on that one and 81.7 on this one.

We play virtually every day weather permitting, it's pretty good exercise walking 18.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Here a few pics of the club.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I was out repairing the overhead door lock on the cart shed at the course on campus, the greenskeeper ask if I needed any golf balls, points to a fifty gallon drum filled to the top with golf balls, I passed as it could be considered gifts.

Titleist sends me a sleeve golf balls every now and then, latest were "Tour Soft".

I used to putt a Balata ball for the soft feel, I wonder if these would be similar?

When I buy, it usually is Bridgestone.

CCMoe

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I was out repairing the overhead door lock on the cart shed at the course on campus, the greenskeeper ask if I needed any golf balls, points to a fifty gallon drum filled to the top with golf balls, I passed as it could be considered gifts.

Titleist sends me a sleeve golf balls every now and then, latest were "Tour Soft".

I used to putt a Balata ball for the soft feel, I wonder if these would be similar?

When I buy, it usually is Bridgestone.

CCMoe
Bridgestone make a ton of different models, which ones??

I like the Bridgestone 330 S, the RX's and RXS are decent too in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Bridgestone make a ton of different models, which ones??

I like the Bridgestone 330 S, the RX's and RXS are decent too in cold weather.
E6 is what I buy, I'll let someone else buy the Titleist and hit them into the woods.

CCMoe

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
E6 is what I buy, I'll let someone else buy the Titleist and hit them into the woods.

CCMoe
E6 is good for very cold weather and super windy conditions early in the season.

At the club I play, I find a LOT of golf balls. Generally over half are Pro V1 or Prov V1x's. I generally find 1.5 Five gallon pails of balls/year. I donate the ones I don't want to a youth group.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
E6 is good for very cold weather and super windy conditions early in the season.

At the club I play, I find a LOT of golf balls. Generally over half are Pro V1 or Prov V1x's. I generally find 1.5 Five gallon pails of balls/year. I donate the ones I don't want to a youth group.
c5rulz,

The course I played closed down and was sold for pasture, tillable farm ground and one guy put some grape vines on one section. It died due to poor management and greed. An ex insurance adjuster bought it, put in a back nine to make it eighteen holes. Really nice course for this area, west central Illinois. He didn't want to work it once he got the back nine in, I guess he watched "Field of Dreams" one too many times. Almost every time I went out there, the owner was washing mud off carts due to the fact that he was to cheap to put gravel on the cart paths. Probably the cheapest thing you can buy for a golf course is gravel, nope, he would rather wash carts.

https://www.swancreekgolfclub.com

The death of a golf course.

Land Auction ? The Swan Creek Golf Club | Van Adkisson Auction Service, LLC

This was my retirement plan, go out and play several rounds a week once I retired, 60 now, guess I'll find something else.

CCMoe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts