My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a free gold series Lawn Boy last week. Slapped an old coil on it I had laying around. It started and ran. Then no spark.
I got a brand new coil, started ran, then no spark. Put that brand new coil on another mower, no spark. What the :duh::duh::duh:
Is it possible that the gold series is messing up coils somehow??

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Nah I don't see how a mower could cause a coil to fail, but I could see maybe how a bad or an incorrect spark plug might cause it to fail. Who knows you might of just had some bad luck with coils, I've heard of many folks that have recieved bad solid states coils right out of the box to, so I wouldn't be sold on any of those being good just because they are brand new.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Never heard of anything like that. One thing I've ran into causing intermittent spark on a 10515 (Gold F series) is that little terminal that the ignition kill wire connects to was making contact even with the bail handle held down. What happens if you unplug the kill wire from the coil and spin it through. Spark then? Another possibility is that wire being pinched somewhere grounding, causing the coil to produce no spark.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of anything like that. One thing I've ran into causing intermittent spark on a 10515 (Gold F series) is that little terminal that the ignition kill wire connects to was making contact even with the bail handle held down. What happens if you unplug the kill wire from the coil and spin it through. Spark then? Another possibility is that wire being pinched somewhere grounding, causing the coil to produce no spark.
I tried the coil on another lawn boy with the same result. I contacted the seller on e-bay and he is sending me another coil. I had a bad coil out of the box last summer and I had to eat it.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Is it Toro / OE or aftermarket? I've had one aftermarket coil dead out of the box before. Haven't seen it on a Toro one yet though. Glad the seller is taking care of you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts