My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:howdy:By the end of summer I plan to purchase a used tractor, I am searching craigs list and want ad digest getting some ideas. I can only afford to spend 7000-12000 dollars. The less I spend (and get what I need the better) I am looking for a loader and backhoe, Most likely I will by a loader and later by the backhoe attachment as I have seen them for approx 3000 used, this will allow me to purchase a nicer initial tractor/loader. I have a couple of projects to do initially then I plan mostly to mow, clear my driveway and move around fire wood with it. My initial projects include extending my driveway (pulling stumps, grading and laying gravel, also have some larger rocks to move.) I would like the backhoe to install some drainage around the property.
I have seen quite a few older ford tractors for sale all 4x4 models 2000,1920,1710,1310 priced between 5500 and 11500, all with loaders, 27-37hp. I have come across a couple Kabota, MF, and John Deere's that seem to be good deals also but they don't seem to be the norm. What should I be looking for in a used tractor, anything particular I want it to have if I intend on adding a backhoe later. What is meant by single or dual front or rear remotes? transmission types vs. tractor main use? I am not partial to these ford models they just seem abudant and priced right, any models to stay away from? parts availability? I have also seen some other model brands in my price range Cat challenger,deutz allis and Zeto any info on these.I have found sub compacts from kubota and MF within my price range with the back hoe already but don't know if these would be large enough to move some of the large rocks I have here. 4x4 vs. higher horsepower 2x2? Any other info you can provide to help me make a informed decision is appreciated
as I have never owned a tractor.:dunno: :thanku:

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
The lawn mowing and FEL work go best with a hydro transmission. The majority of your hours will be on those tasks. A back hoe is an asset for stump removal. A 27 - 37 hp tractor might be a little heavy for the lawn mowing, even with a quick detach FEL and back hoe.

It sounds like you need 2 tractors, one of which can be a GT for the mowing, and the other in the hp range you mentioned for the construction work. Either that or drop down in horsepower for a SCUT that will do everything, but take more time for the heavy jobs. MF GC2310 comes to mind along with the JD2305 and the Kubota BX series, all good machines and there are others.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
... Either that or drop down in horsepower for a SCUT that will do everything, but take more time for the heavy jobs. MF GC2310 comes to mind along with the JD2305 and the Kubota BX series, all good machines and there are others.
I agree with Tudor. I think you are presently targeting too much tractor and hp.

In your price range, you could purchase a brand new Kubota BX1860 with an FEL and mower deck, and full warranty. You could add an aftermerket backhoe later, if you find you really need it. Another option is to rent a mini ecavator if you only need that capability infrequently (backhoes are very expensive to just have sitting most of the time).

A SCUT (sub-compact utility tractor), new or used, is what you should be looking at. Kubota BX series, John Deere 2210, 2305, MF 2300/2310 or 2400/2410, etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dennis- The advise is good. The old Ford 1XXX series were tanks. I had a Ford 1100 (4WMFWD 13/11PTO HP) with dual hydraulic dozer blade, 42" tiller, 48" rotary cutter. It served me well-I miss not having it on occassion. My only concern is that Ford replacement parts are currently available for most models, but I do not believe that parts will be as plentiful in the future. As to size my NH is really too big and heavy to cut the lawn and the weighted R-1's really tear up the lawn. I have a garden tractor fo lawn mowing an for materials handling. The remotes control the hydraulics. I wish that I had a rear remote :(. Backhoes are great to own, but often see little if any use excepting excavation projects. A mini is the way to go with excavation projects.

Before you ever pull a stump, log, anything, do FEL work, and/or mow PLEASE read everything that can be found about tractor rollovers AND wear the seatbelt if you have a ROPS

PS: Good luck in your search and acquisition. Sit on as many tractors and meet as many tractor dealers/dealerships as reasonable. And have fun- don't get hung up on the "data".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input, I think a scut would do everything I need with the possible exception of moving some of the larger rocks, If you ask how much they weigh I say "A LOT" as i have no Idea. the larger ones are about 12-16 inches high and 1ft by 2ft across the top, I suspect its dug up bed rock from when the house was built, some of it is shale some of it is a heavy material, I am in Upstate ny by the Mass. border.

Dennis

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
... I think a scut would do everything I need with the possible exception of moving some of the larger rocks, If you ask how much they weigh I say "A LOT" as i have no Idea. the larger ones are about 12-16 inches high and 1ft by 2ft across the top,....

Dennis
Dennis, those rocks don't sound all that large. Hard to say, but take a look at the thread linked below. Although it's title says "CUT", many or most of the tractors in the thread are actually SCUTs:

What Can a CUT Do?

·
gwing
66 Posts
for my money i would go with a massey 2410
i have a 2300 i put a after market loader and backhoe on my self
the tractor has done then i ever thouht it would do
if i ever buy a nother one i would go with the 2410 with fel & bh already
on it
the thgc2410 has wider rear deck then the 2300 or 2310

i have owned johndeere and kabota both are good tractors
i just like the massey better and it has a little better lift capassity:fing32: