My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some seeds that I'm going to put down within the next 2-4 wks and I just want to get some opinions on if this is mowed low enough. I have spent the last 3 wks prepping the yard by raking and getting all the leaves and loose grass up so the seeds will have a better chance to touch the ground. I mowed on about 2 to a little more than 2 inches and will mowe again right before I put the seeds down.

I was wondering how this whole process works as if some of the seeds are laying on the blades of grass, will those seeds have to actually touch the dirt to germinate? I know some will touch the dirt and others will be lying on top of the blades of grass so just wondering if they will catch and germinate also.

Here's a pic of the lawn after mowing yesterday

Attachments

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,430 Posts
I've overseeded the past two falls by mowing low (about 2") and then aerating before spreading the seed around and haven't had a problem with the seed getting stuck in the grass. I think you can even mow lower as long as you can stand it and give it some water. I've also heard of people towing chain link fence or something behind after seeding to make sure the seeds settle in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've overseeded the past two falls by mowing low (about 2") and then aerating before spreading the seed around and haven't had a problem with the seed getting stuck in the grass. I think you can even mow lower as long as you can stand it and give it some water. I've also heard of people towing chain link fence or something behind after seeding to make sure the seeds settle in.
it would seem that the fence would drag some seeds to other areas and may leave some areas without seed :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts