My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a clean looking 1920 for sale, 940hrs, 60" deck ( supposedly needs a pulley but the shell looks good) , front blade and wheel weights. I'm not sure if it's a hyd. angle blade but the tractor does have the aux. hyd. lever so I think it is. Seems like a decent price at $600.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics tomorrow if it follows me home :)

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Wow...that's a fantastic price! The hydro angle blades are scarce, and get most of your asking price above, on their own (tha aux hydro controls are scarce as well, so I've been told). Fingers crossed for ya!! =]

You already know we wanna see pics...

(I'm gonna have to go look around for posts on your '64...sounds like a nice little setup!)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm hoping its a power angle, I've seen how much the aux. hyd. controls go for so I figure I can't lose at $600.
I already have a (Sunstar) GTH20 with a 3pt, 48" deck and front weight bracket (free :).

Really I want the 60" deck and front blade, plus I really like the color of the Deutz looks over the Sunstar for some reason.

Sorry no pics or info on the '64's, the one was restored a long time ago before this site existed, and the other one I got before I found this site. I really need to dig it out and redo the restoration one day along with my Surf and the 5010 that started this whole crazy hobby!

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Oh man...you have 909 posts here, and have held out on TWO '64's, a Sunstar, Serf and a Broadmoor? It is my opinion that you should get the camera out on a sunny day and show/tell us all about those!

Where do I submit personal complaints to the moderators? :dunno:

Seriously though, some guys buy those SS's for almost that kind of money, just for the power steering and other parts. She's a no brainer.

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
I've seen the blades bring $500 and I sold a 60 inch deck for $ 475 you better jump on it , if blade is hydro it is worth more I hope it's there when you get there.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went and picked it up, it has power angle on the plow and looks like it wasn't used a lot, started right up, little smoke but cleared right up, drove it around and everything seems to work, didn't try the PTO as the half of the pto shaft was still hooked up. The deck is in decent shape but has a little more rust under the belt covers than I was hoping and a dent on the front lip but no rust through. The guy even had the front PTO cover and discharge chute for the deck!

No pictures as it was pouring rain when I got home and now its dark, but I'll make sure I get some tomorrow.

It does have a pretty good vibration at part throttle with the blade up but gets better at full throttle, probably be replacing the engine mounts, just hope the u-joints are ok.

Oh yeah, got it for $500 :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Well I went and picked it up, it has power angle on the plow and looks like it wasn't used a lot, started right up, little smoke but cleared right up, drove it around and everything seems to work, didn't try the PTO as the half of the pto shaft was still hooked up. The deck is in decent shape but has a little more rust under the belt covers than I was hoping and a dent on the front lip but no rust through. The guy even had the front PTO cover and discharge chute for the deck!

No pictures as it was pouring rain when I got home and now its dark, but I'll make sure I get some tomorrow.

It does have a pretty good vibration at part throttle with the blade up but gets better at full throttle, probably be replacing the engine mounts, just hope the u-joints are ok.

Oh yeah, got it for $500 :thThumbsU
WOW!! you stole that!!! Sounds like the vibration is the driveshaft from the engine to the hydro pump. Just needs shimmed back further on the splines. If I remember right, one or two flat washers will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
33,720 Posts
Almost bought a DA 1920 as my first "Green" tractor. Sound like a heck of a deal you managed with this one!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sun came out today so I unloaded and put it away in the shed for now, snapped a few pictures for you guys first.
They sold it because it broke the deck belt, the pulley on the gearbox is slightly bent but my guess it has something to do with the worn spindle bearings and ............. anyone see something wrong with the blades?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,720 Posts
Nice looking 1920! I suspect though it has a really uneven cut! Even I've made that mistake before! Normally doesn't take long to figure it out though.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, upside down blade is bad, but there's another problem....................these pictures might help, if your familiar with the 60" simplicity decks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Yep, outside blades need to be swapped side to side. The trim side and center rotate clockwise, and the discharge blade rotates counter clockwise..

Also the lift wings need to be up not down.

What do I win?? :dunno:

Overall looks good!! Except for the fact someone tryed to push a tree over.. :Disgus:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on removing the front baffle and changing the discharge blade to a LH rotation, hopefully the shell is ok once I clean the rust off. One day I plan on doing a fab. RH deck in 54", using a more standard blade..........one day.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I plan on removing the front baffle and changing the discharge blade to a LH rotation, hopefully the shell is ok once I clean the rust off. One day I plan on doing a fab. RH deck in 54", using a more standard blade..........one day.
I done that once, removed the baffle, and got a shorter belt and changed the blade on the discharge side. Results. deck uses less HP to run, BUT it would leave a uncut strip inbetween the center and discharge blade at times. Deck dont have the suction to pull up the grass from the front tire. I switched it back after a couple mows..

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
I have had people tell me they weanted to change the left blade but the 60 inch deck mowes better than the 48 why would that be . I think you will be fixing something thats not broke. I have been mowing with a Sunstar for about 15 years and have 5 of them. Good Luck/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts