My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...a Murray model 442544X8C (can't find anything on it in Google) but he says it is marked as a "Murray Select Wide Body 42 in" it has what I suspect to be a ruined 16.5 HP B&S because he said he ran it out of oil, then over filled it and when he ran it, it "made a noise" so he shut it down. I'm looking to flip this mower if I get it. I have a Tecumseh 17.5 hp in need of a chassis so it's not a big deal if the engine is bad. He did not post pictures of the mower so I really don't know what it looks like. I was hoping a Murray expert could help me here. He is asking $200 and with what I know of the engine in it I don't think I'll offer more than $100. Not everyone is shopping for mowers with blown engines so I doubt he is having his phone ring off the hook over this ad.
:thanku:

EDIT:// Just figured out he added an extra "4" to the beginning of the model number:trink40:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Roughly, the tractor looks like the one pictured below. That body style with a few changes along the way was used from 1997 [The introduction to the Wide Body line of tractors] until 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad looking little tractor. Can you help the ignorant with another question. While it seems self explanitory, I see no difference... What makes it a "Wide Body"?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Stang - I'm gonna chime in about the flipping aspect of it. As you indicated the guy probably doesn't have a lot of phone calls, but don't think there aren't guys like me who do rider flipping that hasn't looked it over already. $200 is WAY to much for it. If the paint and deck is nice, and nothing much more other than the engine is all you''ll need to do to it, then $100 is absolutely the highest you should give for it. If you go back and talk to the guy tell him that in order for it to be a fixable rider for you, you really shouldn't go higher than $50. Shouldn't is the operative word there, not couldn't, which implies you are final on the offer. Be prepared to turn on your heel when he says no, he'll keep it and fix it or some such story. Be polite, but just hand him your phone number (already prepared) and say, I might could do a little more, but...... and keep walking. He'll either cave then or call you later, when his wife gets wind of the fact he had a buyer for the junker, and tells him, "you call him up." That represents dinner out to her, maybe. Don't get into the I'm gonna fix it conversation, just keep looking at it, kicking the tires, so to speak. You don't want to soak a bunch of money into one, and the fact you have an engine in your possession, is a help. Don't let that owner know anything about your intentions or that you already have an engine, or anything. Complain about the shape it is in, and how much its gonna cost to fix it with a new engine. Try to get him convinced he really won't have anybody else, reinforce it by turning on your heel. Do walk away and just tell him to let you know if he changes his mind. If you don't get this one, there are others out there. Just advertise for them.

I just bought two, this past week. They weren't advertised, I did the advertising, WTB on Criaigslist. I just usually say, I need to buy a riding lawn mower, if it doesn't run, I can fix it. Call anytime, yada, yada, yada........The last time I did that I had a dozen responses. I chose the ones I could get cheap, and told the others I couldn't "invest" the amount they wanted. I bought a Stanley by Murray that at present, I haven't determined whether it is a runner. Only paid $50 for it. I also bought a surprise. See the recent thread - $50 - Is it a re-badged Murray. That turned out to be a no-name re-badged Murray from 1984, and required battery to be charged, a new solenoid, air up 2 tires, and I have already mowed my grass with it. If I decide to sell it now, it would bring about $300, but I'd try for $350, because it is in good shape....

That is a rough idea of what I do. I will say, depending on the amount asked for the rider, and what I think I have to do to it to make it run, I might give the $100 for a non-runner, but it has to look sharp in every other aspect, and age certainly has a lot to do with it, as does the total cost of parts above the purchase to get it fixed up. Your job is to educate the man about the value. One way is that its value as scrap is only about $35-$40 at most, and you'll give him the $50 , and he doesn't have to haul it to the metal recycling place.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks hankll, I apreciate the advice and it seems spot on! I am new to the riding mower biz but I have flipped a couple dozen cars.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Thanks hankll, I apreciate the advice and it seems spot on! I am new to the riding mower biz but I have flipped a couple dozen cars.
I'm the other way around, I've flipped auction cars 5 times, and I was a nervous wreck the whole time, until someone would sign on the dotted line! And my profit just wasn't good enough after all was done to the car to make it presentable. I don't sweat the small stuff with the mowers, which if I could claim expertise, these riders would be as close to that description as I can get.

I didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't have a brain. Bad habit of mine to make it my explanations both long and professorial. So Sorry about that. It just is my nature to share what little wisdom I have........

P.S. As far as profit between auction cars and riding lawnmowers, percentage seems higher with the riders, for me, it is at least 50-75% on a regular basis to as high as 300% if I strike it good on a mower that doesn't need more than $15-$50 of parts to make it sell-able.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took no offence to your posting. I truelly apreciate it. I decided to see what I could do with mowers for similar reasons as you have stated. Cars take more time and money to bring up to a sellable condition. The proffit margin is dicey sometimes and the cars take up too much space.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I took no offence to your posting. I truelly apreciate it. I decided to see what I could do with mowers for similar reasons as you have stated. Cars take more time and money to bring up to a sellable condition. The proffit margin is dicey sometimes and the cars take up too much space.
I once got turned into code dept because I had 5 vehicles setting in my driveway area, behind my house, all in various stages of prep. I didn't do much with auction cars after that.

"The proffit margin is dicey sometimes and the cars take up too much space."

:ditto:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Bad habit of mine to make it my explanations both long and professorial.
I do the same thing hankll. Just the other night responding in a thread I say to my wife "Why do I over explain everything and use $20 words?" In person I'm nothing like that. Maybe cause we can't see the persons face or we can't use our hands or face or use an inflection in our voice we over explain. Thats a perfect example, "inflection", who uses that word? Yikes. I sound pompous even explaining why I may sound pompous............I give up lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:sidelaughThis has turned into an entertaining conversation
Laughing PakMan is online inflection.
Anyway, I went to look at the 1999 model Murray Wide Body Select today and the guy would not budge on his price. I walked or rather drove. The chassis was nice but without a reliable running engine $200 is just too much. No profit margin for me. I now am trying to get ahold of a guy with an early 80's John Deere 116 he has advertized as a runner needing the deck reassembled for $75. I'd love to get that classic.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Agreed. $200 is way too much. IIRC it's not even a hydro. With Murray, the quality is there, but the respect and market value isn't. The silly thing is, if it was green and had LA stamped on the side, he would get $500.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Way to go! Did you leave a phone number? He might realize his mistake later.

NO LONG EXPLANATIONS!

This is a habit of mine. Like BBY, I tend to be wordy with the dictionary vocabulary. I sure don't talk that way in person, in fact if my income is an indicator of that, I'm not lying about that fact! I laughed later about the professorial comment I made, because a professor type, I ain't.

The good thing is I know I went long when my response takes up my whole computer screen!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts