My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Compulsive Fixer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all from a first time poster,

My father gave me a '99 10424 Gold Pro w/ the 6.5 DF which hadn't been run for a couple of years due to (wait for it...) the engine surging. After nosing around the forums for a few days, I took the carb apart, cleaned it, and noticed the governor spring was stretched real bad. Now, to be fair, I'm sure my hamfisted disassembly that first time didn't help :).

After trying to stay on the cheap & replacing only the governor spring yesterday, the surging issue remains. The primer bulb also decided to fall apart so I'm putting together a parts order & would like to know what suggestions everyone has for this?

Besides the primer bulb (and yes, I'm going to add the filter below the bulb), I'm also replacing all carb gaskets, needle valve & seat, float, and going with a new 42.5 pilot jet & a new stock 77.5 main jet. What else should I be doing to this mower?

Per several post's instructions, I'd like to add an inline fuel filter & shutoff valve, so can someone suggest a good vendor & part numbers for these?

Thanks in advance for taking a look & for all the great info already.

Clint

·
4,275 Posts
Hi Clint, Welcome to MTF.
It sounds like you have it under control.
I'm sure someone will be able to tell you anything you may have forgotten.
Remember, pictures of the work.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Any small engine shop should have the 90 degree fuel shut-offs. I get my filters from O'Reilly's autoparts. Either the sintered bronze ones or the red disk style. Either one is under $3.

And....:Welcome1:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good luck. I have done all of those things except the primer bulb - complete breakdown of carb. Spring, seats, 42.5 pilot. Still a surging,embarrassing monster. I have given up. The engine is new, perfect compression, ports perfect.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I've always had my surging problem with duraforces solved by wire brushing the pilot jet. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

·
Compulsive Fixer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

johnsonmk - I will post before & after pics as soon as the job is done, "because they make the forum more interesting", right? ;) Which I completely agree with, but that won't stop me from giving you a little grief; it's just my way of doing things.

I found the 90° in-line valve at the web site I'm buying parts from.

So the only question I've got left is what level of filtration will suffice on the fuel filter? I've seen from 125 microns, down to 10 microns without a staggering difference in price or form factor.

I'm pretty green, but want to learn as much as I can, so thanks again to everyone for chiming in on the thread.

Clint

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So the only question I've got left is what level of filtration will suffice on the fuel filter? I've seen from 125 microns, down to 10 microns without a staggering difference in price or form factor.
Clint

Most filters are listed as either for use on gravity feed fuel tanks or fuel pump engines. The sintered bronze one I mentioned above is, I think, listed at 40 micron. That is very small for gravity feed and I didn't know this when I bought a few. I have one on my 10424 and 2 more on F series motors. They haven't shown signs of premature clogging or causing lean running, yet. For now, I think I'll stick with the red disk ones until I have more hours on the bronze ones. I'll keep everyone informed as I run them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Most filters are listed as either for use on gravity feed fuel tanks or fuel pump engines. The sintered bronze one I mentioned above is, I think, listed at 40 micron. That is very small for gravity feed and I didn't know this when I bought a few. I have one on my 10424 and 2 more on F series motors. They haven't shown signs of premature clogging or causing lean running, yet. For now, I think I'll stick with the red disk ones until I have more hours on the bronze ones. I'll keep everyone informed as I run them.
How do these compare to the Briggs paper filters? I have the Briggs big paper ones on my DF and V and no surging on either.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would consider the 10424 a very nice, rarish mower as it has the duraforce engine and a nice light aluminum push deck. I have the red briggs and stratton disc filter on my duraforce, it has been on there for many months and the mower runs awesome, no surging or running lean at all.

·
Compulsive Fixer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This seems to be the skinny on the most common fuel filters:

B&S 5018H - Red Disc - 150 micron - Gravity feed application

B&S 5098H - White Disc - 75 micron - Gravity feed application

B&S 5065H - White Canister (Blue Canister for the older 691035) - 60 micron - Fuel pump application (says B&S)

Most of the pictures of these setups I've seen on the forums have either the 5018H or the 5065H installed, and no one's cussing the 5065H that I've seen (insert standard novice disclaimer here).

Seems like if the filter isn't impeding the fuel supply, more filtration is better & I'd be better off with the 5065H, right?

Clint

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
How do these compare to the Briggs paper filters? I have the Briggs big paper ones on my DF and V and no surging on either.

I'm not sure. It depends on if the one you're talking about is for pumps or not. The red disk filters are Briggs for gravity feed tanks. The red ones at O'Reillys are just a copy of the Briggs ones. The bronze ones are very tight filters but so far I've not had fuel flow problems.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This seems to be the skinny on the most common fuel filters:

B&S 5018H - Red Disc - 150 micron - Gravity feed application

B&S 5098H - White Disc - 75 micron - Gravity feed application

B&S 5065H - White Canister (Blue Canister for the older 691035) - 60 micron - Fuel pump application (says B&S)

Most of the pictures of these setups I've seen on the forums have either the 5018H or the 5065H installed, and no one's cussing the 5065H that I've seen (insert standard novice disclaimer here).

Seems like if the filter isn't impeding the fuel supply, more filtration is better & I'd be better off with the 5065H, right?

Clint
I have been using the 5065H on my DF and V series on BIG hills and no surging or starving. The filter itself actually holds ALOT of fuel.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I use the B&S 5065 paper element filter on all my DF's and M series mowers. The number printed on the filter itself is 493629. The fuel pump model is the same filter but they include a couple of spring fuel line clamps so the higher pressure won't blow the line off the filter. If you are concerned that a filter won't flow enough fuel just test it by pulling the fuel line off the carb and then turning on the fuel shut off valve and observing how much fuel flows out the line. My DF's use about a tank an hour under heavy load, my guess is that most any Fuel filter will flow that much in 5 to 10 minutes. Good luck!

·
Compulsive Fixer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone else who decides to go with a fuel filter & shutoff valve that needs stuff spelled out for them (like I need), the 90° in-line valve that seems popular is the B&S 698181. This one has the 1/4" ID double-barbed inlet & outlet lines for gravity feed fuel systems.

I'm going to give this & the 5065H filter a shot. Will report back (with photos) after available time & cash have met me in the garage with the mower, and a cold beer or two if I'm lucky.

I'll see you all on the other side. ;)

Semper Lawn Puer

·
Compulsive Fixer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've recently re-discovered this forum and decided to make good on providing photos of the mower. Hey, it's only been four years and eleven months since I said I would, right? :thThumbsU

The initial work I did on the carb in 2009 fixed the surging problem until the next summer, as the carb was all gummed up from the fuel left in it. Ethanol is not my engine's friend, but my own laziness is it's worst enemy.

After cleaning the carb every spring - and most importantly the idle jet with a bit of scrap guitar string - it would go back to behaving again with the surging issue almost completely resolved. However, this spring it decided to hate me, so I had to slap it around a bit. Bored the idle jet out with one size bigger drill (I forget the number) and then installed the filter and shut-off valve.

Here's the mower - Lawn Boy GoldPro Series model 10424 with 6.5 HP DuraForce engine.

A look at the top shroud:

And the fuel line with shut-off valve and fuel filter. Note - that's water. Finished mowing and after letting it cool, sprayed off the top of the deck.

It rained off and on all day here in Missouri, like it has been for the past two weeks. But the sun poked out for a couple hours, just long enough to make pavement dry so I hit the yard as soon as I got off work. It eats through the two weeks of wet grass with throttle set just a hair above idle and never even hinted at bogging down.

I know it's just a push mower, but I'm tickled to get it working properly. :thanku:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts