My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a C141 Auto today but the owner won't sell for less than $800. He says the hydraulic lift makes it worth that much (this is the second summer it's been for sale he said!). It has the plastic fender pan that is ripped to crap, the seat is non-existant, but the motor sounds and runs nice, is rusted. I'm going to pass - definitely!

However - a friend who knows I have a couple emailed to say he'd seen a Wheel Horse beside the road for $300 in pretty good shape with no mower. When he looked at it, the engine was a Kohler 16hp. The owner started it up and said he just wants it gone. I hope to get over to look at it this week! I have a nice shiny truck to pick it up but no ramps - got to work on that and fast!!

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Gotta love those folks that want to "wait a few days"...lol
I used to be one of those....thinking no one would come and get
it before me......lol That notion changed in a hurry!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cute guys! I'm in the middle of building an attached mudroom (obviously my priorities are"totally" skewed (or is that screwed?). I took out a basement window and because of impending rain had to make sure it was all closed back up and cedar shaked. Some of my best work as there's no sign a window was ever there, much less for 18 years!

If it's in good shape my biggest problem will be loading it - got to find a set of ramps!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay, so it's south of Micah on I-95! I'm getting closer!:bananapow
I'm headed norht on I-85 to link up w/I-95 lol:sidelaugh

Don't let it get away.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Cute guys! I'm in the middle of building an attached mudroom (obviously my priorities are"totally" skewed (or is that screwed?). I took out a basement window and because of impending rain had to make sure it was all closed back up and cedar shaked. Some of my best work as there's no sign a window was ever there, much less for 18 years!

If it's in good shape my biggest problem will be loading it - got to find a set of ramps!!!
Ramps?? Ramps?? We don't need no stinkin RAMPS!!! :sidelaugh

2x8's any lumber yard, but if your building a mud room you have something that should work now!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Dave, I went up and down I-95 and couldn't find it. Did you get it??

Inquiring minds want to know........or are you still on the mud room??

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to do a thousand things that are pressing but not more than important than chasing down the tractor. I'm going to try and go look at it tomorrow in the rain (forecasted anyhoo!).

I've actually been in the classroom some - when the university asks me to work I don't say no. I'm working Saturday (enjoyable!) by taking four international students to the Bay Festival in Bucksport, Maine. I'll be hooking up with some of my old classmates and visiting my parents too.

I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a complete disaster for the money. I called the owner and he said one of the front tires is flat and that it's in good shape, but that it runs and doesn't smoke. Also no attachments - $300, hmmmmm.

My C120-8 is starting to smoke up a storm so I'd like to have something to take it's place while I rebuild the engine.

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
Let us know--Dave.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well - I forgot the camera to document in case I left it which I did. When I got there I was thrown by the silver tractor w/red trim and a B&S 16hp twin and the words GT1600, Work Horse by Wheel Horse. The tag was unreadable but I found the model number inside as A1-16B801. According to Toro, a 1984.

The tractor ran (smoked at start but went away), the tranny had no oil on the stick, the pto wouldn't move, flat tire, but what stopped me was the metal. t
This is more than a major project as most of the console and battery compartment needed total replacement. The frame under the engine was in pretty rough shape but it may have been surface. The engine sounded okay but when the clutch was depressed it moved like there was major work needed on that too.

I wanted something as a quick, reliable piece that I could put right to work, but this would take time, and more resources than I have available. Soooo - I'm moving the Charger 10 inside tomorrow and getting to work on it. It's in better shape, ran without smoking before I took the carb off to rebuild, and it's a 69'. If the Tecumseh HH100 doesn't work out, I'll re-engine it. You'll be hearing more on this!:thThumbsU

All in all, a very interesting day and a chance to put some miles on the truck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup - I ran out of time though and didn't get to see the 48" snow blade for $125. Of course, I have a 42".....

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was on craigslist one day and forud an ad thst said wheel horse with a plow for sale call art for details $250. i picked it up that day and brought it home and have been working on it ever since this spring

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was my worry stuckindaburbs! As it is, I've got a major project going that requires something to haul stuff. Even though it's smoking it runs well, so I'm cleaning up the Charger 10.

Anyone have a spray degreaser they prefer - the Charger has accumulations of gunk that I need to get off. I may get some inexpensive carb cleaner and spray her down.

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
That was my worry stuckindaburbs! As it is, I've got a major project going that requires something to haul stuff. Even though it's smoking it runs well, so I'm cleaning up the Charger 10.

Anyone have a spray degreaser they prefer - the Charger has accumulations of gunk that I need to get off. I may get some inexpensive carb cleaner and spray her down.
I use Brakleen in the red can--best I've found for the price....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
my degreaser I use is a 3500lb, of hot water from a power washer and a hot box heater works good takes all grease off and the hard grease thats been on for years

1 - 20 of 20 Posts