My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Gravely owners. I just purchased a roughish gmt 9000. Previous owner built a home made front snowblower for it and never used the cutting decks. They also repowed it with a vw1.6 diesel engine.... I purchased it to do both snow and grass .... my problem is im missing peices for the belly mower to attach to the tracktor itself. But i cannot find any info/parts break down on the the mowers. I have found multiple manuals for the tracktor but they dont show any info for the cutting mowers . Could anyone help ? Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,917 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your new 9000. That's quite a machine you picked up. There aren't many 900/9000s around to begin with, so finding one with a mower, blower, and especially a cab is rare. The VW diesel engine swap is very interesting too. I can't wait to see pics of it blowing snow.

Here is a link to Chip Olde's collection of Gravely manuals, including GMT 900/9000s, and both the 60, and 72 inch decks. You should be able to find everything you're looking for. https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/1261946-free-gravely-manuals.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much . Would one know if there's any dealers in Canada ? Looks like im missing a bunch of parts to reattach the deck. Lol worst case i will fabricate but id rather not. Missing the lifting supports in the middle and both rear arms that attach to the rear. All i have is the lifting cylinder in the middle and the arm that it attaches too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chevy Jay where are you in Canada? There is a dealer in Toronto that is supposed to have lots of stock.
Im up north . In newliskeard/northbay area. I will try to look them up on T.O. cause im sure i will need to get seals and stuff for the leaking transmission thanks !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Chevy Jay where are you in Canada? There is a dealer in Toronto that is supposed to have lots of stock.
You're probably talking Wilton. I remember going there with my Dad as a boy. I heard a couple of years ago that the old man is still around too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wilton’s Lawn Equipment
2989 Bathurst Street
North York, ON. M6B 3B3

There must be a dealer closer to you. I thought I saw a dealer in North Bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wilton’s Lawn Equipment
2989 Bathurst Street
North York, ON. M6B 3B3

There must be a dealer closer to you. I thought I saw a dealer in North Bay.
Thank You !

Yeah there's one in northbay for sure. I'm just thinking if Wilton's would possibly have lots of NOS like guys are saying, i'd have more chances finding parts there. I'm sure parts must be discontinued for this old girl by now ! lol My best guess is late 70's no newer than 81.

·
Super Moderator
10,917 Posts
There's always Richard's (Lawn and Garden) on this side of the boarder. Family owned, and good people. Many of us get our parts from them. They have both new, and good used parts. 1-800-827-4551

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If you can't find parts within a reasonable distance, I have some GMT 9000 parts laying about. :) (I have four of 'em, but only two came with mower decks, and I don't have anything for the batwing mower.)

If the lift bar for the deck is there, the links for that are just flat metal pieces, with some holes in 'em. The rear arms are pretty heavy duty, (and heavy....) shipping to Canada for those would not be inexpensive..... They are pretty straightforward though, and fabricating them wouldn't be too much of a problem. (and I can get you dimensions for those as well.)

In order for the PTO's to be at the proper RPM, engine needs to spin at 3250 RPM. Does your diesel actually do that???

I think the IPL shows dimensions of the seals as well, and it is easy to match them up from pretty much any supplier. Gaskets are still available. (as they used pretty much the same trans, with a few minor differences, on the 8XXX series tractors as well.)

Biggest issue I have found is the trans input shaft. They are no longer available, and the design wasn't the best. On earlier models, the input end of the shaft pokes out of the trans a good 8 inches, (going thru the mid PTO clutch) and if the engine over-revs (less of an issue for you, methinks. :) ) it will snap that shaft, and you are just done. One of my tractors had a different shaft for the brakes, and a support bearing on the end of the shaft. A VERY good idea. Does yours have that bearing? (its on a plate that bolts to the front of the mid-pto clutch.)

A fair few of the bearings and such are standard sizes, and are available everywhere. :)

I have several of these tractors, (as mentioned above) and have been using mine for the last several years to mow my 3 and change acres. It makes short work of a normal lawn, but, tall grass, more than about a foot tall.....) will jam up the center spindle in the mower deck, and smoke the belt in short order. Not a trivial undertaking to change either. I have several threads about my adventures with my GMT 9000's. :) May not hurt to read thru 'em, see if they answer any of your questions. (or brings up new ones.....)

All in all, it has proven to be fairly reliable, if a bit hungry for belts on the mower..... Cuts decent on a maintained lawn, rides pretty nice.

Would LOVE to see some pics of the diesel conversion though. :D

Congrats on the new tractor!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on taking lots of pictures whe i get everything up to snuff .. tracktor need alot of loving. Lol

·
Parts collector
2,777 Posts
VW diesel. COOL! That bugger is going to throw some snow! :thThumbsU

I want to see the vids!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts