My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B250 with a burnt out glow plug resistor, does anyone know if there are 12 volt glow plugs available so I don't have to use the resistor?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a B250 with a burnt out glow plug resistor, does anyone know if there are 12 volt glow plugs available so I don't have to use the resistor?
Thanks
Jim
Jay do some searching on the web for Mercedes Benz glowplug conversions. The Benz plug is the same size as the BD glowplugs. I've also heard of people making adapters to use other glowplugs like the newst GM 6.5 glowplugs.

I need to do this for my IH 424 (BD154 engine).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks
Jim
Why not just put a new resistor/indicator in the dash and use the OEM type glow plugs? They are only rated to operate at less then one volt each, but I've never had any big problems with them. Granted the BD-144 engines with in-line CAV pumps can be poor starters. The later BD-144s (and BD-154s) with CAV rotary pumps start very well.

The correct plug runs on 9/10 ths of volt. That's why they are all run in series, not parallel. Thread size is M18 by 1.50. Mercedes uses the same plugs in the 170D, 180D, and 190D. Also in the Unimog.

The last thing I'd want is any GM plugs made for 6.2 or 6.5 diesels. The only plugs worth using in them is the ones made by Beru in Germany. That's what GM and Ford will sell you now, over the counter. AC Delco stopped making their own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get a Mercedes Benz conversion kit with pencil tip glow plugs for $115. The glow plugs are Bosch F1100-117786, don't know if I will go with individual plugs or the kit. Have to get prices on the plugs.
Thanks for the info.
Jim

·
Registered
853 Posts
Re: Glow Plugs that direct fit . . .

I can get a Mercedes Benz conversion kit with pencil tip glow plugs for $115. The glow plugs are Bosch F1100-117786, don't know if I will go with individual plugs or the kit. Have to get prices on the plugs.
Thanks for the info.
Jim
You do not want a genuine 12 volt plug in a 12 volt system. A diesel with a 12 volt system drops to 9 volts when the starter motor is cranking the engine. So a good plug needs a 9 - 11 volt rating to work well when hooked direct (with no resistor or parallel wiring). The original plugs in the BD-144s run at less then one volt each.

I suggest you find out exactly what they all before you possibly throw away money on something that might not serve you any better.

You can buy a plug direct from Case/International, Champion, etc. that will fit right in and run higher voltage.

Being "pencil tip", i.e. "sheafed" does not necessarily mean an improvement. If they are self-limiting, then yes. But not all "pencil tip" are.

I'm not so sure the poor cold starting of older BD-144s is due to glow plug system anyway. Later BD-144s, with the very same series-wired glow-plug system, but improved pumps and injectors start great. Nice thing about the OEM plugs is they are cheap and available at any NAPA store.

There are over-the-counter glow plugs that have the same thread-pitch and diameter as the original plugs, but run on 9.5 volts instead of 9/10 ths of a volt. That 9.5 volt plug is basically what is usually referred to as a "12 volt" plug. In GMs and Fords, "12 volt" plugs are actually 10.5 volt rated.

The IH (or Mahindra) BD-144 and BD-154 take an OEM plug with 18mm X 1.5 threads with a tip that is 27.5 mms long (1 5/16"). You can buy another plug with the same 18 mm X 1.5 thread that has a slightly longer tip at 37 mms (1 7/16"). It can be direct wired to a push button and full system voltage. Not sure though if you're going to gain anything.

THe higher voltage plug with the same threads is used in 73-76 Peugot 504 diesel cars, several Volvo-Penta engines, Deutz diesels, etc.

Part #s for various brands for the same high-voltage plug:
Dephi # HDS225
AC Delco # 505 GG 93893045
Bosch # 0250 200 420
Case/International # W0041512
Ford # EZD-1
Champion # CH65
NGK # Y-810

·
Registered
853 Posts
I can get a Mercedes Benz conversion kit with pencil tip glow plugs for $115. The glow plugs are Bosch F1100-117786, Jim

I looked up specs on those glow F100-117786 plugs. They are indeed self-limiting, so might work out well. Self-limiting plugs, in theory, won't burn out or blow up when you hook them direct, with no controller - unless you really abuse them. Also appears that have the correct threads, as is (no adapters needed) to fit the IH/Mahindra BD-144.

Now, if they will make the engine start better ?? I don't know. I put fast-heat plugs in my Allis Chalmers ED-40 that also uses a British diesel. Plugs certainly heated faster, but it didn't start any better.

That part # looks suspiciously like a Beru # though. I suspect Beru is making them for Bosch.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The last thing I'd want is any GM plugs made for 6.2 or 6.5 diesels. The only plugs worth using in them is the ones made by Beru in Germany. That's what GM and Ford will sell you now, over the counter. AC Delco stopped making their own.
I've had really good results with my AC 60G in my 6.5TD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: Glow Plugs that direct fit . . .

You do not want a genuine 12 volt plug in a 12 volt system. A diesel with a 12 volt system drops to 9 volts when the starter motor is cranking the engine. So a good plug needs a 9 - 11 volt rating to work well when hooked direct (with no resistor or parallel wiring). The original plugs in the BD-144s run at less then one volt each.

I suggest you find out exactly what they all before you possibly throw away money on something that might not serve you any better.

You can buy a plug direct from Case/International, Champion, etc. that will fit right in and run higher voltage.

Being "pencil tip", i.e. "sheafed" does not necessarily mean an improvement. If they are self-limiting, then yes. But not all "pencil tip" are.

I'm not so sure the poor cold starting of older BD-144s is due to glow plug system anyway. Later BD-144s, with the very same series-wired glow-plug system, but improved pumps and injectors start great. Nice thing about the OEM plugs is they are cheap and available at any NAPA store.

There are over-the-counter glow plugs that have the same thread-pitch and diameter as the original plugs, but run on 9.5 volts instead of 9/10 ths of a volt. That 9.5 volt plug is basically what is usually referred to as a "12 volt" plug. In GMs and Fords, "12 volt" plugs are actually 10.5 volt rated.

The IH (or Mahindra) BD-144 and BD-154 take an OEM plug with 18mm X 1.5 threads with a tip that is 27.5 mms long (1 5/16"). You can buy another plug with the same 18 mm X 1.5 thread that has a slightly longer tip at 37 mms (1 7/16"). It can be direct wired to a push button and full system voltage. Not sure though if you're going to gain anything.

THe higher voltage plug with the same threads is used in 73-76 Peugot 504 diesel cars, several Volvo-Penta engines, Deutz diesels, etc.

Part #s for various brands for the same high-voltage plug:
Dephi # HDS225
AC Delco # 505 GG 93893045
Bosch # 0250 200 420
Case/International # W0041512
Ford # EZD-1
Champion # CH65
NGK # Y-810
Many thanks for this info!!!!!!! :thanku:

·
Registered
853 Posts

Yes, so have I. But, as I said previously, AC 60Gs are not made by AC Delco. They are made by Beru in Germany (or Italy) and repackaged by Delco. The plugs that AC Delco made were crap.

Ford does the same now. All Motorcraft glow plugs are reboxed Berus.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Here's some close-up photos showing the "Beru" on the AC60Gs.

I've had awful problems with plugs actually made by AC Delco. Especially in my Isuzu and GM diesels.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have three different numbers for the Bosch glow plugs that should fit the B250, can someone give me the specs. on these plugs?
Bosch # 0 250 200 420
Bosch # 0 250 201 044
Bosch # F1100-117786

Many Thanks for all the great info.
Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed the Mercedes Benz Glow Plug kit. The relay keeps the plugs on for about 20secs. the tractor starts at colder temperatures then it did before. Very pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I installed the Mercedes Benz Glow Plug kit. The relay keeps the plugs on for about 20secs. the tractor starts at colder temperatures then it did before. Very pleased with the outcome.
Jay where did you get your Benz glow plug kit at and what did it cost?

What all was in the kit?

Did you use the factory wiring?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered on line from AutoPartsWay $115Cad. The kit has four plugs, relay and wires to connect the plugs. I ran a #8 wire from the battery to the relay with a 60 amp. inline fuse, went from relay to first glow plug with same size wire and used supplied wires to connect the other plugs. Connected red wire from relay to original glow plug wire and brown one to ground, didn't use other wires on relay. I also put an indicator light in the dash, ran a wire from first plug to indicator light and other side of light to ground. Push button light comes on after about 20secs. light goes out, start engine.
I sometimes had to plug in the engine even in summer, this morning it was around the freezing point and the tractor started.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Something doesn't make sense. The Mercedes kit should certainly give you faster heat and therefore faster cold starts. But, ultimately, either version basically provides the same glow-plug temps when finally hot. The tractor, if all was working properly, should of started at the same cold temps with the slow-plugs as with the kit with the fast-plugs, but would of taken much longer to heat the plugs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can only state how the tractor started before the glow plug change and how it starts now with nothing else done to the tractor. It was well worth the investment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ordered on line from AutoPartsWay $115Cad. The kit has four plugs, relay and wires to connect the plugs. I ran a #8 wire from the battery to the relay with a 60 amp. inline fuse, went from relay to first glow plug with same size wire and used supplied wires to connect the other plugs. Connected red wire from relay to original glow plug wire and brown one to ground, didn't use other wires on relay. I also put an indicator light in the dash, ran a wire from first plug to indicator light and other side of light to ground. Push button light comes on after about 20secs. light goes out, start engine.
I sometimes had to plug in the engine even in summer, this morning it was around the freezing point and the tractor started.
Do you have a part number and what application/year that you used?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Something doesn't make sense. The Mercedes kit should certainly give you faster heat and therefore faster cold starts. But, ultimately, either version basically provides the same glow-plug temps when finally hot. The tractor, if all was working properly, should of started at the same cold temps with the slow-plugs as with the kit with the fast-plugs, but would of taken much longer to heat the plugs.
I don't know on the Benz type plugs, but the Nissan SD33 came with various glow plugs the older ones were NGK Y-103 got to around 900° F, but the newer plugs like the Y-112 M1 get to +1200° F and also do it faster. Maybe these newer Benz plugs get hotter too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts