My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked this thing up from the neighbor across the street. Does anyone know where any info can be found? I have been unable to find much info on this at all. I know it was made by Gilson for wards. About 30 years old. Has a Briggs and Stratton 16 horse single cylinder cast iron engine. I just had to take the engine out to remove the mouse nest under the shroud. I got the tractor and a snow blower with a front mount push blade for 250. Tractor runs super. Sat for two years plus, and I put a new battery in it and fresh gas. Popped right off and not even a hint of oil smoke at start up.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Looks like yours has an electric lift? Mine has a previous owner custom red brush paint job over unsanded (and probably unwashed) original paint job. I did get a tiller for it a week later from the guy I was bidding against on the tractor. Had to pay more for it than the tractor. Hard to believe as it is.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like yours has an electric lift? Mine has a previous owner custom red brush paint job over unsanded (and probably unwashed) original paint job. I did get a tiller for it a week later from the guy I was bidding against on the tractor. Had to pay more for it than the tractor. Hard to believe as it is.
Mine has the hydraulic lift. Works well.

You are right the vari-drive does not work. Squeals like a stuck pig.:Stop:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
check out my 75$ MW thread

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
I love montgomery wards :)

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
i have a 72

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
werd everybody go/

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I bought mine new back in early '70's. Dos not have a power lift, but did purchase the side chute 48" deck and 36" snow blower. Had to rebuild the deck house, but other than that this thing runs GREAT! I fluid filled the rear tires and added chains and the darned thing will just about climb trees. A real hearty machine. Keep the oil clean and at level in that engine and it's good for decades!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a response from Toro corp. They consumed Lawnboy, who earlier consumed Gilson.

Here is what they wrote. Stand up company if you ask me

Dear Terry Ammerman,

Thank you for taking the time to contact The Toro Company regarding your
recent email. We would be happy to address your inquiry.

Under separate cover, we are in the process of sending you the owner's manual
and parts manual for your unit, please allow up to ten business days for delivery.
These manuals are being sent to you free of charge.

We value you as a Toro customer. Please know that you have an open invitation
to contact us at any time.

Sincerely,

Darcy M.
Customer Care Representative

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Nice tractor and a great response from Toro.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought a Montgomery Ward 15 Variable Speed. Built like a tank. Not yet running...the points and condensor are missing. Does anyone have any information or manual on this machine. Can't wait to crank her up!
Nice find. Yes they are built to last (obviously). take care of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a MW Garden Mark Squire 12. It seemed like an "ok" tractor, but nothing like a Cub Cadet or JD. Not a great deal of info out there on them. I parted mine out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts