My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have mentioned in my last thread, the guy I got my last two machines from asked me to work on his GT19.9 because he didn't have a lot of time, and I have a little more experience on Onans. So I took it home with me, and started by giving it a good cleaning. The machine was very dirty, so I started out by spraying the whole thing down with 2 cans of oven cleaner, which has been the most effective at literally spray it on, wash it off cleaning (you still need to wash it with dish soap or something after you are done, because the oven cleaner can cling a long time)

After the first two cans of oven cleaner, it still had a lot of caked on dirt and grease, so I did two more cans of foamy lemon scent oven cleaner (which seems to work best BTW, even cheap brands, the lemon foamy seems to work best) and that took almost all the grease, and most of the paint off too LOL.

This machine was originally silver and black, then was painted white on a loft of the metal, then painted red and black, and looked terrible. A lot of the red came off when cleaning it, and the black on the frame almost all came off to bare metal. I had to pull the motor out to effectively clean it, and also to grind the steering gear off the bottom of the shaft so I could change the dash because the steering wheel was rusty welded on...

When I got the motor out, I realized almost all the bolts on the engine tins were missing, the starter was wedged into the frame with boards because the top bolt boss was broken off the block, and the starter was all loose on the motor because the one ear that was bolted on had been broken off, and re-welded back on. So I had to pull the flywheel, and drill and tap the block where the boss broke off, then put spacers in behind the starter, and get it on the block, then put the flywheel back on, and set the lash to the flywheel before tightening it up the last time.

Then I did a tune up on the motor, plugs, cleaned carb, sealed the intake, oil and filter, set the points and filed them clean.

I cleaned up some wiring issued when I swapped the dash in, I put a better non-broken nose cone on the tractor that the owner had, and while I was at it, because most of the paint came off, I had to repaint it because I can't send an ugly tractor back to the owner. I got all the wiring set, headlights in, taillight working, new drive belt, new fuel line and filter, new fuel pump, new air filter, and got it running again.

I was gonna post all the pictures here, but I made a quick youtube video, so I will post the link here

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
annnnnd as payment for doing this work, I got two more Suburbans :) remember, this guy bought 36 tractors including over 25 Suburbans, and several customs.

He let me pick two tractors, and gave me money to pay back the parts I used to get his machine back up and running well.

so here are the two newest additions to the fleet.

1967 Super 12, been repainted fairly well, but looks like quite a while ago, and the grille has been repaired with a pretty unique method. Has a newer motor in it with the larger oil pan. I think it will run, I haven't tried yet. At least I got batteries on these, even if they're just for cores.

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and here is the other one I got, another 1969 SS12.

It is definitely not as nice, but it's pretty complete.

Paint is really bad, some weird fixes like some aluminum rod drilled and tapped with set screws on the mule drive cover pins, but like I said, pretty much complete and mostly original. I have the missing grille piece for this one and the 67 Super 12 as well.

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I got these unloaded yesterday, I got out into my garage, moved a ton of stuff around, and was able to stuff all my new acquisitions inside.

My wife said, I can have as many as I can fit in the garage, because she does not want to see the yard fill up with tractors. She didn't say I couldn't put them behind the garage though :)

I do have a feeling I may get more machines from my buddy, and if anyone is looking for parts or project tractors, he has a ton of 1967 Super 12's, and maybe a half dozen 1969-1972 machines, quite a few customs, hoods, grilles, fenders, hubs, mower decks, I think 6 haban snowblowers, some 3 point hitches... He has a ton of stuff lol

here is a video of my garage now, I have 25 complete tractors including my kids two, and one machine completely dis-assembled. I was debating selling my hydrotrac that I was building and the 18/6 frame I have dis-assembled, but I haven't decided yet.

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
Nice cleanup on the 19.9. :thThumbsU Thats a nice collection of suburbans you've got there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have most of my SS 12 left, almost ready to start a "refresh" not a "restore". Likely repaint the hood that is all surface rusted now, and may touch up the blue frame a bit, but mostly get the old Tecumseh cleaned out and running. Idle circuit is blocked. The only things I can't find in my stuff are the rear fenders and the pulley cover. I swear I stored them somewhere in my garage or attic 25 years ago, but so far no joy. May need to do some work to locate replacements.

Needs a good cleaning due to shed dust/dirt, and new oil in the trans. And although the tires hold air, they need a TireJect treatment as there are some dry rot cracks. Otherwise, except for my long gone mower deck, it is just about all there.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have most of my SS 12 left, almost ready to start a "refresh" not a "restore". Likely repaint the hood that is all surface rusted now, and may touch up the blue frame a bit, but mostly get the old Tecumseh cleaned out and running. Idle circuit is blocked. The only things I can't find in my stuff are the rear fenders and the pulley cover. I swear I stored them somewhere in my garage or attic 25 years ago, but so far no joy. May need to do some work to locate replacements.

Needs a good cleaning due to shed dust/dirt, and new oil in the trans. And although the tires hold air, they need a TireJect treatment as there are some dry rot cracks. Otherwise, except for my long gone mower deck, it is just about all there.
post pictures when you start working on it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts