My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen concentrated crab grass killer at Lowes/Walmart - I believe it has 2,4d and a few others chemicals in it.. Not sure which works specifically on the crabgrass though

b

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
Is this in your lawn? or a field of fescue?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Crabgrass is an annual meaning it must reproduce from seed every year. The only way to get rid of it is to prevent the seed from germinating. A pre-emergent herbicide is applied in the spring when the soil reaches 52 degrees. Several 'weed and feed' products are available. Read the label and if it doesn't specially treat crabgrass germination it won't work. 24D is a broad leaf herbicide and won't touch crabgrass. This soil temperature thing is very important. There is usually only about a 3 day window to apply the pre-emergent herbicide. You can actually take the temperature of the soil,that's the way the big boys do it, or watch for the last day the forsythia blooms. Don't expect first time complete results because this stuff is very hardy. Keep the grass mowed so the seed does not mature.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crabgrass is an annual meaning it must reproduce from seed every year. The only way to get rid of it is to prevent the seed from germinating. A pre-emergent herbicide is applied in the spring when the soil reaches 52 degrees. Several 'weed and feed' products are available. Read the label and if it doesn't specially treat crabgrass germination it won't work. 24D is a broad leaf herbicide and won't touch crabgrass. This soil temperature thing is very important. There is usually only about a 3 day window to apply the pre-emergent herbicide. You can actually take the temperature of the soil,that's the way the big boys do it, or watch for the last day the forsythia blooms. Don't expect first time complete results because this stuff is very hardy. Keep the grass mowed so the seed does not mature.
Thanks I did not know that crab grass is an annual! :thanku:

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
A pre-emergent herbicide is applied in the spring when the soil reaches 52 degrees.
This soil temperature thing is very important. There is usually only about a 3 day window to apply the pre-emergent herbicide. You can actually take the temperature of the soil,that's the way the big boys do it, or watch for the last day the forsythia blooms
Great info captndan.

Knowledge of the signs is timeless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts