My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have some new rear tires for my cub. I got them on the rims. With smaller tires I have always been able to lube the rim and jiggle my air pump and the tire seats and all is well. However with these big ones that does not seem to be working. :banghead3

They are a little dented from shipping but pretty close to round. Is there a trick to getting them to seat?

·
Super Moderator
29,533 Posts
put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. tighten it enough to bow the sides and press the bead tight. put in just enough air to start seating the bead, then release the strap.

a safer method than the strap is to use a rope/chain and put a pipe in it. then twist the pipe to tighten it. this way you cna let go of the pipe to allow it to unwind.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davidg you may be my hero.:thanku: that is a great idea. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.:thThumbsU

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
BTW, sit the tires out in the sun for a couple of hours, flipping them every hour. That will take some of the deformation out of them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. tighten it enough to bow the sides and press the bead tight. put in just enough air to start seating the bead, then release the strap.

a safer method than the strap is to use a rope/chain and put a pipe in it. then twist the pipe to tighten it. this way you cna let go of the pipe to allow it to unwind.
And if it still won't seal enoughto take air youcan pack grease around it to seal it done this several times:thThumbsU

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
The best of the best....
This works 100% and it's easy...
Take a portable tank with a 1-1/2" outlet and put a ball valve
and a nozzle as in the picture...
Hook up the air hose to the tire and point the portable tank at the
open space on the rim... Open the valve and hang on...
The blast of air with seal the tire to the rim fast...
The force will push you back a few feet...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I brought mine to a tire shop yesterday to have them mounted. Cost $20.

Never thought of the strap idea. Very smart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I put on my All Trails, I got one to seat, and the other one nearly killed me, trying to get the tire on the rim. The one that I did get on, I used the strap and it worked perfectly.

No idea why the other one was such a pain.

I spent about 5 hours one friday night, and finally quit --- feeling dejected, overcome and exhausted.

The next morning, I drove to the tire shop, paid $5 and was home 20minutes later with my new tire on and inflated.

They did use one of those cheeta air-blasters and it did look like he was having a helluva time getting it to seat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A small amount of ether and a torch can be used, though its not safe at all and will damage you and your brand new tire if you use too much.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
A small amount of ether and a torch can be used, though its not safe at all and will damage you and your brand new tire if you use too much.
I'm surprised it took until post #9 for this idea. I guess the safety nazis have instilled fear in us all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The first time I saw that done was in Iceland when one of their massive glacier crossing trucks broke a bead (since they only run them with 2-3 psi for traction.) Since there's no machine with them to reseat the bead, this is pretty much the only way to fix it. I was shocked how well it worked given the size of the tire when I first saw it. They key is that "less is more" when it comes to the amount of ether/starting fluid used.

Usually, I use the strap method myself, but I've also used rope with a stick when I didn't have a strap handy which works just as well. It's a bit more work since you need to put a stick or bar around the rope and keep twisting it around until you put enough pressure on the tire to inflate it. Just be careful not to let go of the stick otherwise it will whip around as the rope untwists due to the tension on it.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
When I put on my All Trails, I got one to seat, and the other one nearly killed me, trying to get the tire on the rim. The one that I did get on, I used the strap and it worked perfectly.

No idea why the other one was such a pain.

I spent about 5 hours one friday night, and finally quit --- feeling dejected, overcome and exhausted.

The next morning, I drove to the tire shop, paid $5 and was home 20minutes later with my new tire on and inflated.

They did use one of those cheeta air-blasters and it did look like he was having a helluva time getting it to seat.
Five hours of my Friday night is worth a heck of a lot more than $5.00. :trink39:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok that starter fluid thing is cool...but I don't think that would go over well if I needed to buy a new tire. strap it is!

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Ok that starter fluid thing is cool...but I don't think that would go over well if I needed to buy a new tire. stap it is!
Good move ... I was surely not suggesting that method :Stop:.. just showing it ..

I have used the strap method many times with great success :fing32: :goodl:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Good move ... I was surely not suggesting that method :Stop:.. just showing it ..

I have used the strap method many time with great success :fing32: :goodl:
You mean like your avatar does not advocate sticking a knife into an outlet? I don't think a butterknife would even fit. I used a giant hairpin and I stuck it into both openings! That sucker got real hot, real quick and branded my thumb but good.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You mean like your avatar does not advocate sticking a knife into an outlet? I don't think a butterknife would even fit. I used a giant hairpin and I stuck it into both openings! That sucker got real hot, real quick and branded my thumb but good.
My brother used an H.O. railroad track. The things kids do?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
When I had my rental business, we did all our own tires, even on skid steers. I bought a beed seater (Cheetah), best $300 I ever spent. It was pricey because it was an ASME tank. No more straps, ether (which I didn't use) or wasted time. The bigger the tire, the more air you charged the tank with, and the bigger noise you got when you opened the valve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have a small air comp. take out the inside of the valve stem , you'll get more air in the tire and use a rope or strap around tire to seal the bead.

Good Luck :fing32:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts