My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 340 International tractor. It is a good tractor with the exception of not enough power. I do my food plots for deer hunting and it has the power to do everything I want with the exception of plowing my 7 acre plot. It can do it but it is an 8 hour job.

I am looking for more power out of my tractor. I do have some blow by but it is minor. I have an oil bath. Would a K&N type of air filter help? I have looked into bigger pistons to the cost of about $1000.00. That is always an option but what kind of power increase do you think I would see?

I love the size of my tractor and really dont want anything bigger. It fits my 16' trailer well and is easy to transport.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
If you want to test your theory about improved aspiration, just take off the oil bath for a couple of minutes when conditions aren't too dusty and compare. My guess is you won't notice much difference. You would probably notice a bigger difference plowing when the air is cool.

Bigger pistons will give you more CI displacement but also better compression. Have you tested the compression?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
:Welcome1:

Great to have you here. Enjoy.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
kman522

I moved your post over here Big Tractors by Brand/IH Farmall
so hopefully you will get a better response to your questions.
:MTF_wel2: We are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to test your theory about improved aspiration, just take off the oil bath for a couple of minutes when conditions aren't too dusty and compare. My guess is you won't notice much difference. You would probably notice a bigger difference plowing when the air is cool.

Bigger pistons will give you more CI displacement but also better compression. Have you tested the compression?
I do have good compression on all cylinders which makes me think the blow by isnt hurting me to bad???

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could look into getting high compression piston, same bore size so no machine work to increase power. having the head milled to raise compression is also an easy trick. You might also check the govenor and make sure it moves good and that the springs aren't getting bad, we had that problem on the Super H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts