My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planting my usually planting time is only two weeks away....yet the ground is still too wet and too cold:crybaby:. Wondering if it'll be ready on time.....This time of year I always have a sense of anticipation to get out and drive that planter thru the ground:fing32: Anybody else, getting anxious?

·
Registered
470 Posts
me too, I went out this morning and checked the ground temp at it's 49 degrees here in wny. I am going to till this weekend but it need the temp to rise about 5-7 degrees before I plant anything, and the temps don't look good through the next week or so. I think It will be the first of may for me. on a better note I ordered my drip system yesterday.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
30 dg F. and another 3 inches of of..... stuff.... and the ground is hard as nails yet up here in MN. last year at this time, it was a totaly different scenario :-(

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I took a risk and planted a month early near Roanoke VA!!

Corn is up!!

Peas.

:fing32:

Keep hoping for warm weather.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I too can't wait, Last year was great this year weather is all messed up, But I do have spinach planted which is just now coming up an also I have cabbage, broccolli, cauliflower, lettuce, potatoes an onions planted.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I planted (from seed) on April 1st (no fooling). Had the plot hand dug back in March, so April 1st was the third turning over. I'm just south of Boston.
Today (4/19), I checked the progress. Have beets and raddishes coming up. Didn't have time to check on the other stuff (cukes, pumpkins, winter squash, watermellow, corn, cantelope, and something else (I forgot to put a tag on it)).
Second planting (of everything) going in this weekend. May even put in a tomatoe plant left over from 2012 season. :thThumbsU
Trying to talk myself into doubling the size of the plot, just so I can use my 'new to me' Econo Horse tiller. If it works out this year, double the size again in 2014 so I can use the Gilson with moldboard plow and rear tiller. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Potatoes....I knew I forgot something.

·
Registered
739 Posts
engine2quarters, Isn't it too cold there yet to put in corn, watermelon, cantelope and corn since they are warm weather crops.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Stan...I thought it was too cold too, but each plant is started about 6 inches down deep, each hill is inside a styrofoam coffee cup (minus the coffee and the bottom), then the hole is covered with a 2-liter bottle, like a greenhouse, with the top cap either on or off, depending on the temperature.
Last night we got about an inch of rain, filled the 2 gutter down spout barrels (55 gals. each). Looked at the corn, cukes, etc., each just starting to poke thru the soil. Next weekend, I'll raise the styrofoam cup and backfill until the plant tops are just above the dirt, re-install the cup and plastic greenhouse.
Starting deep gives each plant a deeper root system, too, especially for the corn, to withstand the winds, so they won't fall over as easy. Next crop will be 6 - 8 inches away from the earlier planting.
Tomatoe planting is off until next weekend. The plants have new 'flowers' so want to keep them on as long as possible.
Second seed crop planting may be off until mid-week, after the dirt dries out abit.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's a great idea an setup, Here in PA there calling for temps of 25% tonight so I went out an covered my crops, Boy this weather is really weird this year.

·
close enuff works for me
3,154 Posts
snow on the roof,, and 25degrees in west Michigan ,this morning,,,,,not planting today,and tomorrow doesn't look to good either..:banghead3

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Yea, but, for you guys up north get warm weather all of a sudden.

We have to suffer through this 55- 65 degree temps for weeks, waiting for it to warm up.:crybaby:

:swow:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Potatoes and onions were planted a week ago Sunday nd it had rainedevery day but yesterday since. The fall planted garlic is about 6 inches high.
I need a week of dry weather to dry things out. so I can till and get the radishes and lettuce in.
Not much is going to happen till the ground warms up to 55 degrees, so regardless of when you normmally plant, don;t get too antsy till the ground warms up.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Played in the garden yeterday, put in the second planting of everything. I put radishes in the carrot line,, beets in the radish line, etc. Just to be different.
Dirt was nice and warm, then got wet about 3 inches down.
Put the bottle caps on the top of the covers, predicting frost this week. Starting Wednesday, 60 and above.
Going to relocate a couple maple trees (24 inch high) to the 'pot' area, making room for a couple raised boxes for the potatos. Anyone plant potatos inside old tires?
I've got some bush pea seeds around someplace, and an extra 20 ft. of tilled dirt by my barn.
Unearthed a bucket of bulbs (all sprouting) when cleaning out the leanto. Wonder where I can put them?
Onion sets in this weekend, after the local tractor show/pull.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday I went out to check soil condition, and the moisture content is way down. Probably dry enough already. I have two large gardens, I was able to work the first one, spread out and harrowed in some "Chicken dust" and amendments. Planting 4 rows of bluelake bush beans, and one rows of Chard in that one. Last, and largest will try to get some work don on this weekend. Planting 7 rows of Silverqueen, a row of butternut, a row of spaghetti, couple more bean rows, tomatoes pepper etc.

Might try to double crop the my bean bed this year. harvest will be in early july, thinking about planting sugar and gold sweetcorn, super early variety ready to go in about 60 days.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Maple seedlings are sprouting up everywhere. Just pulled them out and plunked them into a coffee cup of dirt and water. Hope to get atleast 5 that survive to add to the growing area. Got 3 rather nice ones about 4 ft. high,, ready for planting along the lot line. Last one didn't survive. The tractor ran over it.
More beans and peas went in. I'm running out of places to put stuff.

·
Registered
739 Posts
engine2quarters, Sure wish I had some of those seedlings, njdeerefan it sounds like you got a great garden going, I personnelly plant all butter & sugar corn and I did put some tomatoe plants in yesterday.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have about a 50 ft soft Maple in the yard about 50 ft from the garden.
And the garden has loads of maple seedings sprout every year.
Do you pot them or put them in a nursery row.
I have little shelter from the wind for about 30 miles to the NW.
I'm tempted to start a nursery row, to eventually start a Wind Break(Iowa Term/Shelterbelt. I really don't like them in the yard(Too Messy) but would not mind them a few hundred ft from the house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts