My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our boom has decided not to start, it turns over and runs while I am holding the start switch but then when I let go it sputters out. I changed the alternator because it wasn't charging very well, and the genie service manual flow chart led me to changing the ignition module which did not solve the problem. I've resorted to changing any wires I find that are damaged but not having any luck. It ran fine before it was parked. It's a 1999 genie z60/34 with a ford LRG gas engine. The battery is also new, and the engine has been tuned up and runs great until you release that switch. There does not appear to be a diagnostic connector to read any fault codes. Any help with where to look would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking your time to read my problem.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Maybe a bad ignition switch? On old iron with points ignition, there is a ignition coil resistor that is bypassed while cranking. If that resistor fails, it only runs while cranking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so on the ignition switch - you flip it to either side to start then it it supposed to stay running when returned to the center. Unless this switch is broken and is supposed to stay to one side? I noticed the fuel pump is only getting 7v up until the start relay kicks in, then it goes to 13v while running then drops to zero when I let go of the start toggle. Going to try runing it constant 12v and see what happens

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have an electrical schematic I can upload if anyone has any other ideas? I have a feeling there is a problem with the auxiliary power control circuit but I should be able to run that disconnected? Also I tried running 12v constant power to the fuel pump, it runs without shutting off but the engine still dies when I release the start toggle. I've never been so perplexed over something like i am right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I would definitely like to know is what the proper voltage reading at terminal#4 on the ignition start module is supposed to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It still dies. I also found a faulty diode in the auxillary power circuit, unfortunately I am having an awful hard time finding one to replace it with. I also found an older service manual today and will try this flow chart but if this doesn't work I'm completely stumped until I can try a new diode, but I thought it should run without that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so update on this:
When I had initially tested the vacuum pressure switch it appeared to be working, but I think it was needing too much vacuum to close. Changed it out with a new one and it's running great!

·
Administrator
17,891 Posts
Okay so update on this:
When I had initially tested the vacuum pressure switch it appeared to be working, but I think it was needing too much vacuum to close. Changed it out with a new one and it's running great!
Nice job in trouble shooting. Glad you were able to solve it and get everything running again. Also, thanks for coming back and letting us know what the problem was. Could be helpful for someone in the future.
MikeC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts